Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jakesmummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-10-2014, 07:53 PM

Border collie red eyes

my 8 month old collie has always had red eyes at night at first I though he was tired but some morning there gunky , I took him to the vets who yes it was his second eye lid and was fine but last night he was rubbing at them .i had to give him some antihistamine ,this morning they were bright as a button. But now he is rubbing then again tonight. Any ideas ?.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2014, 08:38 PM
Think I would take him back to the vet tbh.Something is causing him discomfort or pain in his eyes.Could be a simple wee infection or allergy but best to double check what's going on.Mine has dry eye,lost a eye due to an ulcer but she used to rub at hers.Not saying that Jake has the same but worth getting a Schirmer tear test done while you're there,it takes 2 seconds.If he's not producing enough,it's easily managed with drops.Hope he's ok xx
Jakesmummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-10-2014, 08:42 PM
Yes il ask for that to be done ,his eyes look wet if u no what I mean but I guess that means nothing , but il take him next week, when other half has the car back ,for now il bath them with warm salt water and give him some antihistamine if he goes to mad at them xx
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2014, 08:53 PM
Salt water is great,Good luck
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2014, 08:15 AM
Please don't use salt as that can scratch the eye and can be very painful. If you can, get some euphrasia this good for bathing when it has dissolved completely or you can give it orally in tablet form. But get the vet to look for entropion or collie eye anomaly. Don't wait go soon.
Little Monkeys
New Member!
Female 

16-12-2014, 04:16 PM
Hi, we have 2 collies and one of them gets red eyes. I joke that he looks like a cartoon character when the whites of their eyes are full of red blood vessels! Anyway, when he was a pup, his eyes used to be quite gunky. We did have him checked out a few times, but nothing was found and the gunkiness cleared up. He still gets red eyes and it is only when he is tired. The vets said that as he wasn't rubbing at them and there were no other symptoms, it was probably unnecessarily invasive to investigate further. Not suggesting it's the same scenario as yours, but just thought it was worth mentioning
Jakesmummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-12-2014, 05:46 PM
Hay little monkey. That jake to a T. When he is tired he looks blood shot like his been up all night or got a hang over lol.he still get gunky alittle sometimes . Not as bad as it was. We treated him with drops from the vets and now he just has the red tired eyes . Ty for replying xx
Little Monkeys
New Member!
Female 

16-12-2014, 05:59 PM
Hi! Hope his problem gets better. Btw, my boys are tri-colour too, so handsome, don't you think?! They are 5 1/2 now and the red eyes never went.