Or Register for FREE!





Anistel






madmare's Avatar
Dogsey Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Essex UK
Posts: 6,936
26-04-2010, 07:01 AM   #1

Greyhounds and antibiotics


Reply With Quote Nominate this person for a Member of The Month award

Welcome to the Dogsey Forums!
Welcome to the LARGEST DOG FORUM in the world!!*

Welcome, you are seeing this message because you are viewing our dog owners forum as a guest. You are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Dog Lovers, on the biggest and best dog forum in the world!*

Doing so will unlock lots of features enabling you to participate on the site... and will also get rid of this message box and the advert on the left.

Click here to register for FREE!

*Dogsey hosts the largest English language dog-related forum in the world! By total number of posts.

Dogsey Veteran
 
Dogs owned: Greyhound and lurcher
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kent, UK
Posts: 1,723
26-04-2010, 08:59 AM   #2

Re: Greyhounds and antibiotics


Hi i think antibiotics are ok, i'm not aware of any that should be avoided. I know certain anaesthetics can be dangerous. Also some flea treatments you have to be careful of as well.

Sorry if you have posted before but has he got a stomach problem then is that why he is on antibiotics ?



Reply With Quote Nominate this person for a Member of The Month award


kazer's Avatar
Dogsey Senior
 
Dogs owned: Greyhounds
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Manchester, England
Posts: 564
26-04-2010, 09:30 AM   #3

Re: Greyhounds and antibiotics


Robbie has a sensitive stomach and the slightest change in his diet or if he picks something up outside, he can be the same as you describe with Kyiro. Last November it went on for two days of not feeding him and then giving him something bland and he would be bad again. Took him to the vets and he also had a temperature so the vet gave him a long lasting antibiotic injection, this was on a Friday, starved him again for the next 24 hours, and by the Saturday teatime he was getting back to normal. If it has gone on for a few days with no improvement, I'd take him to the vets.

We now also keep a stock of Pro-Kolin in just in case he is a bit loose and we give him a dose and he is usually ok.



Reply With Quote Nominate this person for a Member of The Month award


Dogsey Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: uk
Posts: 18,489
26-04-2010, 10:03 AM   #4

Re: Greyhounds and antibiotics


I certainly think the dog needs to see the Vet, but surely they will be aware of what meds they can and cant have? If they dont, Id change Vets. I hope he is ok.



Reply With Quote Nominate this person for a Member of The Month award


madmare's Avatar
Dogsey Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Essex UK
Posts: 6,936
26-04-2010, 10:54 AM   #5

Re: Greyhounds and antibiotics


Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhoundk
Hi i think antibiotics are ok, i'm not aware of any that should be avoided. I know certain anaesthetics can be dangerous. Also some flea treatments you have to be careful of as well.

Sorry if you have posted before but has he got a stomach problem then is that why he is on antibiotics ?
He is not on antibiotics at the moment. He refused to eat yesterday and was very quiet and today I have withheld food as he has dire rear running out of him like brown water.
Just a bit concerned if I take him to the vet he doesn't have an antibiotic that is dangerous for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazer
Robbie has a sensitive stomach and the slightest change in his diet or if he picks something up outside, he can be the same as you describe with Kyiro. Last November it went on for two days of not feeding him and then giving him something bland and he would be bad again. Took him to the vets and he also had a temperature so the vet gave him a long lasting antibiotic injection, this was on a Friday, starved him again for the next 24 hours, and by the Saturday teatime he was getting back to normal. If it has gone on for a few days with no improvement, I'd take him to the vets.

We now also keep a stock of Pro-Kolin in just in case he is a bit loose and we give him a dose and he is usually ok.
Thanks I may ring the vet in a moment and try and get him an appointment as he is not drinking either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderdawn
I certainly think the dog needs to see the Vet, but surely they will be aware of what meds they can and cant have? If they dont, Id change Vets. I hope he is ok.
You would be surprised Dawn how many vets don't know about greys reactions to different things. We do have a grehound specialist at a practice near me but I would rather stay with my own vet, who may be aware and is very good usually with everything and does listen if you point things out to him.
I would rather just be aware before I go, just in case.



Reply With Quote Nominate this person for a Member of The Month award


Dogsey Junior
 
Dogs owned: Heinz57
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South
Posts: 64
pointyhound is Male
27-04-2010, 02:49 PM   #6

Re: Greyhounds and antibiotics


If he does need anti-bs, give him a dollop of natural yoghurt to get his gut bacteria back to normal.

I'll try and find a document I got from somewhere for you. It's about idiosyncracies of greyhounds. Would be good for future reference - got stuff about blood levels in it as they are different to other breeds in some ways.



Reply With Quote Nominate this person for a Member of The Month award


Dogsey Junior
 
Dogs owned: Heinz57
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South
Posts: 64
pointyhound is Male
27-04-2010, 02:51 PM   #7

Re: Greyhounds and antibiotics


Here it is.

http://www.greyhound-data.com/dir/44...lth_Packet.pdf

(edited to add, it does say on the website it's from that people are free to take copies and distrubute the link)



Reply With Quote Nominate this person for a Member of The Month award


madmare's Avatar
Dogsey Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Essex UK
Posts: 6,936
27-04-2010, 03:06 PM   #8

Re: Greyhounds and antibiotics


Thankyou,
I am pleased to report he didn't need a vet visit and is now starting to get back on his food and seems fine again.



Reply With Quote Nominate this person for a Member of The Month award


Dogsey Veteran
 
Dogs owned: Greyhound and lurcher
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kent, UK
Posts: 1,723
27-04-2010, 04:31 PM   #9

Re: Greyhounds and antibiotics


Glad Kyiro is eating again ok, they can be fussy beggars ! and prone to stomach problems.

I know you have to be careful with anaesthetics and i think Rapinovet is recommended for greys (its something to do with bodyfat i think ) and i think most vets use this anyway now.

Also some flea treatments are to be avoided, flea collars.



Reply With Quote Nominate this person for a Member of The Month award

Reply

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 




Copyright ©2004-2014, Dogsey.com