Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2004, 05:53 PM

Puppy Nipping - usual problem

So how do you stop it? My hands look like I regularly root through hawthorn hedges!!! There is no malice in Loki at all but he loves to play bite and we've tried to teach him bite inhibition - and it's worked to some extent - but sometimes he gets over zealous. Yesterday he ripped a hole in my jeans!!!

The books all say shout ouch and make a fist, shout ouch and walk away, turn your back etc. I shout ouch when he goes too far and he gets excited. It's hard to walk away when I'm sitting on the sofa innocently watching tv and he launches himself at me - why should I be the one to turn my back and walk away? I was there first. Walking away does sometimes work but that's how my jeans got ripped yesterday.

Oh yeah, and I regularly get humped too!!!
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2004, 06:49 PM
i found that yelling 'owch' got Indie more excited and she bit me more
I find instead of walking away, putting them on a time out in the hallway or wherever for literally 5 minutes works well. If i bring her back in and she continues the unwanted behaviour she goes out again for 5 minutes. It usually calms them down and they start getting the idea that play time is over if they bite.

It all i use now ive found walking away or turning my back didnt work quite as well It takes em a while to learn not to bite,and sure does hurt with their baby teeth but they do learn eventually jus keep it up
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2004, 06:52 PM
Ah excluding - I agree that works really well, but Loki is so used to that tactic he now refuses to go when I stomp off towards the kitchen. Honestly the whole evening consists rounds of
nip-ouch-nip-OUCH OFF-NIP-right, out!
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2004, 06:56 PM
i have to drag indie into the hallway she looks so sad when i shut the door on her, bless her!

i kno how u feel tho! pain in the bum! u cud try gettin her in a routine of when playtime is. Like set aside maybe 30 mins a day where u play together, and put a cue to it, like Ready and Enough. So u can teach her to play when u decide and not her? not sure. But i have found putting them out of the room works well, as i was always gettin fedup of me havin to leave the room! She feels more excluded when i put her out, cos she knows all the fun is in our room!
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-12-2004, 07:19 PM
We used to have to put Star in the hall for a few minutes to calm down.
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2004, 07:24 PM
i dont know what to say really as we tried lots of things with max as he was a horror for biting and bit harder if we squealed. he just gradually stopped. i remember stopping playing and walking away or saying no biting in a fairly firm voice but it never seemed to work but eventually it did
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2004, 09:04 PM
Just a case of keeping it up then. We have puppy training in January ... I was in our local pet store this evening and there were two other puppies, one only a week older than Loki, and they were both so well behaved. Loki was haring around leaping on people and trying to intice the other puppies into boisterous games. I did laugh afterwards.
afc101
Dogsey Senior
Male 

14-12-2004, 11:36 AM
When Lola was getting a bit carried away we always told her in a firm voice No! if she didn't listen we would then take her out of the room, which i hated as she looks at you with such a sad face. After a couple of weeks she's a lot better and usally listens and stops if we say No!
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2004, 01:31 PM
I tryed the ouch or yelped when Kira started to play bite it worked somtimes but when the kids were doing it ,it made her even more playfull (I guess the noises the kids made were more funny)
Now I say NO in a firm voice and that works better ,if I'm sitting down and she trys to play bite I say No and give her a little push away and she usually stops
She is quite good now and knows not to play bite people but now and again still trys,but if she wouldnt stop before I would put her out of the room for about 5 mins ,I've only had to do that a few times

She still loves play biting but usually on Benji my other dog ,when they start that I usually send them out to the garden before they knock everything over in the house
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2005, 12:19 AM
Had to reply to this one guys...lol...Now on my second Northern Inuit Pup, I know exactly what you mean...When we first had Keena all I wanted to do was to give her hugs and have her cuddle up to us but ohhhhhh nooooo we couldn't get near her for a long time because of those little puppy teeth...We tried all the advise that is usually given and just hung on in there when she got old enough to know right from wrong she just stopped doing it. I found that not long after she got her big girl teeth she stopped play bitting us but then she turned more to toys and bones and anything else she could try to distruct! Now she is a good girl and very gentle with her mouth and if she gets us now it is an accident...Takoda on the other hand, oh my god he is like a snapping turtle right now, again just like Keena can't get close to him when he is wound up, it is more like owning a baby croc than a puppy dog!...He does it at Keena also who inturn just holds her mouth open wide to show him her fangs, so while she looks like a walruss he just snaps so quickly with his mouth you can hear the sound of his teeth and jaws clamping together 'snap' 'snap' 'snap'!...I am staying calm about it all as I know that when he is a few months older he will stop like Keena did.

Don't worry they do grow out of it and I think it happens when they finally get concious of what they are doing.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >