Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
halfpenny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-10-2014, 08:20 PM

Jake has lost his eye.

Jake is a 15 year old border collie we took in, in May. His owners were moving and had to Rehome Jake and their other dog, Jade ( an 11 year old collie). They have settled well, but on Sunday Jake had a sore eye, which I thought was conjunctivitis, but on Monday morning when I took him in, turned out to be a 'melting' ulcer. We started him on 3 tyoes of meds hourly, from 6am to midnight and meds at 3 am , Tuesday and Wednesday. This morning his eye ruptured, which was a big risk with this kind of ulcer.
He has come through the op, and is home with me, I'll spend the night with him and take him with me tomorrow to ensure he doesn't get knocked by the other dogs.
Has anybody any advice on how to make the transition for having 2 eyes to one, any easier for him ?
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2014, 08:35 PM
Went through this with mine Halfpenny.Last April Lacey lost her eye to an ulcer too,she was 10 at the time.I know exactly how you feel but trust me Jake will be fineLooking back I was a disaster,worrying about things that never happened,dogs are amazing they adjust,it's the owners that tend to fall apart I padded the place out thinking she'd be bumping into everything and hurt herself Completely smothered her and seriously she got on the best.First few days she did have one or two minor bumps,some dogs have those with two eyes .Makes absolutely no difference tbh,she is exactly the same,does everything she always did.Wouldn't even know.If I had to do it again,I'd have done it sooner.The trouble and pain that her eye caused her wasn't worth trying to hold on to it.
Sending a gentle ( hug) to Jake and a massive one to you( hug)I have no doubt he will astonish you
Norma808
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-10-2014, 08:47 PM
Totally agree with Lacey 100% Jake will adjust to the loss of the eye
My daughters 13 yr old lab is blind in 1eye and very limited vision in the other ,you would never guess the way she romps about ,it certainly doesn't hold her back in any way
susannah92
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-10-2014, 08:50 PM
I don't have any experience of this condition but just wanted to wish Jake well - I hope he is soon recovered from the surgery and able to live a good life.
Hugs from Roxy and me to Jake and you
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2014, 09:25 PM
My 13 year old Beardie had an eye removed in August. I was really worried before that he would be frightened but to be honest my fears were groundless. OK he sometimes bangs into things on his blind side but as long as things don't get moved in the house he's fine most of the time.

He does rely on his sense of smell more now but can still beat the cats to a bit of food on the floor Hope your boy does as well as Cava has done.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-10-2014, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by susannah92 View Post
I don't have any experience of this condition but just wanted to wish Jake well - I hope he is soon recovered from the surgery and able to live a good life.
Me too. Good luck , Jake .

Alison
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2014, 11:00 AM
An Afghan I owned lost an eye through ulcers and her remaining eye was not good and she had a graft to help. She only had peripheral vision in that eye but managed very well. Kept things in the house in the same place and she hardly ever bumped into things. They seem to adapt very well

Gentle hugs to Jake but I am sure you will see that he is still the same dog in a few days time.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-10-2014, 09:51 AM
my friends curly coat retriever had to have one of his out and hes fine.

They just walk him with his missing eye to the inside and dont 'surprise' him on his blind side
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2014, 10:00 AM
Dobermonkey is right in what they say. Also make sure that everyone speaks before touching and also that you keep things as normal in the house. We have one that comes to classes and gradually he is getting better with knowing anything that is untoward is not necessarily going to get him. Dogs that lose sight have their other senses take over. Unless they are hard of hearing. So smell, hearing and touch sensitivity are a big help.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2014, 12:21 PM
Roodee lost an eye due to an accident, not only has it not affected him at all, he wasn't even bothered about having his eye damaged at any time. He was at the vets within 20 minutes of the accident & never stopped wagging his tail ! Don't worry dogs live for the now & of all their senses sight is the weakest
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >