Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
gabw7
New Member!
Female 

30-12-2010, 09:47 PM

Elderly dog suddenly stopped eating

My 15 year old, 50lb., Germen Sheppard Mix suddenly stopped eating. She is an outdoor dog, but gets brought indoors to her crate at night to eat, going back outside come morning. She also normally has a very healthy appetite. On 12-27-10, I fed her as normal; 2 cups hot water, 1 ½ cups Purina One Vibrant Maturity, ¼ cup Ol’ Roy Meaty Loaf wet dog food, 1 Glucosamine Chondroitin pill (500 mg/400 mg dose), all mixed then served. It’s the same thing she’s been eating for over a year. Soon afterwards, she started acting up, wanting to go outside. She knows once outside, she stays outside until the next night, but sometimes she just has to bark at the opossums in the trees. In the morning I saw she threw up right next to the steps. I thought, ‘no big deal’, and hosed it down. Next night, I prepared her food and opened the door to bring her in. She came in, but would not step foot in her crate and just looked at me. I took her food bowl out and put it right under her nose, but she turned around and went outside. I followed her with the food, but she just stood there staring. Putting the food inside, I came back out and sat down. She then put her head on my lap, something she never does. After a while of gentle petting, a gave her half a milk bone, something she almost lives for. She slowly ate it than walked away. I set out a few more then retired for the night. In the morning they were still there. I searched for stool, but found nothing. That night I gave her a full can of Ol’ Roy Meaty Loaf, something in the past she has eaten so fast she chokes. An hour later, it too was still there. I brought her inside to the living room, something I never do because she tries to eat anything and everything. But that night she just laid beside me as I gently petted her. I stayed up with her all night. She mostly laid beside me, for the most part awake, getting up only to drink water. That was last night and now this morning, she continues to stand there, staring at me from outside, her milk bones where I left them. Tonight, 12-30-10, will be the fourth night without eating. She continues to bark, though weakly, at the neighborhood cats and walks quickly for a few seconds before laying back down. I am currently on unemployment, have horrible credit and just found out my rent will be raised come January. I cannot afford to take my dog to a vet. We’ve lived here for over 7 years and I’ve had Rogue since she was 4 ½ months old. She hasn’t left the backyard in 2 years, she gets too tired for walks but can still run short distances, there’s nothing poisonous growing, plenty of shade and sun, there’s a waterproof doghouse and fresh water daily. Rogue is also almost completely deaf and blind, but that’s never slowed her down before. Her nose also works absolutely perfectly. She has all her teeth and nothing stuck in them. I also checked by pressing each one and got no reaction. She’s also a bit gassy, but I’m not sure if it’s more than normal. I’m at my wits end and am crying to think she might be in pain, but can’t tell me. She let’s me rub her all over, even the parts she normally doesn’t liked touched, such as her paws and tail. There are no lumps, rawness or bleeding. She only gently whimpers when I try to give her food. I’m sorry this post is so long, but the more information the better, right? If anyone can help me, we will both be eternally grateful. Thank you.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2010, 10:08 PM
The very fact that you have written such a long and informative post tells me that you are a genuine, caring owner. Like many others, you find yourself short of money and Vets are so expensive aren't they. Do you have anything like the PDSA in your part of the world? A charitable organisation that will treat needy pets free? It certainly sounds as if your old lady needs to be checked over to be honest.

At 15 she is an exceptionally good age for her breed, and it might be that time is finally taking it's toll. I do hope not, but only a visit to the Vet will give you a proper picture of what is going on.

I am so sorry for what you are going through.
whippetwatch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-12-2010, 10:10 PM
If you are a responsible dog owner you will take your animal to the vet. You cannot let it suffer pain - that is unforgivable. At that age something serious is probably wrong.

If you love your dog then do the right thing by it.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by gabw7 View Post
My 15 year old, 50lb., Germen Sheppard Mix suddenly stopped eating. She is an outdoor dog, but gets brought indoors to her crate at night to eat, going back outside come morning. She also normally has a very healthy appetite. On 12-27-10, I fed her as normal; 2 cups hot water, 1 ½ cups Purina One Vibrant Maturity, ¼ cup Ol’ Roy Meaty Loaf wet dog food, 1 Glucosamine Chondroitin pill (500 mg/400 mg dose), all mixed then served. It’s the same thing she’s been eating for over a year. Soon afterwards, she started acting up, wanting to go outside. She knows once outside, she stays outside until the next night, but sometimes she just has to bark at the opossums in the trees. In the morning I saw she threw up right next to the steps. I thought, ‘no big deal’, and hosed it down. Next night, I prepared her food and opened the door to bring her in. She came in, but would not step foot in her crate and just looked at me. I took her food bowl out and put it right under her nose, but she turned around and went outside. I followed her with the food, but she just stood there staring. Putting the food inside, I came back out and sat down. She then put her head on my lap, something she never does. After a while of gentle petting, a gave her half a milk bone, something she almost lives for. She slowly ate it than walked away. I set out a few more then retired for the night. In the morning they were still there. I searched for stool, but found nothing. That night I gave her a full can of Ol’ Roy Meaty Loaf, something in the past she has eaten so fast she chokes. An hour later, it too was still there. I brought her inside to the living room, something I never do because she tries to eat anything and everything. But that night she just laid beside me as I gently petted her. I stayed up with her all night. She mostly laid beside me, for the most part awake, getting up only to drink water. That was last night and now this morning, she continues to stand there, staring at me from outside, her milk bones where I left them. Tonight, 12-30-10, will be the fourth night without eating. She continues to bark, though weakly, at the neighborhood cats and walks quickly for a few seconds before laying back down. I am currently on unemployment, have horrible credit and just found out my rent will be raised come January. I cannot afford to take my dog to a vet. We’ve lived here for over 7 years and I’ve had Rogue since she was 4 ½ months old. She hasn’t left the backyard in 2 years, she gets too tired for walks but can still run short distances, there’s nothing poisonous growing, plenty of shade and sun, there’s a waterproof doghouse and fresh water daily. Rogue is also almost completely deaf and blind, but that’s never slowed her down before. Her nose also works absolutely perfectly. She has all her teeth and nothing stuck in them. I also checked by pressing each one and got no reaction. She’s also a bit gassy, but I’m not sure if it’s more than normal. I’m at my wits end and am crying to think she might be in pain, but can’t tell me. She let’s me rub her all over, even the parts she normally doesn’t liked touched, such as her paws and tail. There are no lumps, rawness or bleeding. She only gently whimpers when I try to give her food. I’m sorry this post is so long, but the more information the better, right? If anyone can help me, we will both be eternally grateful. Thank you.
I`m sorry, but at 15 and not eaten for 4 days, (has she drank any fluids) then you must get her to the vet, some how some way.

I would also bring her indoors for the time being.

At her age she could be seriously ill, even worse, after such a long time together I am sure you would hate to think she passed over without you doing all you could fro her.

I dont know how it works in your country, but dont you have any charities that provide veterinary care for people in your situation.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Im sorry that I can offer no advice but get her to a vet. For an old dog to go for days without food, this is a serious issue. If you wait much longer, you may lose her. Im sorry if that sounds harsh and I dont mean to sound horrible but she is suffering. As an owner, we have to do the best for our animals and this can cost. As has been mentioned before, it would be worth finding out if there is any low cost vets in your area or find one that would allow you to pay in instalments. I hope you can find some help real soon.
gabw7
New Member!
Female 

30-12-2010, 11:16 PM
Thank you to everyone for responding. She is drinking water and is sleeping inside right now. As for the free clinics, they do exist around here, but only offer services about once a month and are located about 20 miles away at the closest. That’s a little far for someone without a car. Low cost clinics are shut down, either for the holiday season or permanently due to cutbacks. As for payment plans, I keep getting referred to a medical credit service, which when I applied online, I was denied. I did get a ride offer, but it won’t be until tomorrow. I’ve decided I can be late for 1 months rent, as I never have been before. I‘m just praying any bills will be equal to or less. If anyone has any advice to make my dog more comfortable in the mean time, please tell me. I am extremely worried.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2010, 05:58 AM
I can only reiterate what others have said..... a vet visit is required.

Hope you manage to get there......
gabw7
New Member!
Female 

01-01-2011, 01:28 AM
It’s Friday now and tonight will be five days without Rogue eating. We just came back from the veterinarian’s. She got a complete physical and the doctor is stumped. Her temperature is normal, heart rate good, her fur nice and thick, no rashes or bumps, and her teeth are not abscessing. Five x-rays were taken and nothing was bad was found. The doctor did tell me she had absolutely no food in her system, so blockage isn’t the problem. He also ruled out bloating do to her digestive track showing no abnormalities. Her heart is normal and her lungs are in excellent shape. For Rogue being 15 years old, the doctor was amazed she was still alive for her a Germen Shepherd who was also in such excellent health. The only thing found was very minor arthritis in her hips. He assured me that old age was not the reason for the very sudden loss of appetite, but it was good she is still drinking water. Blood tests were ordered when even he couldn’t get her to eat some treats or a piece of bacon, but the results won’t be in until earliest Sunday. When I brought up the possibility of poisoning, I have very horrible next-door neighbors with dickish children, he said it couldn’t be ruled out, but doubts any rat poison or strychnine was ingested. He also said that due to her being slightly overweight to began with, if I wanted to force feed her liquid foods, I could, but she should be OK until the results are back. The exam ended with a B vitamin shot and directions to an emergency pet hospital, just in-case. I’m absolutely rattled and everyday Rogue just gets thinner and weaker.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2011, 03:50 AM
Try baby food the type you get in jars, they are very bland and can be fed straight from the jar. Dip your finger into the jar and offer it, if she looks away gently put some under her top lip. Sometimes this is enough to kick start them tasting the food and wanting more. If she still isnt interested leave it for a couple of hours and try again If she starts to eat the baby food at any time be cautious and dont feed more than one jar at any one time until you get the results of the blood tests.

Hugs from us
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2011, 07:42 AM
I'm so sorry you're no further forward, but I am pleased that your vet couldn't find anything serious during his examination.

I have everything crossed for your oldie.....

x0x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >