Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lil_things
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-05-2009, 09:19 AM

Spite or genuine need?

This is my first post so hi everyone!

Me and my OH have owned a Miniature Pinscher now for 8 months (we rescued her from a lady who wanted to travel so decided it would be best to give her away..) She settled in extremely well, our current dog who we already had has taken to her very well and they are inseperable. Recently she has been displaying some unwanted behaviour and i am confused as to why she is doing it. The behaviour is question is pooing and weeing when she cant get her own way (or so it appears to be) example one - my OH woke up late in the night to use the bathroom, she asked to go out and my OH said no (due to it being 4am and didnt want her barking) so she came in, climbed into her own bed, looked at me, wee'd in it, climbed out and slept on the floor.. Example 2: My OH told her to get off of our bed and she wee'd on his jeans which were on the floor.. and just this morning i let her up for a cuddle just before i got up, so five minutes before i needed to be up i asked her to get down and go into her own bed which she did reluctantly - i shut my eyes for two seconds only to be awoken by her pooing all over the bedroom floor.. (not the best wake up call) She always goes to the loo before they go to bed at night and they are never fed late so i cant see that upsetting her toilet pattern. Our other dog is very anti dirtying the house, he will tie knots in it and hang in there until he can get out (which he never has to do as the other half is always home) so he is becoming upset by her behaviour (making me feel guilty) Do you think it is possible she is doing these things to be spiteful? (she is doing it after we have told her no, or get down)

(Sorry that has turned into quite a big post!)
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2009, 09:28 AM
Just take your dog out as soon as you wake up. As soon as mine hear me up they are ready to go out.
I get up go for a wee and then get dressed and out the door. I don't have a cup of tea or anything to eat. I don't let mine go in the garden as I have children.

As soon as they hear me they are ready and I am sure if I went back to bed they might wee or poo on the floor as well. Having dogs I get up every day at 6am I have to its one of the thing that comes with owing dogs they come first.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2009, 09:34 AM
If the first time she asked to be let out in the night and you refused, then its really owner fault she did the loo in the house,

most of the rest seems to centre round her bieng on your bed, so If she were mine I wouldnt have her on the bed,
dogs dont do things to be spiteful, they just dont think like that,
poss she is worried when your telling her to get off? again just dont invite her up on the bed.
lil_things
Dogsey Junior
Female 

I am up at half 7 and she is out by 33 minutes past. We have never experienced this with her in the beginning (if it was what she was used to doing in her previous home i could understand why she was doing it) Im just confused as to why she has suddenly started to do these things.
lilyput
Dogsey Senior
Female 

Originally Posted by lotsforus View Post
Just take your dog out as soon as you wake up. As soon as mine hear me up they are ready to go out.
I get up go for a wee and then get dressed and out the door. I don't have a cup of tea or anything to eat. I don't let mine go in the garden as I have children.

As soon as they hear me they are ready and I am sure if I went back to bed they might wee or poo on the floor as well. Having dogs I get up every day at 6am I have to its one of the thing that comes with owing dogs they come first.
Absolutely agree. You cannot expect a dog (especially a young one) to wait for you. It isn't right to deem a time like 4am unsuitable to be let out because it doesn't suit you.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2009, 09:37 AM
Hi, welcome to Dogsey!

Firstly, 'spite' is a human emotion that I don't think dogs really have. They generally don't do things to annoy us in spite - they don't really have that capacity (although sometime's I'm not sure!)

My take on dogs waking up and needing the loo etc is - I often don't need the loo overnight, but if I am woken up by noise/a car alarm etc, I will almost instantly need the loo, because I am awake.

I always think it's the same with dogs...it doesn't matter what time I go downstairs, the dogs are ready to go for a wee, whether it's the middle of the night or 6am.

In your case, I would possibly get her vet-checked, because UTI's etc can sometimes cause extra/frequent urination.

If she gets a clean bill of health, I would take a step backwards with regards to toilet training. Make sure you let her out at regular intervals, and if you need to let her out at night, and you are worried she'll bark, then you or your OH need to get your coat on and take her out on a lead.

I would suspect that if she is indicating she needs the toilet, she probably really needs it, especially in the middle of the night! One of my dogs can't lie down properly if he has a full bladder - he just fidgets and gets up and down until he can go to the loo!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2009, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by lil_things View Post
I am up at half 7 and she is out by 33 minutes past. We have never experienced this with her in the beginning (if it was what she was used to doing in her previous home i could understand why she was doing it) Im just confused as to why she has suddenly started to do these things.

has she been speyed, if not she could be getting ready to come into season
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2009, 09:39 AM
Dogs don't do spite, that's a human thing so no she is not doing what she is doing just to spite you.
If this is a relatively sudden change in her behaviour then I would recommend getting her checked by a vet to ensure she isn't suffering from a medical condition.
However, if any of my dogs ask to go out in the middle of the night then I let them. Think to yourself how you would feel if you got to the stage where you need to go only to be told no you can't. It isn't fair on a dog to have to hold on simply because it is 4am. I have forgotten the number of times I've had to take various ones of mine out over the years. In the main they are brilliant and don't need to go but if they do I don't deprive them. It can cause problems for them if they are forced to hold on.
Always ensure that she is let out first thing in the morning and last thing before you go to bed to minimise any need of hers to go.
Inappropriate toiletting can also be a stress related issue so the fact that she wee's or poo's when you have told her off is telling. Remember that going to the toilet is something we all have to do and how stressful it is if you are told off for doing it or asking to go to the toilet.
Becky
lil_things
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-05-2009, 09:42 AM
Hi Shona, She has just literally come into season (yesterday) We have had her 8 months now, so it could all be tied in with her starting her season.

Isochick - thank you for your reply!
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2009, 09:47 AM
If I hear mine (have nine of them) on the move during the night, very late, early morning.............whenever, I get up, dressing gown on and take them into the garden (whoever is being a little pest). I stand out there with them (yes even in the pouring rain if necessary) to make sure they don't get spooked and bark in the middle of the night or any other unsociable hour. I have a big thick velour dressing gown with a hood particularly for this purpose.

I am afraid that when a puppy/dog needs to "go" it needs to go and I think to make it wait any longer than absolutely necessary, is not fair.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >