Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Barbs
New Member!
Female 

02-07-2009, 06:22 PM

Lab puppy with jaw judder?

Hi I have a 10 week old lab puppy. We have had Harley a week and have noticed his jaw 'juddering' at times. The first time we noticed it was in the car on the way home from his breeder at which time it was quite pronounced. Since then he seems to have done it about 3 or four times a day. Just a bit worried as my old dog that died recently had a similar issue a few years ago which did self resolve but my vet said that she was having minor fits. Would really appreciate any information that anyone has about jaw juddering, do I need to worry?
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-07-2009, 06:38 PM
speak to your vet?
Barbs
New Member!
Female 

02-07-2009, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
speak to your vet?
thanks for the welcome

Just after some friendly advice
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2009, 07:00 PM
Hello and welcome

Haven't seen what your puppy is doing but some dogs and cats too do a jaw juddering thing when they are excited , nervous etc .
It sounds like their teeth are chattering , is that what your puppy is doing ?
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2009, 07:03 PM
Welcome to dogsey.

Both Pharaoh and Bizkit (lurchers)chatter their teeth and judder their mouths when their nervous or excited, but it's never led to fits or anything sinister, just something they do. Bizkit (my mum's dog) does it so vigourously we call it 'purring' Both dogs are now 11 yrs old and have never had any fits...

It may be nothing sinister just nervous energy.. But if you're worried talk to the vet.

I'm sure someone who knows more about Labs in particular will be along shortly to offer better breed advice.. It maybe something more sinister in Labs than lurchers I guess?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2009, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
Hello and welcome

Haven't seen what your puppy is doing but some dogs and cats too do a jaw juddering thing when they are excited , nervous etc .
yup kaos did this when he was young when he got excited

teagan did it last night when gordon came in from work. god knows why its not something she has done very often and shes nearly 6
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-07-2009, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by Barbs View Post
thanks for the welcome

Just after some friendly advice
sorry barbs, i didnt notice you were new.
you haven't posted this in the introductions section (although I reply to posts i am interested in using 'new posts' function, so am never interested which section they came from or any other header info).

speak to the vet is my friendly advice, as it sounds like something may be medically wrong....either that or it's stress, tension, or excitement.

either way, you wont know if you don't speak to your vet
Barbs
New Member!
Female 

02-07-2009, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
Hello and welcome

Yes thats it, the same as a cat when stalking we have thought it is a sensory type reaction as he seems to do it more when excited, I am very glad to hear other people have seen the same thing in their dogs without diar consequences! We have been reluctant to believe it was terribly sinister as we went to great lengths to select a good breeder for our new arrival after the heartbreaking loss of my old lady, Elsa.

Of course our vet will be our next line of enquiry but just wanted to get the opinion of other owners, which is much appreciated, thank you
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2009, 07:23 PM
My whippets used to do this when they were young , there was usually some reason for it like being in the car and seeing a rabbit or something equally exciting
Barbs
New Member!
Female 

02-07-2009, 07:36 PM
It has certainly occurred more in the car which does make me think it is stress/excitement related. We are going to the vet for his 3rd jab on Monday week so will ask him his opinion then, but I think my worst worries have subsided. Thank you again.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >