Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
squeakzzz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-09-2014, 01:26 AM

Tearing up the house

Nothing major and has been happening for the passed few days. Mostly things strung out and knocked over. She doesn't do anything when I am around and I am not sure how to go about this. I read somewhere that when you come home to this sort of situation, dogs don't comprehend they are in trouble for tearing up the house because it happened way before you got back. Need some advice.

Absolutely will not consider crating.
Will not leave her outside (dog stealing is a problem in my city)

I have tried:
blocked off kitchen and bathroom.
Given her puzzles to keep her busy like a kong.
Took her on her hiking walk before leaving.

I wish dogs could talk sometimes
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-09-2014, 09:24 AM
One has to ask why you won't consider a crate?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-09-2014, 10:21 AM
How long do you leave her, and how often?
squeakzzz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-09-2014, 03:19 PM
Not crating is my own personal opinion.

And she is alone for 3 hrs a day on 3 days out of week.
She doesn't chew things up. She just got into this habit of stringing things out like papers, books, couch cushions, blankets, etc. I was watching her lastnight and when she is knocking things over like ny tree and such, she is chasing a fly. Covered up the hole under the door that is bringing them in.
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-09-2014, 04:27 AM
It's possible she's missing you-- could be a separation thing, or maybe you just provide way better games than she gets while on her own. She likes stringing things out, and the standard puzzles aren't doing it for her. If you don't mind a mess, maybe you could provide her with more wreck-oriented, non-damaging puzzles? Some friends of mine have this sweet little dog who loves to RIP THINGS APART, and they hide treats around the house:
wrapped in paper
in a box
wrapped in paper
in a paper bag
shoved in a corner where it's hard to get out

and then when she's solved that one, there's another...
FluffHippo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-09-2014, 07:43 AM
I was dead set against crates. Hated the thought of them. But after a year of two malamutes ripping up my house, three leather sofas, important documents etc I was going to rehome them. I was at my wits end. I couldn't leave the house without them doing something while I was away.
Then while enquiring about rehoming them a friend mentioned crates. I haven't looked back since. It was the best thing I did for myself and my dogs. They love it as it is a place for them to feel safe and relax and I have my life back.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-09-2014, 08:01 AM
If you use crates from when they are puppies they treat them as a place of safety or as their own space. We used to leave to crate door open and often a dog would be found in there fast asleep even in later life
kaydaraider
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-09-2014, 06:52 PM
yeah I hate to suggest what you have already told us you won't consider, but crating has really worked for my dog as well. We had her sleep in there when she was a puppy and potty training (we rent our home and can not afford to replace soiled or chewed furniture/carpet), and would let her out a few times a night to go. Now that she is older she doesn't sleep in there any more, but she does recognize it as a safe space that is her own.

She is still only 8 months and a husky, so will wreck the house when we leave. When we can't bring her with us, that is where she goes (never more than a few hours). She is ok with it because she knows that she will get to go run as soon as we get back.

I have had friends that don't want to crate their dog because they have previously used the crate as a punishment, and don't want him to think he is being punished for no reason. If this is the case, you could try putting her in the crate when you are home and in the room with her, to show her that it is ok and sometimes the crate is just part of the day. Also always be sure to do something fun when you get home and let her out of the crate, after a few times she will remember that after this, I get to have fun.

one more thing--a lot of people have the misconception that a crate has to be a small, uncomfortable and restricting cage. this is not true! if you can fit it in your home, there are some very large ones that allow your dog to move/walk around and stretch. you could also put a doggie bed in there.

If you are not going to budge on trying a crate, the only thing I could really suggest is closing all the doors in your house or maybe leaving her in one bedroom, to minimize the damage, or simply putting everything valuable/dangerous out of reach. In my opinion crating her is actually the better option for your dog, as it prevents her from getting into something dangerous or poisonous and harming herself while you are away. Good luck!
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-09-2014, 09:25 PM
Kaydaraider raises a very good point. If they're used properly, crates should only ever be a place of quiet and safety. Anyone who uses one as a form of punishment is doing it wrong. Our crate lives in the attic now, but we still get it down for bonfire night, as out little dog is terrified of fireworks, and it makes a snug, secure cave for her that she remembers from bedtimes past. Door is open-- she just likes it in there.

If you're dead set against crates, you might consider a gate, to restrict her to a certain room but give her more space.
Lindsay&River
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-09-2014, 08:26 PM
I would recommend the crate too, especially since you are only gone for about 3 hours at a time. No big deal.

However, I understand you don't want to go that route. Have you tried using a baby gate to keep her in maybe a bathroom or small bedroom?

OK, so I realize you might want to leave her loose in the house like you are doing.

I would keep trying with the Kong/puzzle toys. Maybe get a few new toys so you can rotate which ones you leave so they are more interesting to her. Find something she LOVES that you can stuff them with like hot dogs, real hamburger, chicken, etc. Maybe make some of the toys really easy to get the treats out and the others more challenging. Maybe she gets frustrated/bored with them and gives up.

Are you doing a lot of obedience work with her? And just general activities to get her thinking and working? That can make a huge difference, in addition to the exercise you're already doing.

Hope that gives you some ideas to brainstorm off of!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >