register for free
View our sister sites
Breedia
Over 50s Forum
Catsey
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
sarah1983 is offline  
Location: Bad Fallingbostel, Germany
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,166
Female 
 
01-10-2010, 08:54 PM
http://feelbach.com/qti.asp?QTID3=PetEN

Questionaire to fill in to find out what bach remedies should suit your dog. Payment if you order is in dollars but you could always order the individual remedies from a UK site.

Aspen, Mimulus and Rock Rose are supposed to be good for fear. Aspen and Mimulus are what the link above recommends for Rupe, might give them a try and see what happens.
Reply With Quote
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Tillymint is offline  
Location: East Sussex
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,314
Female 
 
01-10-2010, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
http://feelbach.com/qti.asp?QTID3=PetEN

Questionaire to fill in to find out what bach remedies should suit your dog. Payment if you order is in dollars but you could always order the individual remedies from a UK site.

Aspen, Mimulus and Rock Rose are supposed to be good for fear. Aspen and Mimulus are what the link above recommends for Rupe, might give them a try and see what happens.
I just tried - Aspen & Mimulus came up for Tilly too!
Reply With Quote
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
wilbar is offline  
Location: West Sussex UK
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,021
Female 
 
02-10-2010, 08:54 AM
I think that the Bach Centre is the best place to get the "real" Bach essences. I'm not sure that they licence anyone else to make & distribute them under their name. I could be wrong as it's sometime since I did my BFR course.

But I would be very wary of using complementary therapies from a "home-made" supplier.

BTW Mimulus is for known fears, Rock Rose is for extreme fear, Aspen is for fear of the unknown, Cherry Plum is for fear of losing the mind/insanity.

I have some BFR books,so if you're really sure of your dog's emotional state, then i'm happy to give more info from the books.
Reply With Quote
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
sarah1983 is offline  
Location: Bad Fallingbostel, Germany
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,166
Female 
 
02-10-2010, 10:49 AM
Rupe's terrified of other dogs which the mimulus would be good for. He also has weird random fears. One day he'll be fine with wet leaves, the next day terrified of them and the day after fine with them again. Or maybe today it'll be that traffic cone at the end of the street that he's ignored for the past year. Or that fence that's falling down. These random fears change on an almost daily basis. He's nervous and jumpy at the best of times but will go into complete shut down at times and then we have to figure out what dog eating monster he's discovered this time. Would aspen cover that?
Reply With Quote
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Tillymint is offline  
Location: East Sussex
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,314
Female 
 
02-10-2010, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
I think that the Bach Centre is the best place to get the "real" Bach essences. I'm not sure that they licence anyone else to make & distribute them under their name. I could be wrong as it's sometime since I did my BFR course.

But I would be very wary of using complementary therapies from a "home-made" supplier.

BTW Mimulus is for known fears, Rock Rose is for extreme fear, Aspen is for fear of the unknown, Cherry Plum is for fear of losing the mind/insanity.

I have some BFR books,so if you're really sure of your dog's emotional state, then i'm happy to give more info from the books.
Interesting! I wouldn't mix them myself, I think the holistic pets lady did a lot of things & sold (possibly still does) sell them on her website.
I'm not sure which of the above Tilly would fall into, possibly Aspen. She is the classic "I'm not quite sure about you so I'm going to get you before you get me" like a trust thing - especially with the feet. (I'm sure she has been kicked - well I know she was when she was a puppy & that person doesn't live here any more) She doesn't do it to me any more,occasionally she will launch at me feet but not bite.But the kids don't help with their body language as they tense up & say " she's going to get me" when they walk past her in the hall.So Tilly reads the signs & attacks their feet & she does bite. I've tried a million times to show the kids how to walk past her & show confidence,it took me long enough to learn to do it myself & I'm able to steam on past her or tell her to move. She may growl at me sometimes if I tell her to move but it's just a grumble & she does as I ask.
The weird thing is after she's got the feet, she then wags her tail & jumps up to play!!
So the bach I was giving her (beech & rock) stopped her doing this. She's started doing it again to the kids & also not happy about visitors (male ones) just in the last week since we run out.
As I said outside of the house she is totally relaxed with anyone, in fact she's a bit of a hussy, rubbing up to people for a fuss like butter wouldn't melt!
Sorry - waffling. I think my best option would be to re-home the kids
Reply With Quote
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
wilbar is offline  
Location: West Sussex UK
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,021
Female 
 
02-10-2010, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
Rupe's terrified of other dogs which the mimulus would be good for. He also has weird random fears. One day he'll be fine with wet leaves, the next day terrified of them and the day after fine with them again. Or maybe today it'll be that traffic cone at the end of the street that he's ignored for the past year. Or that fence that's falling down. These random fears change on an almost daily basis. He's nervous and jumpy at the best of times but will go into complete shut down at times and then we have to figure out what dog eating monster he's discovered this time. Would aspen cover that?
From what you say about Rupe, he sounds generally worried/anxious/nervous & Aspen is mentioned for all those things so it sounds right.

But BFR usually include 3 to 5 remedies, so perhaps mimulus for known fears & anxieties & Agrimony for sensitivity, inner turmoil & concealed fears as well.

But i'm not a qualified BFR practitioner ~ I've only done a 2 day course to treat my own animals, so if you are interested in going further, maybe consult a qualified BFR animal practitioner. The Natural Animal Centre has lists of qualified practitioners so you could try their website to see if there's someone in your area?

IMO the key is to really knowing your pet very well & understanding the emotions that they are feeling & the cause of those emotions. Sometimes, just labelling it "fear aggression" is too simple & perhaps doesn't get to the root cause of the fear ~ & the aggression part is how an animal reacts sometimes, rather than the emotional state it is in at the time it reacts aggressively.

You know Rupe best & can see his body language & how he behaves at these times, so maybe have a bit of a think about the underlying emotional state & see what would fit best. But you're certainly not doing any harm by including up to 5 remedies if you think they may all help.
Reply With Quote
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
wilbar is offline  
Location: West Sussex UK
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,021
Female 
 
02-10-2010, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
Interesting! I wouldn't mix them myself, I think the holistic pets lady did a lot of things & sold (possibly still does) sell them on her website.
I'm not sure which of the above Tilly would fall into, possibly Aspen. She is the classic "I'm not quite sure about you so I'm going to get you before you get me" like a trust thing - especially with the feet. (I'm sure she has been kicked - well I know she was when she was a puppy & that person doesn't live here any more) She doesn't do it to me any more,occasionally she will launch at me feet but not bite.But the kids don't help with their body language as they tense up & say " she's going to get me" when they walk past her in the hall.So Tilly reads the signs & attacks their feet & she does bite. I've tried a million times to show the kids how to walk past her & show confidence,it took me long enough to learn to do it myself & I'm able to steam on past her or tell her to move. She may growl at me sometimes if I tell her to move but it's just a grumble & she does as I ask.
The weird thing is after she's got the feet, she then wags her tail & jumps up to play!!
So the bach I was giving her (beech & rock) stopped her doing this. She's started doing it again to the kids & also not happy about visitors (male ones) just in the last week since we run out.
As I said outside of the house she is totally relaxed with anyone, in fact she's a bit of a hussy, rubbing up to people for a fuss like butter wouldn't melt!
Sorry - waffling. I think my best option would be to re-home the kids
Well there's certainly no reason why your kids can't be given Mimulus (known fears, i.e. Tilly).

When you say "Rock", do you mean Rock Rose or Rock Water?

Beech is for intolerance, being critical, abruptness, irritable annoyance & defience. Would you say this fits Tilly?

I knew a dog when I volunteered at the Dogs Trust that did just the same as Tilly with feet. Fine when out & about, but would grab at feet in times of stress, a bit hyped up etc. I think there was partly a learned element as it got her the attention she wanted too!

I wonder if maybe Impatiens might be appropriate? It is literally for impatience, but also for being short-tempered, nervous tension, aggravation, agitation, annoyance with others.

But as for my reply to sarah1983, you may want to see a qualified BFR animal practitioner for the best advice.

As for mixing the remedies yourself, it's very very easy. You can usually get the individual remedies from Boots. All you need are a couple of empty small dropper bottles, some distilled water & the remedies. Then fill an empty dropper bottle with the water & follow the instructions on the remedy bottles on the number of drops you put into the distilled water. Then you add a few drops of the water containing the remedies onto food.
Reply With Quote
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
sarah1983 is offline  
Location: Bad Fallingbostel, Germany
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,166
Female 
 
02-10-2010, 02:01 PM
Thanks Wilbar I don't think we can get anyone to come out to us because of security restrictions (military base in northern ireland) but certainly might be worth contacting someone and talking to them.

I would love to do a course, maybe next year when we're (hopefully) back in the real world I'll look into it.
Reply With Quote
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Lynn is offline  
Location: Upwell, Norfolk.
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 28,799
Female  Gold Supporter 
 
02-10-2010, 02:17 PM
I have just asked in Holland and Barrat and was advise only the larger stores stock the fear aggression remedy but she did say try on line.

Not sure if they would be the same ingredients though.
Reply With Quote
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Tillymint is offline  
Location: East Sussex
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,314
Female 
 
02-10-2010, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
Well there's certainly no reason why your kids can't be given Mimulus (known fears, i.e. Tilly).
never thought of that

When you say "Rock", do you mean Rock Rose or Rock Water?
It says on the bottle rock water

Beech is for intolerance, being critical, abruptness, irritable annoyance & defience. Would you say this fits Tilly?

Yes I think it does - the kids are teenagers. always shouting & running about & messing about with Tilly. They annoy me so I'm sure they annoy her too at times!

I knew a dog when I volunteered at the Dogs Trust that did just the same as Tilly with feet. Fine when out & about, but would grab at feet in times of stress, a bit hyped up etc. I think there was partly a learned element as it got her the attention she wanted too!

I wonder if maybe Impatiens might be appropriate? It is literally for impatience, but also for being short-tempered, nervous tension, aggravation, agitation, annoyance with others.

But as for my reply to sarah1983, you may want to see a qualified BFR animal practitioner for the best advice.

As for mixing the remedies yourself, it's very very easy. You can usually get the individual remedies from Boots. All you need are a couple of empty small dropper bottles, some distilled water & the remedies. Then fill an empty dropper bottle with the water & follow the instructions on the remedy bottles on the number of drops you put into the distilled water. Then you add a few drops of the water containing the remedies onto food.
Thanks for the advice, I will look further into it before I get my couldron out

Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I have just asked in Holland and Barrat and was advise only the larger stores stock the fear aggression remedy but she did say try on line.

Not sure if they would be the same ingredients though.
Thanks - never thought of that - I did look in GMC today in town, but was a bit bamboozled
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top