Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2005, 07:15 PM

licking - constantly! help...

Ok... Dudley has a vice.
He is licking himself, constantly - i mean about 70% of his waking life is spent licking his 'bits' and his bum... and his tummy... it's not grooming, it's just continual licking, and he can't be deterred - and I'm worried about his tummy, as he was sick the other day (again) and this time it was a solid ball of hair stuff... though i'm pleased to say he hasn't been sick sine. however - I really would like to know what could be causing this licking and what can I do for him?

xx
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-10-2005, 11:58 PM
Licking can be stress related. Can you observe him from a point where he cannot see you and watch to see if he licks when you, or anyone else, is not there?

I would first get a thorough vet check to make certain that there is no skin problem or other reason that he is licking these areas, such as over-full anal glands. I would also look at his diet - does his food contain artificial colourings, flavourings, or preservatives, all of which can cause skin irritation? Lack of essential fatty acids can also affect the skin.

If there is no medical or dietary cause then it is probably a comforting activity to relieve stress. In that case the cause of the stress needs to be identified and managed by removal or conditioning.

Until cause is known & treatment/management is under way try to distract him from licking.
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2005, 12:09 AM
Thank you - i will do all the above.

keep you posted.

xx
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-10-2005, 12:28 AM
If it is stress then Rescue Remedy and/or a DAP diffuser may help, but if it has become a habit you will also need to distract to help break it.

I don't suppose you know if he licked before you got him, but has he done it all the time since you've had him, or is it a fairly recent thing?

Yes, please keep us posted
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2005, 07:10 AM
Hi Laura, that's great advice that SB has given you. Fingers crossed for Duds - keep us posted xx
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2005, 11:01 AM
I would say he's done it ever since we've gotten him

I will look at the DAP diffuser thread and ask about diet again

xx