Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2007, 07:10 AM

very weak bladder?

I understand Willow is only 10 weeks old, but she has an extremely weak bladder, is this normal for a young pup?

On a night when I get in from work, I put her out for a tiddle, which she will normally do outside, but then in the space of about half an hour she can do another 4 or 5 tiddles??

She can go through the night though and only do 1, sometimes none!

Just wondered if theres anything I should be worrying about.

Thanks

Anna xxx
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2007, 07:14 AM
not all pups empty themselves in one go.

How long is she on her own for?
How long do you stay with her outside when you get home?

not trick questions, just trying to get a clearer picture

actually having reread wha tyou have written - you have your answer in your own email. If she had a weak bladder, she wouldnt be so controlled at night

best to look at your own management - give her more time outside maybe?
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2007, 07:23 AM
she is outside for 10 minutes or so, but their not left very long on there own, my partner works from home most of the time, and when he is away mu mum has them at her house! I will try keeping her outside for longer
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2007, 07:34 AM
but YOU need to be out there with her! Puppies left to their own devices will always be distracted (especially if with another dog).
Take her out on her own and teach her a cue word, so that you can stimulate her to empty herself one or more times.
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2007, 07:55 AM
sorry i misunderstood...i thought you meant how long are they left in the house on there own! She is never outside on her own!! im always there with her
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2007, 02:38 PM
I taught Mya to "pee on command", and it's the best thing I ever did! She was a kennel dog, so just peed whenever the need arose. I taught her the phrase "do a wee for me", and she rarely fails to comply. Even when the tank's empty, she still squats, bless.
Just say the phrase you want her to work to when she wees, and she'll link the phrase and the act in no time . Puppies usually learn even faster than grown dogs, so it "should" be easy
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2007, 02:58 PM
thanks Vicki! I do always say 'come on tiddly too's' hehe...she really doesnt listen though, she hasnt even learnt her name yet... I think I am comparing her to Flower (collie)!!! xxx
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2007, 03:10 PM
Just persist - she'll soon get the message
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2007, 03:14 PM
hehe thank you... She is sucha bossy monkey thoug, she thinks she rules the house... xx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-10-2007, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by annajennison View Post
I understand Willow is only 10 weeks old, but she has an extremely weak bladder, is this normal for a young pup?

On a night when I get in from work, I put her out for a tiddle, which she will normally do outside, but then in the space of about half an hour she can do another 4 or 5 tiddles??

She can go through the night though and only do 1, sometimes none!

Just wondered if theres anything I should be worrying about.

Thanks

Anna xxx
Hi Anna puppies do vary a lot but yes it is normal to do lots of pees .She may want to go more when you arrive home because she is excited.

It is best to stay with Willow rather than put her outside alone so you can praise her when she pees and use your chosen word so she learns to go on command you can also keep an eye open to make sure she doesn't eat anything she shouldn't..(Millie eats anything given the chance and even pulls worms out of the ground )

Regarding the night, as with humans when puppies are sleeping some of the bodily functions change/slow down and they don't need to relieve themselves so frequently .

(If Willow suddenly starts to pee lots more check the urine for a fishy smell which can indicate a urinary tract infection, not the case here I would say because she would want to go a lot in the night too) .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >