Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2008, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by Lunakitty321 View Post
I have never had a male dog before, and I am just curious as to what would happen if the dog was doing this to another dog?

a friend's parents had a little dog (male) they they had planned on using for studding, and he was humping their more submissive larger dog (male)...and the larger dog just ignored it and let it happen....a year later he was still doing it, and as often as 2 or 3 times a day...and often finishing up on him. They didn't want to do anything about it because the woman advising them told them not to punish the behavior. But this just doesn't seem "right" to me. Maybe it is?

I think there is a big difference inbetween ignoring it and letting the dog continue and ignoring it and walking away so the dog can't do it....which is what is being recommended.

If she tells the dog off it could turn it into a bigger issue, he may well also try to do it with quiet, smaller, weaker (in his eyes) people. If he is ignored and the person being hummped stands up and walks away so the dog slides/falls off and is left alone the rewards of a) humping and b) human company are imediately removed. He only gets these backs when he is not humping. Any humping consistently results in all rewards being removed.
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-11-2008, 12:24 AM
my female will hump the other two ,just to say ,hi..its normal and my other two except it,nature of the pack,the other sign is when a dog puts there front leg up on the other dogs back,dominate dogs want to be higher than subs,even if they are shorter,bitting the neck is also a sign...phil
Doofuz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-11-2008, 06:37 AM
Wembley is doing this now, we just ignore it and distract him with a toy that can't be humped

We don't pay him any attention in the way of shouting or laughing, otherwise, like a child, he will think that it is okay to do it and carry on. My FIL thought it was hilarious and Wembley went up to him and and licked him and went straight back to 'Kill Bill' and carried on giving him a good time because he had the attention
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2