Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
davidgossett
New Member!
Male 

19-11-2014, 07:17 PM

Dog food

Hi all. My new puppy I just adopted that's about give or take 4 to 6 months old. The owners said thay where feeding her o roy from Wal-Mar the adult food is this ok? Thanks
David
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-11-2014, 07:36 PM
Ol Roy dog food does not get a very good review.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-fo...-dog-food-dry/
davidgossett
New Member!
Male 

20-11-2014, 12:28 AM
Thanks I didn't think it was that bad. But being on budget what is a good choice? We just had a new tractor supply open are there food any good? I'm not trying to be cheap on my dog but it looks like I need to change. Thanks for the advice.
David
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-11-2014, 04:08 AM
Okay, I have looked for personal message option...and I will come out of my closet. I have fed my dogs Beneful for 8 years plus and if they were any healthier they would eat us in our sleep. IMHO it doesn't make a difference, some people will say Ol' Roy is killing your pup, but really...
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2014, 09:45 AM
I personally would look for the meat content first in any food or fish content and then see what the second ingredients is. If it is rice then see how much there is in it and then go onto veggies and derivatives. What breed is your pup? At the age that it is it could go onto an adult food. Not life stages.
davidgossett
New Member!
Male 

20-11-2014, 12:22 PM
She is a Brittney Spaniel. About 4 to 6 months old. Thanks for the help.
David
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-11-2014, 02:18 PM
http://www.petfoodrecall.org/2014/02...-food-recalls/

at the very least all other things aside the fact that it contains BHA i wouldnt feed it to a wild rat never mind a dog

BHA has been indicated in the cause of stomach cancer and also contributes to learning difficulties and hyperactivity in humans
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-11-2014, 02:19 PM
Walmart: Recall Ol Roy Dog and Cat food. Pet Owners - Change.org
https://www.change.org/.../walmart-r...-cat-food-pet- owners-boycott-this-product‎Cached
Ol Roy dog food has many ingredients from China (including Menadione... a
controversial form of vitamin K linked to liver toxicity, allergies and the...

i cant open the link at work but the first line doesnt sound promising
MGB
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-12-2014, 10:24 PM
Ol Roy is not the best food for your puppy.. a good rule that I like to follow is "if you can buy it in a grocery store or big box store, its not great dog food".
The price is a little steeper but I would absolutely suggest Acana food (if it is available where you live). There are a ton of bonuses to this brand of food, a few being that it is manufactured in Canada with local ingredients, no fillers or additives, meat comes in fresh and nothing in the food is watered down. I would suggest doing a little research on this specific brand and see what you think.
My 3 dogs of varying ages and breed have been on it since I got them.. all are extremely healthy and happy. Plus THEY love the food too, which makes meal time a treat for them
As I mentioned it is a little more expensive ..but because of the high quality you don't need to feed as much to your dog for him to get the nutrients he needs (plus you would be shocked at how much less they poop in comparison..the brands loaded with fillers just go straight thru the dog)
Another area that you will save money in the long run is on vet expenses. Healthy dog means less vet visits
Anyway good luck and enjoy your new little puppy!!
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-12-2014, 12:50 PM
I'll fully endorse all that MGB says about Acana dog food. My two are normally fed on a "home cooked" diet but I like to keep a small quantity of kibble in the house for emergencies. Acana is expensive over here as it's imported from Canada and just recently I've found a kibble made in Italy which is far less expensive but the equivalent of Acana. It's Farmina N&D (Nice and Delicious) Grain Free. I understand it's obtainable in the USA but not quite sure about the UK or Canada.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >