Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Daisymae90
New Member!
Female 

12-06-2012, 02:00 AM

My dog is scared to go outside and won't poop

My dog refuses to go outside even if I put her food outside. She would just rather not eat. This wouldn't be a problem except she poops in the house all the time. I've tried taking her on walks but she gets so nervous it seems like she's too scared to poop. My other dog recently died last year and we buried her in the backyard. Could this be the reason that my dog is scared? Or is she just grieving? Please help me!
theo&milly
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-06-2012, 05:21 AM
Our pup was terrified of the outside when we got him home. He came from the quiet country where he was raised to a big city. I don't know if this is right but I used to sit with him outside for as long as it took for him to go. I used to reward and praise him emphatically when he did it. I also played with him outside and did lots of fun stuff with toys and treats to get him to realize that it wasn't so bad. For walks we used to do a little at a time - halfway down the street then built up to the end of the street then to the next street all the time praising and rewarding good behaviour like stepping forward. It was hard work and frustrating at times but he walks like a dream now. I took him out a lot around busy traffic streets and he's used to the sound of cars now. He is also perfectly happy to poop outside. That's just the way I did it. This is my first dog though so it would be good if some of the more experienced owners offered advice.

Ps. I never left him outside alone & his first walks were short sessions no more than 15 mins but I did several of them a day. I tried to make each excursion fun to take his mind off his anxiety but avoided long sessions that would have stressed him out.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2012, 07:40 AM
I think you need to work with a qualified behaviourist (one who uses positive methods - avoid anyone who talks about Pack Order or Status).
Your dog will need patience and careful management - there is no quick fix.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2012, 08:32 AM
I agree with Claire. It sounds like a serious case of agoraphobia and you need professional help with this one!
theo&milly
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-06-2012, 04:54 AM
Does it really sound like 'a serious' case requiring a behaviourist? Would the OP not be better off trying some things by herself first before getting in an expert? I would be cautious about labelling things as requiring professional help without seeing how the dog is behaving first hand. It can lead people to think that things might be worse than they are and can be off-putting.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 05:50 AM
Originally Posted by theo&milly View Post
Does it really sound like 'a serious' case requiring a behaviourist? Would the OP not be better off trying some things by herself first before getting in an expert? I would be cautious about labelling things as requiring professional help without seeing how the dog is behaving first hand. It can lead people to think that things might be worse than they are and can be off-putting.
I can see what you are saying but a dog who will go without food and won't even leave the house to pee? If the op were to get it wrong she could exacerbate the issue and create a bigger problem than she has now.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 07:39 AM
Does it really sound like 'a serious' case requiring a behaviourist?
Yes it does.
She`s tried stuff. It hasn`t worked. Sometimes you need to use knowledge to solve problems.
theo&milly
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-06-2012, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Yes it does.
She`s tried stuff. It hasn`t worked. Sometimes you need to use knowledge to solve problems.
She tried 2 things: food and taking the dog for a walk. That's the sum of it.

The rest of your post is insulting and condescending. I have 4 degrees, am a medic and I'm on sabbatical to study for my PhD. I have more than enough experience of using knowledge to solve problems.

Take a look at Loki's Mum's post for ideas on how to approach this in a mature fashion.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 09:26 AM
She tried 2 things: food and taking the dog for a walk. That's the sum of it.

The rest of your post is insulting and condescending. I have 4 degrees, am a medic and I'm on sabbatical to study for my PhD. I have more than enough experience of using knowledge to solve problems.

Take a look at Loki's Mum's post for ideas on how to approach this in a mature fashion.
You`ve also got a very short fuse.
I repeat what I said - look at it without your affronted face on -
sometimes you need to use knowledge to solve problems. That means you ask advice and employ people who know more than you.
Unless you are a behaviourist with a personal knowledge of this OP and this dog, I don`t see that you have the sole solution to her question.
I suggest you wind your neck in.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by Daisymae90 View Post
My dog refuses to go outside even if I put her food outside. She would just rather not eat. This wouldn't be a problem except she poops in the house all the time. I've tried taking her on walks but she gets so nervous it seems like she's too scared to poop. My other dog recently died last year and we buried her in the backyard. Could this be the reason that my dog is scared? Or is she just grieving? Please help me!
Whether you just want ideas, or are getting in a behaviourist a few things you need consider.

How old is your dog?

Has she always had this problem or did it start in later life?

What other things have you tried?

Do you have a garden or yard that is enclosed so that your dog has an area where freedom of movement without a lead is available?

Do you walk your dog daily?

Does your dog have any medical condition?

What do you do when accidents happen inside?

You only mention pooing outside, does she pee outside?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >