View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2008, 11:10 PM

And they wonder why people don't use public transport!

I've been looking into going to the British International Motor Show at the end of the month as both me and my Dad are into cars. Anyway, looking into going by train from Darlington to Kings Cross on a Friday and the price? Wait for it.......£238 each return?!!!!!

I mean, why would anyone bother??

It's any wonder people use their cars to get about, even with petrol the way it is it wouldn't cost me that much to get down to London and back!!!
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2008, 07:32 AM
Crikey - that IS a lot
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-07-2008, 07:38 AM
I keep saying this until they make public transport more affordable, reliable and cleaner they are not going to get people using it how they want.
That is day light robbery.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2008, 08:29 AM
That is shocking!
I mean the train is going there whether you are on it or not!
That's well over twice what it cost us to go to Poland.... including taxes, priority boarding, baggage and travel insurance!
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2008, 09:02 AM
Shocking to say the least.My oh found the same when he was heading down to Birmingham on business.Ended up travelling down in his 4x4 with his business partner,saved a packet,xxxxxxxxx
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-07-2008, 09:05 AM
Aways said that, coach fairs are high to. Have you tried going from another local station as that can make a big difference.
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2008, 10:35 AM
i was looking into train fares yesterday to go to Wiltshire and it was £220 return
could not believe the price

my friend does not want to drive as we will coming back really late at night (going to a concert)

so i think it will be cheaper for us to drive down, get a hotel overnight and drive back the next day
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2008, 10:38 AM
Just a thought, but have you looked at getting 2 singles? Gone are the days when the return fair is cheaper than a single each way - don't ask me why, but that's the way it is.

Cheap fairs can be obtained - I quite often get to London for £60 return first class from Edinburgh. You do have to pick your journey times carefully though - Fridays are always more expensive, as is the beginning/end of the day.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2008, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Just a thought, but have you looked at getting 2 singles? Gone are the days when the return fair is cheaper than a single each way - don't ask me why, but that's the way it is.

Cheap fairs can be obtained - I quite often get to London for £60 return first class from Edinburgh. You do have to pick your journey times carefully though - Fridays are always more expensive, as is the beginning/end of the day.
Good point actually. Last time I went up to London I looked online and then spoke to someone on the phone who managed to jiggle the times slightly etc and saved us loads.
I can remember a feature about this on tv once.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2008, 11:50 AM
Bloody hell where are you looking woman? I think it's expensive when I can't get to Glasgow and back for under £45!

Might be worth getting a railcard of some kind.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >