View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 05:57 PM
Well, Milo has just had his second lot of x-rays and they are inconclusive! The tumour hasn't spread as aggressively as my vet thought it would which is obviously good news but unfortunately he will now have to have a bone biopsy to find out exactly what he does have.

I must admit I had mentally prepared myself for him to now be booked in for amputation so I can't help feeling rather elated that he isn't but it does mean being patient for a bit longer, which isn't easy when our dogs are concerned!

He is booked in for next Tuesday so I will let you all know how that goes but it can take up to ten days for the result to come.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 08:26 PM
Poor Milo and poor you! Of course it's good news, but more tests and not knowing much be hard. Fingers crossed here for more positive results next time
Mazza
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-08-2011, 09:17 PM
Hope all goes well for your boy Thinking of you at this worrying time x
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 06:43 AM
If it's any help - I have an amputee cat (not from cancer but the result of a dog attack - we think - when she was living semi-feral raking around as a barn cat) and she gets about just fine and fancy with three legs. The only thing she struggles with is "up jumping" onto things (she lost a back leg), and she can put an Oscar-award winning limp on if she wants some fuss and sympathy from gullible people (my mother in law mainly). There's no quality of life issue whatsoever from her - obviously I worry endlessly that she might hurt another leg - but she's cracked on with three legs for pushing a decade now and can still bolt for the kitchen when the cat food cupboard door's opened with the best of 'em.

http://minnesotagreyhounds.wordpress...eg-amputation/ might help a bit with what to expect if you DO go down that route in terms of what things will look like afterwards and recovery times - found it when someone else was looking for info fairly recently.

Also know of a three legged collie around here who chases his ball like you'd never know something was missing.
GirondeDeb
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-08-2011, 06:53 AM
I'm so pleased things are 'less worse' than we thought. Here's hoping they get less and less worse.

How's Milo feeling?
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 07:02 AM
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
If it's any help - I have an amputee cat (not from cancer but the result of a dog attack - we think - when she was living semi-feral raking around as a barn cat) and she gets about just fine and fancy with three legs. The only thing she struggles with is "up jumping" onto things (she lost a back leg), and she can put an Oscar-award winning limp on if she wants some fuss and sympathy from gullible people (my mother in law mainly). There's no quality of life issue whatsoever from her - obviously I worry endlessly that she might hurt another leg - but she's cracked on with three legs for pushing a decade now and can still bolt for the kitchen when the cat food cupboard door's opened with the best of 'em.

http://minnesotagreyhounds.wordpress...eg-amputation/ might help a bit with what to expect if you DO go down that route in terms of what things will look like afterwards and recovery times - found it when someone else was looking for info fairly recently.

Also know of a three legged collie around here who chases his ball like you'd never know something was missing.
Thank you for that link - I'll read it when I get home from work. I'm hoping he may not need an amputation now but it may just be false hope - I'm on a real rollercoaster of emotions at the moment!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 07:44 AM
Oh Pam, I bet you are emotionally exhausted! I am really pleased that the results are slightly more positive than you were expecting, and fingers crossed for the bone biopsy. Will be thinking of you and your lovely boy.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Oh Pam, I bet you are emotionally exhausted! I am really pleased that the results are slightly more positive than you were expecting, and fingers crossed for the bone biopsy. Will be thinking of you and your lovely boy.
I am Kirsty! All my waking thoughts are of Milo and what will happen! I almost forgot my son's birthday, I'm so preoccupied, although he is 25 and understands I'm not thinking straight! Thank you for your support.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 03:35 PM
That's a really interesting link, dizzi, thank you. Apart from the fact that Milo isn't a greyhound (although I'm sure he has some sort of lurcher in him) it is very relevant and, in fact, some of it is exactly what my vet said. I am very lucky in that he is an orthopaedic vet anyway and I have complete faith in him.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-08-2011, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
That's a really interesting link, dizzi, thank you. Apart from the fact that Milo isn't a greyhound (although I'm sure he has some sort of lurcher in him) it is very relevant and, in fact, some of it is exactly what my vet said. I am very lucky in that he is an orthopaedic vet anyway and I have complete faith in him.
The six most important words that can be said about a Vet.

Thinking of Milo and keeping everything crossed for him.

Malka
Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »