Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kalasin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-05-2010, 10:07 AM

Getting Tree Sap Out Of Fur?

Kiba has gotten tree sap stuck in his fur right underneath his eye. I've tried everything I can think of to get it out...wet wipes, towelling, water, soapy water, brushing. But it just wont budge!

Hoping someone here has a good method of removing it before I end up cutting it out we're off to a show next weekend and I'd rather he didn't have a bald patch!

Thanks for any suggestions!
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-05-2010, 10:09 AM
Try softening it with cooking oil.
Windhound
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-05-2010, 10:24 AM
How close to his eye is it?With really bad things on the coat,like axle grease you can use either undiluted Fairy Liquid rubbed in or Swarfega making sure that you protect his eye,put Vaseline all round the eye. Then when finished wash thoroughly with tepid water,diluted shampoo and a flannel,then many washes (rinses) with only water. Hope this helps.
Kalasin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-05-2010, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by Windhound View Post
How close to his eye is it?With really bad things on the coat,like axle grease you can use either undiluted Fairy Liquid rubbed in or Swarfega making sure that you protect his eye,put Vaseline all round the eye. Then when finished wash thoroughly with tepid water,diluted shampoo and a flannel,then many washes (rinses) with only water. Hope this helps.
It's less than 1cm below his eye. Is this still applicable?
Windhound
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-05-2010, 12:18 PM
Ok so you have to be really careful,put some of whatever you are going to use on a Q tip and stroke across sap, then massage in with a dry Q tip. Clean off with dry flannel and then wash off with clean tepid water,many times. Probably you will have to repeat. Sometimes you can very carefully use a plastic flea comb to comb through hair;do not use a metal one.Let us know how you get on.
Kalasin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by Windhound View Post
Ok so you have to be really careful,put some of whatever you are going to use on a Q tip and stroke across sap, then massage in with a dry Q tip. Clean off with dry flannel and then wash off with clean tepid water,many times. Probably you will have to repeat. Sometimes you can very carefully use a plastic flea comb to comb through hair;do not use a metal one.Let us know how you get on.
Will try this with the fairy liquid later, don't have that other thing you mentioned. Any idea where I would be able to get hold of that?

Will also try the oil.

Thank you both for your ideas. Will let you know how it goes!
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2010, 01:33 PM
I know this sounds strange but peanut butter(crunchy) is superb at getting out chewing gum....I think it is to do with the oils in it...

You could try the same with the tree sap? Rub some into the area and then wipe down the hair shaft with a damp cloth. With chewing gum the peanut butter just wipes it out.

Good luck!
Kalasin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Okay...tried oil. A very tiny bit came out, but I think the rest was too dried to come out.

Then decided to try alcohol gel on the end of cotton wool wiped very carefully over the area then rinsed thoroughly with water.

Looking a lot better, but may have to give it another go later on as Kiba was starting to get a little annoyed and tossing his head. Didn't want to risk getting anything in his eye.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-05-2010, 02:31 PM
Give the oil time. It is completely non toxic. It won't hurt if the dog licks is off. I wouldn't trust anything else except the peanut butter close to the eye.
Kalasin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
Give the oil time. It is completely non toxic. It won't hurt if the dog licks is off. I wouldn't trust anything else except the peanut butter close to the eye.

Ahhh so I need to leave it to soak? Didn't realise that...duh. will try it again! It's sunflower oil I used...is that okay or is olive oil better?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >