Anistel

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: chinese crested
03-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #1

How long could a dog be kenneled for?

Reply With Quote Nominate this person for a Member of The Month award

Welcome to the Dogsey Forums!
Welcome to the LARGEST DOG FORUM in the world!!*

Welcome, you are seeing this message because you are viewing our dog owners forum as a guest. You are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Dog Lovers, on the biggest and best dog forum in the world!*

Doing so will unlock lots of features enabling you to participate on the site... and will also get rid of this message box and the advert on the left.

Click here to register for FREE!

*Dogsey hosts the largest English language dog-related forum in the world! By total number of posts.

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: Labrador/Yorkie/Slovakian RHP
03-03-2010, 04:39 PM   #2

Re: How long could a dog be kenneled for?

I don't see a problem in keeping a dog in an out door kennel while you are not there. Provided they are introduced to it properly of course. A Lab would probably be fine in an unheated kennel as they don't generally feel the cold at all. Boxers on the other hand have quite short coats? I'm not sure how well they would cope with it.

I'm not quite understanding of your situation though. You and your boyfriend want to get a Boxer and a Lab. Presumably you would be getting these at least a year or two apart from each other, as both are quite slow to mature? would your boyfriends parents be ok housing 5 or 6 dogs (you mention 4 Chinese Cresteds in anther thread)? would they ever go in the house, or would they have to live in your boyfriends wooden outhouse?

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: BC's & GWPxSlovak
03-03-2010, 05:32 PM   #3

I think if it's a solution to a problem and the dogs wont suffer because of it then go ahead. Dogs are hardy creatures and we have a tendency nowadays to lavish them with many of our own comforts and forget they are animals (which can cause a whole load of other problems but thats a different thread!)

I agree a lab would be more suited to outdoor living than a boxer.

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: chinese crested
03-03-2010, 05:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by labradork
I don't see a problem in keeping a dog in an out door kennel while you are not there. Provided they are introduced to it properly of course. A Lab would probably be fine in an unheated kennel as they don't generally feel the cold at all. Boxers on the other hand have quite short coats? I'm not sure how well they would cope with it.

I'm not quite understanding of your situation though. You and your boyfriend want to get a Boxer and a Lab. Presumably you would be getting these at least a year or two apart from each other, as both are quite slow to mature? would your boyfriends parents be ok housing 5 or 6 dogs (you mention 4 Chinese Cresteds in anther thread)? would they ever go in the house, or would they have to live in your boyfriends wooden outhouse?
right, i did say that i dont really see this happening, it was more a question of thought than me getting myself into the situation.
i dont know if we would ever have either breed together, he likes boxers but is more keen on labs, i like labs but am more keen to own a boxer.
the house is a pub, and dogs are welcome and all times so could go in if we went with them. the cabin, or the hut as we call it is fully heated has electricity/water etc so is more like a caravan, but bigger. kind of like a small house, so whenever we were in they would be in there with us, if we go in the pub for an hour or so they would probably come with.
as for his mum and dad they dont mind. they are animal crazy, have two dogs of their own and 2 cats, and are also looking at fostering dogs.

i just wondered really whether it was ok to keep dogs kennelled during the day when there wasnt someone there because i wouldnt want them running riot in the hut, with the cresteds unsupervised i would be worried about an accident.

again not saying this situation is ever going to happen, it was just a general thought i had about dogs being in kennels.

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: BCx & BC
09-03-2010, 12:24 AM   #5

i dont see anything wrong with a dog being left in a kennel when the owners are out. my uncle does that with his lab (and many that have gone before) when he is out and has never had any problems. they always go in happily, although they are always happy to come out too