Or Register for FREE!

Anistel

Dogsey Veteran

28-03-2011, 02:43 PM   #1

Hearts

Reply With Quote Nominate this person for a Member of The Month award

Welcome to the Dogsey Forums!
Welcome to the LARGEST DOG FORUM in the world!!*

Welcome, you are seeing this message because you are viewing our dog owners forum as a guest. You are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Dog Lovers, on the biggest and best dog forum in the world!*

Doing so will unlock lots of features enabling you to participate on the site... and will also get rid of this message box and the advert on the left.

Click here to register for FREE!

*Dogsey hosts the largest English language dog-related forum in the world! By total number of posts.

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: large ones
28-03-2011, 02:53 PM   #2

Re: Hearts

I feed hearts whole and chopped.

A caveat, whole hearts can often be swallowed whole which means the dog is more at risk of GDV in a susceptible breed and/or upchucking.

Dogsey Veteran

28-03-2011, 03:07 PM   #3

I will chop it for her then thankyou.
Does the rest of her diet sound ok?

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: Labradors
28-03-2011, 03:11 PM   #4

I feed heart too about once or twice every ten days. Mine won't eat it completely raw so I tend to chop a lamb's heart into about 3 bits, blanch it in boiling water, then drain. Then I cut it with scissors into bite sized chunks & freeze in portion sizes along with offal that I treat in the same way. This means that it is just cooked on the outside but raw in the middle. Be careful when you chop them up as they can squirt blood all over you!!!

I chop mine up because gutsy Barney would probably swallow it whole, chuck it up, try again, chuck it up then chew it a bit. Wilma would be "I can't possibly eat something as large as that, please kindly use your scissors on it!".

I'm not sure if one lamb's heart would constitute a meal ~ depends on the dog. I would probably class it as a smallish meal for one of my labs, the sort of size they get for breakfast, like half a tray of Nature Diet.

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: large ones
28-03-2011, 03:13 PM   #5

3 hearts (lamb) roughly constitute a whole meal for my dogs. That would be about 500g roughly

Dogsey Senior

Dogs owned: German Spitz/Vallhunds
28-03-2011, 07:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeybear
3 hearts (lamb) roughly constitute a whole meal for my dogs. That would be about 500g roughly
At the other end of the scale a single lambs heart would split between all 4 of mine for a meal.

Not sure where the OP bought her hearts - but watch the lambs hearts from Tesco - these have been frozen already and can't be re-frozen.

Dogsey Veteran

28-03-2011, 07:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateM
At the other end of the scale a single lambs heart would split between all 4 of mine for a meal.

Not sure where the OP bought her hearts - but watch the lambs hearts from Tesco - these have been frozen already and can't be re-frozen.
I did buy them from tesco and i have cooked them and frozen 2 of them as i didn't realise. I suppose I had better chuck them out then. I wish they would state on the packaging.

Dogsey Senior

Dogs owned: German Spitz/Vallhunds
28-03-2011, 07:28 PM   #8

It does say on the packaging - but in teeny tiny print - my raw feeding mentor had to point it out to me as I did exactly the same as you having thought i'd got a bargin in the reduced section.

If you've a Morrisons locally their fresh meat is all proper fresh though they tend to have ox heart rather than lamb - they do have beef/lamb/pork liver and kidneys though... oh and lamb bones if your lucky

Dogsey Veteran

28-03-2011, 07:54 PM   #9

Unfortunatly I don't have a Morrisons close enough to make it worthwhile. I think the nearest is about 20 mile away.
I've just rescued a few bits from the freezer that were not quite frozen yet and put them in a tub in the fridge for tomorrow. the bits that were frozen are now outside in the dustbin.
Thankyou for telling me or I would have fed them .

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: BC's & GWPxSlovak
28-03-2011, 08:56 PM   #10

I've frozen many hearts from Tesco over time and my dogs are still alive! I'm sure I recall reading somewhere that refreezing meat doesnt matter so much with dogs (although I dont actually know why it's a no-no in humans!)