Anistel

Dogsey Junior

Dogs owned: Cockapoo
30-03-2010, 11:00 PM   #1

Anyone know how to get burdock out of my dog's fur

Reply With Quote Nominate this person for a Member of The Month award

Welcome to the Dogsey Forums!
Welcome to the LARGEST DOG FORUM in the world!!*

Welcome, you are seeing this message because you are viewing our dog owners forum as a guest. You are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Dog Lovers, on the biggest and best dog forum in the world!*

Doing so will unlock lots of features enabling you to participate on the site... and will also get rid of this message box and the advert on the left.

Click here to register for FREE!

*Dogsey hosts the largest English language dog-related forum in the world! By total number of posts.

Dogsey Junior

Dogs owned: Borzoi,Corgi,GSD,Lurcher
31-03-2010, 11:34 PM   #2

Re: Anyone know how to get burdock out of my dog's fur

Is Burdock a form of seed? When you say Burdock,I can only think of a drink we have here,called Dandelion & Burdock. If it is some sort of small teasel type of seed,you could try rubbing neat conditioner into the hair and then brushing through,which should ease them out,not forgetting to rinse out the conditioner afterwards,very important!Hope this helps.

Dogsey Junior

31-03-2010, 11:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windhound
Is Burdock a form of seed? When you say Burdock,I can only think of a drink we have here,called Dandelion & Burdock. If it is some sort of small teasel type of seed,you could try rubbing neat conditioner into the hair and then brushing through,which should ease them out,not forgetting to rinse out the conditioner afterwards,very important!Hope this helps.
It's the same thing oddly enough - when I was doing a search on it google said you guys have a dandelion and burdock "soda" type drink. So yes, it's what you think it is

What is "neat" conditioner? Is it just a normal hair conditioner or is it the hair remover?

Thanks for the help!!

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: One-and-a-half Belgians
01-04-2010, 12:05 AM   #4

Burdock burrs are dreadful and I am sure you know what they are - imagine something a bit smaller than a marble but dry and composed of little hooks, that can either cling on as a whole thing, but usually breaks up into many many little hooky tangly things that get everywhere?

Same plant as Dandelion & Burdock but the roots are used for the drink. Leaves are usually very big and soft. It's the horrible seeds =burrs that are the issue.

Yes have heard of soaking them in something, useless to try and groom them out if your dog has picked up whole clusters of them. They just knit together any soft hair into mats and clumps and I do feel sorry for a dog that's picked up loads, as mine has done a few times.

I would think a bath would help, they lose their grip when wet especially with detergent. Possibly spray a diluted conditioner on them with a squirty bottle and then try with an undercoat rake if you don't want to do the bath. Depends on how nastily the evil things have invaded your dog's coat. They can knit up everything, given the chance.

Dogsey Junior

Dogs owned: Borzoi,Corgi,GSD,Lurcher
01-04-2010, 12:06 AM   #5

Neat conditioner is Hair conditioner which has not been diluted with water,so it is thick and creamy,and easy to massage into the hair. You then comb or brush it through the coat taking the seeds with it. Hopefully this will work. Do not forget to rinse out once you have finished combing through.

Supervisor

01-04-2010, 12:06 AM   #6

My little dog is forever getting teasels in her beard and legs, I just wet them with warm water to make them soft and tease them out gently with my fingers.

Dogsey Junior

01-04-2010, 12:38 AM   #7

Ginger isn't too keen on us grooming those burdocks out of her fur - we did give her a hosing off tonite cuz she went thru the mud and was a mess - most of them are off of her I think - unfortunately some of them got stuck in MY sweats, pricking my skin But I'm going to try the conditioner next time. She's due for a grooming so that'll help keep her from getting burdocky

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: Border collie/Golden retriever
03-04-2010, 11:11 PM   #8

I sympathize. They're no fun! When we got a bunch in Dahlia's tail, we cut into the burrs a bit to break them into pieces and slowly combed them out. We did end up cutting a bit of her fur to get them out. I'll try wetting them down next time. I had no idea that could help get the out too.

Dogsey Junior

Dogs owned: Border Collie & Staff x
06-04-2010, 04:52 PM   #9

Make sure you use a doggy conditioner, avoid anything else like baby oil etc, as its not the right ph level for dogs, and can damage and upset the skin.

I would suggest a good bath and and dog conditioner and then tease out gently with a wide tooth comb first and then the smaller tooth sid eof the comb.

Hope this helps.

Dogsey Junior

06-04-2010, 05:30 PM   #10

Thank you, I'll give this a shot. It's my b-day today and hubby is taking me out to dinner and we'll probably stop at the store before hand so I'll look and see if I can find some doggy conditioner and I have just the comb for what you suggest.

Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearywolf
Make sure you use a doggy conditioner, avoid anything else like baby oil etc, as its not the right ph level for dogs, and can damage and upset the skin.

I would suggest a good bath and and dog conditioner and then tease out gently with a wide tooth comb first and then the smaller tooth sid eof the comb.

Hope this helps.