register for free
View our sister sites
Breedia
Over 50s Forum
Catsey
View Poll Results: Does a domestic dog that it will die one day?
Dogs know fine well that they will die one day 10 16.13%
Dogs can't know that they will die one day 46 74.19%
Some dogs might figure it out 6 9.68%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.



Reply
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Phil
Dogsey Veteran
Phil is offline  
Location: Perthshire
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 10,900
Male 
 
04-04-2009, 08:42 PM

Do dogs know they will die ?

Something I was watching on the television got me thinking.

Do dogs know that one day they will die ?

We know that we'll die one day because it's obviously been happening for as long as people have been around.

Wild animals might know something about it but what about the domestic pet dog.

I can't see how a dog that's lived with people since puppyhood can have any idea that one day it will die.

I'm not talking about a dog realising that it's 'about' to die - just whether or not a young normal fit dog knows that one day he will.

Just wondered what other people thought ??
Reply With Quote
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Reisu is offline  
Location: Kent, UK
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,024
Female 
 
04-04-2009, 08:50 PM
Hmm.. I think that they can recognise death, but I don't think they necessarily realise that they themselves are going to die. Like how they say letting a dog see it's dead friends body lets them know that they aren't going to come back. I don't think they'd make the connection that one day the same will happen to them, as they tend to just live from one day to the next without much thought for anything but the now (mine does anyway!! )
Reply With Quote
Meg
Supervisor
Meg is offline  
Location: Dogsey and Worcestershire
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 48,946
Female  Diamond Supporter 
 
04-04-2009, 08:52 PM
Hi Phil dogs are thought to have no 'awareness of self' so I don't think it is possible for them to contemplate their own demise.
Reply With Quote
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Shona is offline  
Location: grangemouth for the moment
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 14,882
Female 
 
04-04-2009, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by Reisu View Post
Hmm.. I think that they can recognise death, but I don't think they necessarily realise that they themselves are going to die. Like how they say letting a dog see it's dead friends body lets them know that they aren't going to come back. I don't think they'd make the connection that one day the same will happen to them, as they tend to just live from one day to the next without much thought for anything but the now (mine does anyway!! )
thats sort of how I see it,

though I have to say phil, its an intresting question, not one I have asked myself before.
Reply With Quote
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
cava14una is offline  
Location: Fife Scotland
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,938
Female 
 
04-04-2009, 08:56 PM
I think dogs do recognise death but I think they also live in the moment so won't think ahead that much
Reply With Quote
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Jackie is offline  
Location: UK
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 12,876
Female  Diamond Supporter 
 
04-04-2009, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
thats sort of how I see it,
though I have to say phil, its an intresting question, not one I have asked myself before.
I agree , I dont think they know that death is inevitable , but I do think that some dogs may know when their time is up...

You hear stories of dogs seeking out a quiet place to die.

I know of a friends Rotti who did this...
Reply With Quote
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Dale's mum is offline  
Location: Kkkkkkkiiiiiool
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,408
Female 
 
04-04-2009, 08:59 PM
I think dogs live more in the present than we do so I can't imagine they think about it.
When they're close to the end I suspect they sense it just like some people.
Reply With Quote
Phil
Dogsey Veteran
Phil is offline  
Location: Perthshire
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 10,900
Male 
 
04-04-2009, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I agree , I dont think they know that death is inevitable , but I do think that some dogs may know when their time is up...

You hear stories of dogs seeking out a quiet place to die.

I know of a friends Rotti who did this...
Cats do that too don't they. I always worry that I'll not know if my cats have died
Reply With Quote
basi
Dogsey Senior
basi is offline  
Location: Perthshire, Scotland
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 650
Female 
 
04-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I agree , I dont think they know that death is inevitable , but I do think that some dogs may know when their time is up...

You hear stories of dogs seeking out a quiet place to die.

I know of a friends Rotti who did this...

That is what my grans dog did years ago. She never ran away ever until this one day she took herself off to her fave walking place and just laid down and died bless her. I don't think they know until it gets to that time.
Reply With Quote
Harry21
Dogsey Junior
Harry21 is offline  
Location: Portsmouth, UK
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 236
Male 
 
04-04-2009, 09:33 PM
Well dogs live in the now dont they...
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top