Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Oz & Molli B
New Member!
Female 

10-11-2008, 05:58 PM

Seperation issues with a deaf boxer pup

Hi there.
I currently have a male boxer who is 2.5 yrs, Ozzi and after much thought we decided to get another boxer as a friend for him. We chose a white female and brought her home on Friday.
Noticed straight away she was alot quieter than Oz was and didnt respond to noise and needed to be next to a human at all times.
We crated Molli that night and thats when the trouble started, I have never heard a pup make so much noise crying and throwing herself at the bars. This went on all night. Over the weekend I looked on the net for tips and came across quite a few people with the same problems and their dogs are deaf. Did some simple tests with keys and a pan and spoon and yep she is deaf.
I need to be able to leave her to go to work and I dont know what to do, her barking, banging the crate and pooing is really bad and upsets Oz and he starts barking.
She goes in and out of the crate during for meals ets and is fine with it so long as she can see a human.
Can any one suggest anything to overcome this problem.

My neighbours must hate me!

Sorry for the long post but thought as much info as poss is best
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2008, 06:24 PM
Personally I would get a behaviourist out to see you and the puppy. We could offer advice here on line, but i think it tends to be more of a case of trial and error and sometimes more harm than good can be done while trying a range of different things.

Please make sure you use a behaviourist that uses only positive methods as you don't want one you is going to advise you to squirt water at the dog etc.

Have a look at www.apdt.co.uk or www.apbc.org.uk and you will be able to find one in your area. It may not be cheap but it will be worth it in the long run.

I think it is usual for deaf dogs to have difficulties coping with frustration for a range of reasons so expert advise is what i would suggest.
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-11-2008, 06:32 PM
i got a rescue dogo sometime ago and we had simular experience..time is what did it for us,and some say it might not change we were lucky,mine are high strung,and some dogs never think you are comming back,that why there the first to greet you at the dog when you get home!!!repition help my dogs ,i would leave the house and wait 10 min before comming back,i did this often and it worked but it took months!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Some peops along the road from me took on a deaf old english pup that would have been pts, and she was an absolute nightmare to start off with! Luckily for her, they are avid dogloving, knowledgeable peops and they peservered and persevered and then persevered again, and now she is the most wonderful dog they've ever had! You couldn't even walk this dog down the road without her lunging about in the air, almost as if she'd never been OUT in her life before, and to cross a road was horrendous for her, I watched it once!

Not only have you got the normal puppy stuff, but on top of that, you've got the fact that she's deaf and has a little world of her own in there too! She can't even hear your Oz trying to talk to her can she so that he can reassure her perhaps. This must be a nightmare, but I can't think of any suggestions. I don't like what she does in that crate, maybe you could "pad" it inside somehow so that she doesn't hurt herself? Maybe do a lot of "nice" stuff in there so she gets to love it and treats it as her little sanctuary? If she's such a young puppy I can't understand how she is so clingy to a human quite honestly at this young age? Where has she learned that then I wonder? She should really be looking to Oz for some help and reassurance rather than the human don't you think? I'll have a ponder on this one and get back to you if I come up with any brighter ideas, coz I haven't been much help here have I! Keep up the good work though, do everything and more that you can to house train her properly so that she doesn't end up getting on your nerves completely with that, and then you can concentrate more on the stuff she needs to sort out more, i.e. this clinginess. I like that idea of leaving her for the 10 mins. and make it longer and longer each time, even if it just means you going into another room? Oh the poor little thing, it must be quite terrifying for them being deaf like this, I know, coz I've seen it with this Old English. All the very best, I feel for you.
Oz & Molli B
New Member!
Female 

10-11-2008, 07:08 PM
Thanks for responding.
I went out and bought a playpen which is a safer option for Molli and also Ozzi can pop his head in (when he isnt sleeping)
I went onto the APT website and found a local trainer who suggested I contact Barry Eaton, ive sent an email to him in the hope he can help.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2008, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by Oz & Molli B View Post
Thanks for responding.
I went out and bought a playpen which is a safer option for Molli and also Ozzi can pop his head in (when he isnt sleeping)
I went onto the APT website and found a local trainer who suggested I contact Barry Eaton, ive sent an email to him in the hope he can help.
Ok - if only you were in Hampshire I would have passed you on to the man i work for. He is great, has a deaf dog, and is very experienced.

Glad that things are on the move.
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2008, 08:41 PM
Hi, you could also try having a chat with Sheila Dawson of the White Boxer Rescue, she has untold experience in dealing with deaf dogs and may be able to offer some support right now.

Sheila Dawson tel 01772 690458
Oz & Molli B
New Member!
Female 

10-11-2008, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the name and number, ive left a message and hope that they maybe anle to offer some advice.
Any advice is welcome as we want to ensure Molli feels safe and secure.
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2008, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by Oz & Molli B View Post
Thanks for the name and number, ive left a message and hope that they maybe anle to offer some advice.
Any advice is welcome as we want to ensure Molli feels safe and secure.
You are welcome, might take Sheila a few days to get back to you as she is really busy...........she has had loads of experience with deaf boxers, I'm sure she can help you with a solution.