Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
NeoTed
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-11-2014, 04:22 PM

Toys for mental stimulation

Can anyone recommend any toys they have used for mental stimulation please? We are looking after and assessing a SBT x possible Manchester terrier.
He is always on the look out for 'something' and however many walks (interesting field/woods/rural) he has, he is always up for 'something' else.
He's smart, which is probably his undoing. When not stimulated or occupied he is not happy. He also suffers S/A.
I want to try something in between his walks and Im too old for agility! which would probably suit his activity level and intelligence.
I dont want 'food filled kong' suggestions please
ndidi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2014, 06:03 PM
Hi
I have got a kong wobbler for my dog who is a very intelligent and also has got mild S/a and destroys bit when left. here is link to one. http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/d...ck_toys/183622

Seem to work very well for a while but she has worked out how to unscrew it/. But it worked amazing but I gave to it her everyday for most of a year and now she has figured it out.
So I have got her a another toy which has varying skill level which has worked very well so far. here is a link to that http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/d...ck_toys/185859
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/d...og_toys/318577 this one also looks quite hard for the dogs to work out.

Not sure if that is what you were looking for but hope it help some.

Ndidi
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2014, 06:30 PM
Try putting 'dog puzzle toy' into the search on Ebay and you might get one or two ideas there
Wolfwitch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-11-2014, 08:27 PM
It's not really the weather for it, but don't forget that Terriers love nothing more than digging. Usually directing the dog to places that are OK to dig and designating a few spots in your garden where you bury treats/ toys for him will prevent a lot of digging in spots you don't want dug.

Other than that the simple things are often the best, if he loves to chew then get him something he can sink his teeth into without the chance of it getting destroyed?

Have to admit I am a big fan of the Kong products, but as requested, shall refrain from suggesting
NeoTed
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-11-2014, 09:00 AM
Thank you everyone. It wasn't so much that I didnt want to use kongs, but many people are happy to use just those and you then get no other suggetsions!
I wanted something for when I am there with him, so can be a toy that needs supervision. It wasnt really for the S/A either as he's only left for a couple of hours once a week (and luckily is not destructive) It was more to see if I am correct in thinking that mental stimulation is what is needed.
We've never had a dog like this! Always had bull breeds and mastiffs, that for the most time, really cannot be bothered with extras between walks, food and sleep
Wolfwitch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-11-2014, 01:43 PM
I grew up with Fox Terriers, so I can imagine a little bit what a Staff x MT might be like.
If he's anything like them, he'll love a good ole' game of Tug 'o War and anything from an old towel to a dog rope will do for that.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2014, 02:25 PM
Guess the hand (put treat in one hand, offer both hands to dog - closed fist ' and he has to indicate which hand the treat is in to get it)

Training games to help calm - leave it, stays (both taking concentration and calm)

If you have a bit of garden available, weave poles (can be canes stuck in the grass), mini jumps (broom handle rested on a brick each side)

Other training games - weave in and out of legs, go to bed, fetch the toy you indicate with other toys around

All things to help him think and tire his mind
Vicky88
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-11-2014, 02:33 PM
Holly has this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kyjen-Puzzle...ide+a+squirrel
I put a ball inside, put the squirrels in and she tries to get the ball out. She loves it!.
I also just hide her ball in the house and she has to find it. Or I hide and she has to find me.
Jakesmummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-11-2014, 02:38 PM
A big old hide chew always goes down well or a roasted knuckle bone .kongs really do get them thinking.
U can even make your own with thick carbroad tube and lots of old wrapping paper.
My collie is never happy doing nothing and a hide chew keeps him happy for a good hour or so.
Lindsay&River
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-12-2014, 10:41 PM
Another thing you could try if you haven't already is to feed him all of his meals from the Kongs and other puzzle-type toys. Like, ditch the bowls all together so he's always "working" in some way for his food.