Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jlas000
New Member!
Male 

17-09-2014, 01:53 PM

American Eskimo Anxious Barker

I have an 8.5 month old rescue American Eskimo. Unfortunately we are his third home and are trying to make it a good one. My wife suspects he was abused as a young puppy due to some of his mannerisms. The biggest issue we have with him is his barking and anxiety. I know American Eskimos can be barkers by nature but I feel this is over the top. When we are in the house, if he sees something outside he will bark at it and won't stop unless you show him a treat or put him in a sit position. I'd like to work on that, but that is not where is problem is. The problem is when we take him outside or go for walks. When we go for walks if he sees another person walking, riding a bike or walking another dog he loses it. He starts barking and freaking out like no other. I have tried treats but he has no interest in them. I've tried just ignoring the other person and keeping on walking but he just keeps on barking. He also has a tendency to pull quite a bit while walking as well. He does start basic training this week, so that might help, but any suggestions you all have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.