View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
choccy860
New Member!

14-05-2005, 05:05 PM

Are ultrasound scans accurate

Mated my staffie on 12th April, we had a good 50 minute tie ( she was approx 9 days in to her season). I had her scanned on thursday. She would have been 31 days from mating. The scan showed nothing. My vet says this means she is definately not pregnant has anyone heard of scans not detecting puppies before. Not sure wether to get her scanned at another vets or have a blood test done or just let nature take its course. Any advice would be great
minty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

14-05-2005, 05:27 PM
if the vet is experienced with scans they are very accurate ....but if you mated your girl at 9 days i woudnt think she has been caught it was to early to mate her
by the way hello and welcome to dogweb
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-05-2005, 05:33 PM
Hello and welcome to Dogweb Choccy

I too would say too that scans are nearly always accurate. When I bred my bitch for the first time I had a scan and was told there were no pups and the vet was correct. The second time I mated her the pups showed up on the scan straight away.

I actually mated one of my bitches on day 9 just the once and she got pregnant, but I had the advantage of having her rampant brother at home who let me knew that we had the right day
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2005, 05:35 PM
I agree with Minty, I think day 9 is a bit too early to catch although not impossible. But if day 31 from mating and there is nothing showing on scan, I think it is safe (but sad) to say she has missed.

Length of tie is nothing to go by, she could of had a slipped mating with no tie and still end up pregnant if the timing was right.

Have you got to go back for another scan? or was your vet certain this is the end result?

Welcome to Dogweb!
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-05-2005, 05:37 PM
Hi and welcome to Dogweb
choccy860
New Member!

14-05-2005, 06:29 PM
I thought day 9 was too early as well but she was very keen and stood for him, only resisting when it got a bit uncomfortable. I took her back for a second time but he wasn't interested she was alot more keen but he was actually a bit aggressive toward her. The vet thought he saw something suspicious at a scan at 24 days but wasn't certain.Then on friday nothing could be found.She has been sick a couple of times, is eating more and so much less active hiding away when she can. Maybe i'm looking too hard for symptoms in the hope she is.Vet said not to bring her back they were certain.Thanks for the warm welcome
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2005, 06:38 PM
hiya and welcome to dogweb, good luck with your bitch
Whiz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-05-2005, 06:44 PM
When we bred our bitch she was taken for a scan on day 28, the vet counted six pups and six she had.

I would say its highly unlikely that shes taken this time, but if you are not happy you could always get a second opinion from another vet.
Welcome to Dogweb
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2005, 07:00 PM
H Chocco
Although day 9 is early if she stood it is likely that she was ready.Also sperm can live for days inside a bitch and so even if she wasn't ready she may have ovulated 2-3 days later and the sperm would still be viable.
As for scans....well I know several people who have said that they've had scans tell them the bitch was either empty and she wasn't or that she was carrying far less than she actually produced.
She is still only at 4+ weeks and so I wouldn't give up hope yet but would also not bother with another scan...at the end of the day what will be will be.