register for free

Dog News

Motorists warned not to leave dogs in their cars

Motorists have been warned not to leave their dogs in stifling hot cars this summer.

According to a new survey, almost half of people in Scotland – 47 per cent – mistakenly believe it is acceptable to leave a dog in a car if they leave a window open or park in the shade
But fewer than 20 minutes in a hot car can prove fatal to a dog, should its body temperature exceed 41 degrees celsius.

UK welfare charity Dogs Trust, which has a centre in West Calder, has launched a hard-hitting campaign – which features a video – to warn dog owners of the dangers of leaving their pets in parked cars, even for a few minutes.
Article and hard-hitting video here...

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.co...cars-1-3419592

With all the media reports about dogs dying in cars during hot weather, it seems almost inconceivable that it still happens.

Your comments and views:
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2014, 11:41 AM
Sorry we have parked in the shade for 30 years windows open and make sure they are not left for more than 20 minutes and they have all been fine. Do people live in the real world who give this advice ? what do they suggest we do with them when we are on holiday and need to buy food or have an emergency ?
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

23-05-2014, 12:01 PM
Yesterday we were in a garden centre cafe having lunch someone had left their dog in their mini no windows open and they called over the tannoy 4 times. In the end someone from the shop popped in the cafe and all of a sudden an elderly lady with prompting from her friends realised it was her car.
She was kind of shamed in front of us all as the lady from the shop said it is very hot in your car. Please go and open a window at least for your dog.
She was sat there chatting and eating lunch. My brother is not an animal person but he was cross too and said to me why not get a crate leave the boot open and padlock the crate to the boot or something.
That is the sort of thing that people need to stop doing sitting enjoying life in an air conditioned space while their dogs cook to death in a car.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-05-2014, 12:11 PM
Perhaps the warning had something to do with this article

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-...-fife-27490615

Two women are to face trial after allegedly leaving four dogs locked inside a car so hot that one of them died.

Natalie McArthur, 43, and Caitlin McArthur, 18, are accused of leaving the animals in the locked boot of a car for an hour at the Burghmuir Retail Park in Stirling last July.

Both women pleaded not guilty to charges of causing unnecessary suffering to the dogs.

A trial is set to begin on 19 August.

Natalie McArthur is also accused of leaving three dogs locked in a car the next day, outside the Bruceview Veterinary Centre, Stirling.

A court heard that the women allegedly left a female Yorkshire terrier, called Crystal, and the other dogs, in the car at a temperatures of 25C on 18 July last year. Crystal's body temperature was believed to have risen to 42.7C, causing her to contract hyperthermia.

The pair are also accused of failing to seek veterinary treatment for the dog for about an hour and failing to authorise a veterinary surgeon to carry out necessary treatment.
which also happened in Scotland, where the warning has been issued?
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2014, 12:31 PM
I noticed a dog which had been left in a car in full sun with only a window cracked open a few weeks ago in our huge local Tesco. I went back in to the store to Customer Services and asked them to make an announcement for the car owner to return to his car. Shockingly they said they are no longer allowed to make an announcement for the safety of a dog, only a child. As I came out having let them know how horrified I was at this new ruling the owner returned to his car. To be honest he wasn't the sort of person I felt happy talking to but another man mentioned it it him. There was a lot of verbal abuse from the dog owner. God help the poor dog this coming summer.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

23-05-2014, 01:30 PM
The only time my dogs go out in the car routinely is for dog walks and the air con is always on and I'm in the car with them. Other than that we have a timeshare in Scotland and the dogs come too and as there are two of us the dogs have never been left unattended in the car while we shop etc. If eating out we always choose somewhere we can keep an eye on the car and we have the tailgate open with the tailgate guard locked tbh I can't see why I would ever need to leave the dogs in the car at any other time.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2014, 01:45 PM
Well we obviously lead different lives sometimes they have to come to work with me and I can't take them in, holidays as I said food shopping often it's not something I can do alone and my husband doesn't like doing it alone so again they are in the car. We tend to shop early morning or late night when it's cooler if we can. But there are times it is unavoidable.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

23-05-2014, 02:05 PM
I have to admit I can't understand what you're saying Julie my dogs welfare would always take precedence over my likes and dislikes. Of course we all lead different lives and if not on holiday my dogs would never be in the car while I was shopping I'd take them home first and then go shopping. If travelling and we stop at motorway services for a toilet break and a snack, we're not joined at the hip and we'd take it in turns for a wee and bring the snack etc back to the car. I can see no reason why I would ever have the dogs in the car while going to a garden centre, I'd simply leave them at home where they're safe and sound.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2014, 02:09 PM
My dogs welfare is always in my mind but I won't send my husband into situations he isn't comfortable with either. If he hadn't had a stroke and his aspergers wasn't as it is I would happily send him in but our lives are not perfect and he comes top of the list with the dogs and the children. None of them are second best or thought less of.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

23-05-2014, 03:05 PM
I don't believe I made any mention of second best at all and as someone who's had two strokes I definitely didn't mention those either. The way I see it is I don't take them with me to attend my many hospital appointments so why take them with me anywhere unless it's for their benefit.
It's an opinion Julie not a personal attack.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top