View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 07:32 AM
My supplier can be a little hard to get hold of at times but he never just shows up - on the odd occasion I may get a text at the start of the week to say "Down this Thursday, need anything?" but I always have a few days notice. There's been the odd month where I've not heard from him and had a little panic but to be honest with the prices he charges I can accept that - his prices are low as his overheads are low because he's pretty much a one-man band. I'm probably half the cause of it because I keep recommending him to people and I'm spreading him out over more customers
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 09:06 AM
Thanks for your help everyone.

Just in case anyone else has this problem and reads this thread I will post links to all the sources I found in my next post.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 11:20 AM
Warning - this is a long post!

Here are the different suppliers I have found through your recommendations and a bit of 'googling' in case it is helpful to others to see it in one place, plus a little about how I found the initial service as I contacted them.

This site sells wild and farmed rabbit, both for people and pets. You can order it minced, whole, halved, quartered, wild rabbit minced with extra rabbit meat added so probably good for a dog that needs extra calories on a low fat diet. The also sell turkey, beef trimmings and ox heart and the rabbit offal 'whole'. Sent by FedEx
This company were quick to reply to my initial email query.
http://www.woldsway.co.uk/

This company seem to sell a variety but do not deliver to Scotland at all (not even by courier). They seem to be the only ones to sell Lamb Tripe on thier site however Durham Animal Feeds can get this too. http://www.landywoods.co.uk/natural_choice.html

These folks wont do email/online orders initially. They like you to phone them up and find out more about the dogs needs first and then create a meat, bone and veg mix for that particular dog, hence a 'from 99p per day including treats' guideline as a price guide on the site. If you feed supplements then you still need to add these yourself (i.e. if you feed fish oil you will still do so as it wont be added to the food) Your order will include biscuits for your dogs treats as well as the raw food order, however biscuits are not tailored. You will recieve a weeks worth of food and treats free in your first order if ordering a months worth of food.
In the initial phone call your name and email are required and they will ask your dogs name, age, breed, weight and current diet.
They were quick to get back with a quotation after the initial phone call, however I then realised that their recipes consisted of Chicken, Beef, Turkey or (when they can get it, rabbit) so not too much variety there (beef is out for us so that would leave only two poultry items most of the time) if using them as a sole source, however all meat is free range from local farmers apart from the rabbit which is wild.

Having told them over the phone that I did not find too much veg suitable but he could have a little in the mix and was on the lean side; I was sent a recomendation of 'out of season working dog food' which would cost a wopping £91! with no detail of exactly what is in there (for a month, with less meat that he eats now, however their meat is organic and goes from farm to you within days)
Delivered overnight in an insulated, recyclable box, which keeps the food fresh for 48 hours after leaving thier kitchens, you then freeze.
http://www.darlingsrealdogfood.com/

This site is a bit on the pricey side too (though not quite as much as Darlings for myself) but unless you choose to buy from the Pure Range, they have already added to the mix and can be teated as 'complete' food and just order different meat for variety...
For example the Natural Instinct Lamb tray contains;

•Welsh lamb, heart, liver and bone (80%)
•Butternut squash
•Apples
•Carrots
•Spinach
•Sea kelp
•Scottish salmon oil

The Pure Lamb would just be;
minced lamb meat and bone

The Natural Instinct Working range has vitamin C added on top of the standard NI ingredients.
They also sell half a lambs head and turkey backs etc

Thier Country Banquet range varies again;
•British turkey and bone (80%)
•Butternut squash
•Apples
•Carrots
•Spinach
•Sea kelp
•Scottish salmon oil
•Barley oat grass
•Wheatgrass
•Bilberries
•Spiralina
You have the choice of ordering many of their minces in either 450 or 1000g trays which is helpful for some owners of large dogs or multi-dog households.
Your order is prepared, frozen and packaged in polystyrene boxes to help stay frozen and sent by overnight courier.
http://www.naturalinstinct.com/

Durham Animal Feeds sent reply email letting me know that one item was out of stock and another out of season, they had taken note of my questions though as they said they could get me lamb tripe and then asked if I would like to get the LT minced or whole Able to arrange delivery in advance etc I have used the products before through an independent business and know the quality so far has been good. They sell bones as well as minces, goats milk and the only supplier that seems to sell pigs pancreas too. Also sell complete, mixers, natural treats, biscuits, disinfectant... So a good variety of raw plus more, however unlike Landywoods, Natural Instinct and Darlings they do not add veg to the minces (which suits me but may not suit everyone)
Delivery in Scotland is once a month (I think) and is frozen already, brought up in DAF's own freezer van and delivered to the door. I am not sure if they deliver through couriers or not for customers in England but they do have this page showing where they deliver and when plus a list of pet food businesses that stock their meat.
http://www.daf-petfood.co.uk/wb/pages/distribution.php

TPMS seem to have a good range on an initial flick through their booklet (online) but I did not register so cant say too much about delivery and costs etc. Perhaps aimed at the trade market, I'm not sure if they would do courier deliveries ouside of their own delivery areas or not.
http://www.tpms.co.uk/

Berriewoods have a good basic range of minces and will do overnight delivery for around £5 (to Scotland) I did not see any raw meaty bones (or even just raw bones) under thier frozen food section.
The frozen meat brands they stock are Berriewoods, Barfers, DUCK, Forthglade and Natures Menu (which appears to be Anglian Meat Products minces with veg added in most products)
http://www.berriewoodwholesale.co.uk/

Here is the Prize Choice website.
http://prizechoice.co.uk/
They sell minces with the ground bone as do the others mentioned. They have a bit of variety though, stocking Rabbit Dinner (which is mostly chicken with some rabbit in) Chicken, (beef) Tripe, (white) Fish, Turkey, Beef and Lamb Dinner (also mainly made with chicken)
They also hold the Standard Range which is basically that. A standard range of chicken, chicken & tripe, beef, tripe or beef & tripe minces bought in bulk with not quite so appealing packaging making these blocks of mince cheaper than the others.
All minces are very fine and personally I found the minces very watery in comparison to DAF, Landywoods, supermarket or the local butchers minces. They also have minces in Freeflow form which costs a bit more but can be handy. They also sell whole meat chunks such as Chicken Wings, Poultry necks, Liver chunks etc. Prize choice and Natures Menu appear to be AMP (Anglian Meat Products) so they also have the Natures Menu range.

Natures Menu has a variety of raw minced meat blocks that include veg as well as bone and meat also in the form of nuggets, they sell cooked foods too such as training treats, pouches and cans. http://naturesmenu.co.uk/

AMP (NM & PC) require a minimum order of £60. plus £4.25 delivery and it will be delivered in one of their own refridgerated vans by their own drivers. (exludes delivery to Highlands and Islands)

I have probably forgotten someone on here!!

Please dont forget your local suppliers either though as they may well stock/deliver raw/have other ranges etc. (dont forget to check the supermarket 'marked down' meat either! and freebie bones from the butchers!)
If you made it to the end, well done!! Just thought this may help someone else if they need to find a new supplier quickly (as I kind of have).

Thanks for your posts,

Dobermann
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 12:33 AM
I still recommend raw dog feeders I know the choice doesnt suit you and Louie, but thought they would be good to mention for anyone else who is interested! The service is great, prices are great and food is great jake loves it.
CECILIO
New Member!
Male 

05-04-2011, 10:10 AM
Dear Tabitha Thanks for sharing nice information here I have not checked the link . I hope that this will be the best suppliers for Dog feeding .
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
I still recommend raw dog feeders I know the choice doesnt suit you and Louie, but thought they would be good to mention for anyone else who is interested! The service is great, prices are great and food is great jake loves it.
I knew I'd forgotten one!!
I actually think there is another one or two missing there as well!

here is the link for raw dog feeders for anyone else thats interested http://www.rawdogfeeders.co.uk/index.html

They stock beef and chicken but this may vary with the seasons. They are based in and deliver to most of Scotland. Delivery is £0. - £12 depending on area/distance from them.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 12:59 PM
note; Darlings Real Dog Food's basic recipe is 30% veg so anyone recomended this may want to bear it in mind, personally I feel 30% veg, 30% bones and 30% meat isnt good. I feel that the amount of bone there is probably what may keep 30% veg going right through a dog but thats my personal opinion. They also failed to ask about activity levels yet recomended the amount to feed initially which I found a bit strange.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2011, 01:55 PM
When I started feeding raw I relied on my local butcher who gave me a load of freebies too. The trouble was I felt obliged to buy my human meat from him which was quite pricey. Then one of his lads over charged me on a big order and gave me a load of nonsense about the 20kg box of tribe usually coming in smaller boxes, hence the increase to £65. So I started going to Smithfield wholesale meat market in London where my butcher buys his meat, and I have never looked back. I go there once every 6 weeks and fill the dog's freezer for £120 and our freezer for about £100. My GSP costs about £12 per week to feed and my Springer about £8 per week.

It costs me a lot less than I was paying the butcher, including his freebies. For the dogs, I buy things like boxes of Grade B whole chickens and mixed chicken portions (11kg for £15), washed (but not bleached) tripe (20 kg for £30), beef hearts (99p per kg), breast of lamb (15kg for £35), ox liver (£1 per kg).

It is a bit of a pain having to get there for 3am, but I know I am not going to be let down by a delivery not turning up or the meat not being very fresh when it arrives.
Lama
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-04-2011, 02:22 PM
I had nothing but trouble with Landiwoods. Not turning up at all or not when supposed to and dumping frozen food on drive, which would then start to defrost. One time the box had obviously split and the guy had not bothered to pick it up....bags of tripe all over the drive

Their chciken wings came complete with yellow plastic tags, presumabley from when the bird was still alive. A right pain to have to remove.

They were also slimy and disgusting. Then one of my dogs was very ill after eating their food and that was it...no more landywoods, would not recommend them at all.
Lama
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-04-2011, 02:28 PM
Has anyone tried ?http://www.thedogfoodcompany.co.uk/
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »