Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vics
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-11-2009, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
You need to watch the puppy, not the clock. Take it out at what seems random times to it, and it will only be confused about why you are taking it out. Learn to identify when it needs to go out , and take it out then. Raven is our 19'th young puppy, 8 weeks, since 1991. We have had her about a week. Things are going quite well as usual.

Much of housebreaking is not training the puppy, but making it easier for your puppy, you, and your carpet while its body to catches up to its instincts. At around 8 weeks when the puppy goes to its new home, the time from when it realizes it has to go, and when it can't wait any longer is a matter of seconds. Only time will fix that. You can hardly be expected to be attentive enough to avoid all accidents. There is no sense punishing the puppy for your inattention. It is not fair to punish you either, but you still have to clean it up if you didn't have the puppy outside in time.

Housebreaking starts before you get home with the new puppy. If you don't have a crate, buy one. I prefer the more enclosed, den like plastic ones. Skip the bedding. At first it gets wet, and later it can be chewed into choking hazards. A wire grid in the bottom will help keep the puppy up out of accidents at first. They are available with the crates, but expensive and hard to find. A piece of closely spaced wire closet shelving from a home supply place is cheaper. I am now using a plastic vegetable bin with plenty of holes drilled in the bottom. It helps block off part of the crate for the smaller puppy. If you already have a metal crate, covering it may help. Just make sure you use something the puppy can't pull in and chew. Dogs that start out in crates as little puppies, accept them very well. Never leave an unattended puppy loose in the house. If nobody can watch it, put it in the crate. I suggest letting the dog have its crate all its life. A crate needs to be just big enough for a dog to stretch out in.

Choose a command and spot you want it to use. The less accessible to strays, the less chance of serious disease. If it is a female, choosing a non grassy spot will avoid brown spots later. When you bring it home, take it to the spot and give it the command in a firm, but friendly voice. Keep repeating the command and let the puppy sniff around. Sometimes you need to walk it around to stimulate its body to eliminate. If it does anything, praise it. Really let it know what a good dog it is and how much you love it, and maybe a treat. Note, being out there not only means you can praise it, but it also keeps it from being snatched by a hawk. If it doesn't go, take it inside and give it a drink and any meals scheduled. A young puppy will need to go out immediately afterward. Go to the spot and follow the above routine. Praising it if it goes is extremely important. If it doesn't go, take it back inside and put it in its crate and try again soon. Do not let it loose in the house until it does go.

At first it is your responsibility to know and take the puppy out when it needs to go. It needs to go out the first thing in the morning, after eating, drinking, and sleeping. If it quits playing, and starts running around sniffing, it is looking for a place to go. Take it out quickly. You will just have to be what I call puppy broke until it is a little older. How successful you are depends on how attentive you are.

By the time most dogs are about 3 months old, they have figured out that if they go to the door and stand, you will let them out. The praise slowly shifts to going to the door. Some people hang a bell there for the dog to paw. If your dog doesn't figure this out, try praising it and putting it out if it even gets near the door. When you catch it in the act, give it a sharp ''Ah, ah, ah!'' and take it out. Clean up accidents promptly. I mostly keep the little puppies out of the carpeted rooms. Still I need the can of carpet foam sometimes. First blot up all the urine you can with a dry towel. Keep moving it and stepping on it until a fresh area stays dry. A couple big putty knives work well on bowel movements. Just slide one under it while holding it with the other. This gets it up with a minimum of pushing it down into the carpet. This works with even relatively soft ones, vomit, dirt from over turned house plants, or anything else from solids to thick liquids. Finish up with a good shot of carpet foam. Note, do not let the puppy lick up the carpet foam. Once the dog is reliably housebroken, your carpet may need a good steam cleaning.

Many people strongly strongly push cleaning up all evidence of past accidents. I am slower to suggest that. Dogs will return to the same spot if they can find it. When you see one sniffing the spot, that is your clue to run it out.
Thanks for your post Labman. It's great advice and to be honest we are doing everything you mentioned now. It was really hard to start with but I think we're finally getting on track now. We don't take out 'by the clock' and take Beau out after every meal, when he wakes up and when he starts sniffing. We still have a few accidents but I expect that at 9 weeks. We've had no 'solid' accidents for over 24 hours now I think thats partly due to the fact we have chicken wired off a section of garden to make it completely safe (the garden was secure anyway but he was running behind the plants and conifers and becaue he likes to eat ANYTHING I didn't want him behind there where I couldn't see him!) so we no longer have to take him out on his lead which seems to have made toileting easier.

Btw, we have no carpets downstairs, thank goodness! Only a rug from which he is only allowed on under very strict supervision and only after he has just toileted outside
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Skip the bedding. At first it gets wet, and later it can be chewed into choking hazards. A wire grid in the bottom will help keep the puppy up out of accidents at first.
Are we talking about puppies here or battery hens in this county we don't put puppies on wire grids or as you state in another thread ''a piece of closely spaced wire closet shelving from a home supply place''
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=115677

imagine a small breed puppy on one of these its feet would fall through
Puppies feel the cold and miss the warmth of their dam and siblings when first removed from the litter. They need a warm bed like a blanket or vet bed not to stand for hours on wire shelving in case they soil because someone won't take them out or at the very least allow them a space to soil. I am amazed that the Guide Dogs for the blind organisation in America allows such treatment of puppies by their puppy walkers.

Apologies Vics for having to disagree with someone in your thread, many people read this website and I would hate to see someone copying this suggestion and treating a puppy in this way.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

15-11-2009, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by Vics View Post
Thanks for your post Labman. It's great advice and to be honest we are doing everything you mentioned now. It was really hard to start with but I think we're finally getting on track now. We don't take out 'by the clock' and take Beau out after every meal, when he wakes up and when he starts sniffing. We still have a few accidents but I expect that at 9 weeks. We've had no 'solid' accidents for over 24 hours now I think thats partly due to the fact we have chicken wired off a section of garden to make it completely safe (the garden was secure anyway but he was running behind the plants and conifers and becaue he likes to eat ANYTHING I didn't want him behind there where I couldn't see him!) so we no longer have to take him out on his lead which seems to have made toileting easier.

Btw, we have no carpets downstairs, thank goodness! Only a rug from which he is only allowed on under very strict supervision and only after he has just toileted outside

Puppies dont work by clock watching, you are doing it right be watching and observing your baby...he will tell you when he needs to go potty.

BTW, thats not to say routine is not important, it is, but that comes with time and consistency as pup grows. for now continue to follow your instinct, and remember any accidents are your fault not pups

Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Are we talking about puppies here or battery hens in this county we don't put puppies on wire grids or as you state in another thread ''a piece of closely spaced wire closet shelving from a home supply place''http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=115677

imagine a small breed puppy on one of these its feet would fall through
Puppies feel the cold and miss the warmth of their dam and siblings when first removed from the litter. They need a warm bed like a blanket or vet bed not to stand for hours on wire shelving in case they soil because someone won't take them out or at the very least allow them a space to soil. I am amazed that the Guide Dogs for the blind organisation in America allows such treatment of puppies by their puppy walkers.

Completely agree , we are talking small puppies here, WIRE GRIDS FOR GODS SAKE:!!!!!!!!!!! the more one hears of the way this organisation works, the more one is horrified

Apologies Vics for having to disagree with someone in your thread, many people read this website and I would hate to see someone copying this suggestion and treating a puppy in this way.

Again Vics, apoligies for pointing this misguided info out to you, sadly we do occasionally get members here with such controversial advice in the rearing of pups/dogs, we have to point it out for the sake of any one reading our web site, and thinking that such advice is universal!!!
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Hi Vics,
We are also in the process of toilet training Kissy a 9 week old pup.
I have a supply of bedding,so that if she does make a mistake I can get out the soiled bedding and wash it and put clean in her crate where she sleeps.

Consistency is the key, and toilet training can get frustrating but just keep plodding on,your pup will get there.

We spend lots of time in the garden,we take Kissy out every 30 mins when she is awake,after feeding,waking,playing etc.

She is doing pretty well,however Meg my older girl,was a nightmare and difficult,very frustrating but we did get there in the end
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-11-2009, 01:19 PM
Vics, let me point out that I likely have more experience housebreaking puppies than my critics put together. Count on them for the best of the 50's advice.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

15-11-2009, 01:36 PM
Vics, let me point out that I likely have more experience housebreaking puppies than my critics put together. Count on them for the best of the 50's advice.
My what an ego

Funny, but it seems your methods are the ones out of the ark, not all your critics.

If Vics or anyone reading and asking for advice wishes to follow your recommendations, thats up to them.

Hers a few examples for them to ponder over.

Lock pups up in crates for 8 hrs a day.

Put wire mesh on the floor of crate,

Chain puppies to tethers so they dont pee all over the house.

Just a few to be getting on with....any takers
tabsmagic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-11-2009, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Oh, and ditch the puppy pads! awful inventions. If you see him heading towards the back door, scoop him up outside ASAP and put him on the grass. The pads will only confuse him as dogs do not generalize well. A sofa, bed, carpet...any soft surface...could be fair game for him to toilet on and you certainly don't want that.
I have never used these but often wondered about them.......it must teach them that going by the door is ok?
Strange concept?!?!
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2009, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post

If Vics or anyone reading and asking for advice wishes to follow your recommendations, thats up to them.

Hers a few examples for them to ponder over.

Lock pups up in crates for 8 hrs a day.

Put wire mesh on the floor of crate,

Chain puppies to tethers so they dont pee all over the house.

Just a few to be getting on with....any takers
No thanks

kissy is 9 weeks and into everything but isn't that how pups learn,by been taught and guided by there new owners,by been consistant,rewarding and praising the behaviour etc which is required.

By doing the above (quoted) what is a puppy actually learning ?
Not alot and it is cruel in my opinion,we are talking living breathing animals not a stuffed toy!
Meg
Supervisor

15-11-2009, 04:01 PM
..and here are a few more pronouncments about your abilities made to a number of members here taken from one other thread..
Be prepared for a lot of bad advice from people with little or no experience or training.
Do you want to believe an ordinary dog owner or a team of professionals that has been breeding 300-400 large breed puppies a year and following most of them through their whole life? I doubt Labrodork has 0.1% of the experience the dog guide school I raise puppies for does. At 12 weeks, they are almost old enough to cut back to 2 meals.
I can't find it, but not too long ago there was a thread ''How do you know what you know'' or some such. It made it quite apparent most of the answers here come from a person with nothing beyond the limited experience any one person can have in a life time. Those born knowing all there is to know and no need for any training or reading a book.
And by the way, if you took time to read my profile or many of my posts, you would know I am far more than a dog walker.
The inmates are very much in charge of that asylum and are making great progress here. I am free to go back there, but will not be a part of a site with an idiot for a moderator.
Labman, I usually make a point of not disagreeing with other posters preferring instead to make suggestions and to let the person asking the question choose for themselves which suggestions to follow, but in your case I have made an exception because you are continually posting about methods which many here consider to be detrimental to the wellbeing of dogs.

Before you get too carried away by your expertise let me tell you there are some very knowledgeable and experienced people on this forum and by their standards your experience pales into insignificance. They don't however feel the need to continually brag about their experience as you do, in this country it is 'not done' to boast about ones experience .

I see from your profile you began training puppies in 1991, in another thread you say..
''20 years ago, I too was an average dog owner clueless''

In 1964 I started training (and house training puppies)in one of the largest Terrier kennels the country, by my reckoning that gives me a 27 year head start on you and I am only one among a number on this forum to have worked so long with dogs, most of us don't consider ourselves to be experts. Add to that the various trainers/behaviourists/rescue people on this forum who also have a wealth of knowledge and this really puts your limited experience into perspective.

If you add together the years of experience your critics on this forum have it will be in the hundreds!

ETA Now can people please get back on topic which is Vic's puppy not how much people know.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2009, 05:18 PM
Hi Vic

Aw your pup is still so very young at 9 weeks; I hope you do go ahead and give him a comfortable bed with bedding. It's not so long ago that he had the warmth and comfort of his littermates.

Most dogs prefer not to soil their beds as a rule but if they have no choice and have to, they shouldn't be punished for it. Being enclosed in a crate overnight is a long time for a puppy - have you considered taking him outside at a later time to give him the opportunity to go?

One thing you could do - if practical for your situation - is put down plastic sheeting around the bed area and cover with newspaper. This helps for easy cleaning/disposal of soiled coverings if there are accidents. I covered all the way to the back door (which is in my kitchen). This was in case the puppy had an accident on route to the back door and garden - I didn't use a crate though but this might still be useful for you during the day, if the puppy is out of the crate.

I agree with the majority of the other posters. This is what I did:

I routinely took him to a designated 'toilet' place in the garden at regular intervals (around 30 mins or so to begin with) and gave a command (your choice, I used "be clean"). I didn't reprimand if he didn't got but gave lots of reward if he did - treats and LOTS of praise in a happy, squeaky voice . I repeated this at intervals of around 30 minutes but also after games, food, sleep, periods of excitement, etc. and if he seemed to be sniffing/circling.

I wouldn't make a fuss over accidents indoors, although if you find the pup about to go, you can say, "ah-ah" or something, pick him up and quickly take him outside to his toilet area and go through with the above (and hope you make it outside in time )..

It doesn't happen instantly but it will happen if you are patient and persevere.

Good luck with it all.

(I read that cleaning any soiled area with a solution of biological washing powder helps to get rid of any smell that might entice the puppy to soil there again.)
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2