Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 01:08 PM

Occipital crest (pluto bone)

Jake has a very marked occipital crest whereas Ailsa has none at all seemingly. Is there any significance in a large one? An old spanish chap just told me that Jake is very intelligent - yea right - not sure about that one - after he felt it. I didn't know what the bone was called to be honest so have just googled it .... hope I've got it right otherwise will look like a t.....!
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 09:30 AM
How old is Jake vs Ailsa? Has it always been pronounced, or has it become so gradually. As dogs age, the muscles on the top of the head can atrophy gradually causing the occipital bone to become more pronounced.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 09:34 AM
In some breeds it is pronounced, if he has always been like it it is just his peculiarity.

I don't think intelligence is linked to it though.........
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by muttzrule View Post
How old is Jake vs Ailsa? Has it always been pronounced, or has it become so gradually. As dogs age, the muscles on the top of the head can atrophy gradually causing the occipital bone to become more pronounced.
Jake is 4 this year and Ailsa will be 6. It has gradually become more pronounced on Jake and to be honest before I knew what it was I was a bit concerned. A friend of mine had a bitch and she had a very pronounced lump but after a year or so it disappeared!

Smokey:- No I don't think it has anything to do with intelligence either! lol I just smiled at him and said 'really? 'and looked pleased with Jake, that shut him up.............. you can't argue with old opinions especially when they're in spanish........