Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pam2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-07-2007, 10:39 PM

crate

How long do you think it is worth persevering introducing a pup to a crate?
I don't think Charlie is going to take to his crate at all!
It's been a few weeks now and he still does not voluntarily settle in it by himself.
I introduced it the same way as I did with my older dog, who liked his crate as a pup, I am still leaving the door open, but as soon as he has had his dinner, treat or play in it he just leaves and never enters it otherwise. He will quite happily settle anywhere else in the room and so far he hasn't chewed anything he shouldn't, but I think we have just been lucky there
Today I had to go out for half an hour and I closed the door on the crate, he barked for 20mins.
When I return to work I will probably leave the dogs in the kitchen for a couple of hours and I am thinking it might be a better idea to train him to settle there.
He is quite happy to be left in a room by himself for a while (we are up to about 10 mins now, he's only 10wks) just not the crate.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2007, 11:40 AM
One of my pups hated his crate, it took ages to get him to settle in it and whilst he ultimately did, he was out of it as soon as he had lost his last tooth as he wasn't a chewer anyway.
Go with what you feel is best...but remember at 10 weeks he won't have started teething yet!!!!
pam2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-07-2007, 02:32 PM
Thanks Ramble, my main concern is the crate seems to be stressing him out, he can't get out quick enough and he wets in it (with the door open).
I don't think it is working.
I left him today with Ben in the kitchen for 20mins while I tidied up and he was fine.(I felt a bit sorry for Ben who usually has the run of the house!)
I've dismantled the crate and kitchen it is! Hopefully he will be used to chewing on his kong and toys and leave my kitchen alone when he is left, I live in hope
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2007, 09:26 PM
Hi Pam
I think you're right not pursuing the crate if he is that unhappy in it...but be aware he hasn't started teething yet.

Only give him his stuffed kong (try freezing chappie in it) when you go out of the house (not at bed time) and he'll soon be desperate for you to leave.

My only word of caution is to watch him with your older dog. Puppies are puppies and don't know all their boundaries and you just need to be careful that your older dog won't snap when you are out. I never leave mine unsupervised with a pup until the pup is old enough and big enough to stand up for himself and knows his boundaries properly!

Good luck!