Or Register for FREE!

Anistel

Dogsey Junior

13-03-2011, 09:35 PM   #1

Helping my two year old collie settle into new home? (growling)

Reply With Quote Nominate this person for a Member of The Month award

Welcome to the Dogsey Forums!
Welcome to the LARGEST DOG FORUM in the world!!*

Welcome, you are seeing this message because you are viewing our dog owners forum as a guest. You are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Dog Lovers, on the biggest and best dog forum in the world!*

Doing so will unlock lots of features enabling you to participate on the site... and will also get rid of this message box and the advert on the left.

Click here to register for FREE!

*Dogsey hosts the largest English language dog-related forum in the world! By total number of posts.

Dogsey Junior

13-03-2011, 09:47 PM   #2

Re: Helping my two year old collie settle into new home? (growling)

Sorry for any spelling/grammar mistakes, this keyboard sticks

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: Dexter - yellow Lab, rescue
13-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #3

I'm not really surprised that this dog is growling a bit. He must be really confused. It's still very early days in his new home.

When I brought home Dexter from a local rescue, he growled and went to bite countless times during the first month or so. We simply had to learn to give him plenty of space and as you rightly say, to stop any affection if he growled or bared his teeth at us.

I would think it's far too early to tell if the growling with your dog is going to be an ongoing problem - he needs a while to settle in and to realise that he has a new home.

Just to add: if the growling continues and is only when they touch him, they should get him checked over by their vet just in case there is a physical reason.

But for now I think they would be well advised to give him a bit of space and to stop affection if he reacts badly.

Dogsey Junior

13-03-2011, 10:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabithaJ
I'm not really surprised that this dog is growling a bit. He must be really confused. It's still very early days in his new home.

When I brought home Dexter from a local rescue, he growled and went to bite countless times during the first month or so. We simply had to learn to give him plenty of space and as you rightly say, to stop any affection if he growled or bared his teeth at us.

I would think it's far too early to tell if the growling with your dog is going to be an ongoing problem - he needs a while to settle in and to realise that he has a new home.

Just to add: if the growling continues and is only when they touch him, they should get him checked over by their vet just in case there is a physical reason.

But for now I think they would be well advised to give him a bit of space and to stop affection if he reacts badly.

Thank you for reassurring me I have given the correct advice! I am very impressed to be honest that he has done so well in the first day of being there. As a typical collie he was extremely bonded to us so I can only imagine how confused he is. And I am very heartbroken at the moment myself so I am probably worrying over every little thing that isn't really a problem/.

He was perfectly healthy when he left us (we had him checked). I am not sure why exactly he growls when being petted but knowing him it is probably because he wants the affection but still regards them as strangers. Not to mention he is in a completely new home so that must be daunting!

They agreed to stop all attention when he growls, I have always used the 'ignore' technique when he did an unwanted behaviour such as jumping up and it would work within seconds lol.

I think it is encouraging he is listening to them for commands and guidance, as he never does that with visitors. So because I am not there he is probably looking for a person to fill that gap. He has been left with my brother and his girlfriend once whilst we went on holiday. After a few days he was all over them as he is with us, so i suppose that is encouraging.

Dogsey Junior

15-03-2011, 08:57 PM   #5

The wife rang me today and said he has become her bestfriend and she is now able to do anything with him and he is also close to getting that way with her husband, so very pleased in that area!

She did ask what she should do about her teenage boys, they are 16 & 18, Quinn plays fetch with them fine, but he will not approach them at all unless it is to very quickly take a treat. Then the past few times that they have either stopped playing or walked past his bed, Quinn has followed them , growled & nipped at their heels!

He hasn't showed this kind of behaviour since he was a puppy. I have suggested some of the things below but just want to make sure I am again giving the right advice for the situation? And of course any added help from you guys is welcome!
  • For walking past his bed I have suggested dropping treats as they go by, to encourage a positive association and provide a distraction from to his 'tense' state.
  • After fetch, if he starts to follow they should turn round and tell him to 'go away' (he understands the command)
  • During the talk we realised the boys only play fetch with him, they do not ask him to do any commands or tricks so i have said for them to do this as often as they can, during play and also just with a treat.
  • I have also suggested the boys have a go at feeding him his meal from their hands, he takes treats from them fine so it's the same technique to how I taught him not to be possessive over food, is this likely to help?
  • And generally, throughout the day, make sure they are around as much as possible, not locked away in their rooms. And that they praise and give treats if Quinn seems particularly relaxed.

Please help lol