Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2006, 07:47 PM

Connection help please.

My son is driving me mad - we had a bad thunderstorm a bit ago and he has now lost his wireless computer connection The wireless icon at the bottom of the screen is showing that its connected but we can't get the internet or any sites to come up, it just keeps saying This page cannot be displayed. My computer that is not wireless is now saying the same thing - the Orange homepage (that used to be wanadoo) won't come up at all but I can still access other sites on the net like Dogweb.

Has anyone any ideas what we could try to get it back on the internet before he drives me totally insane

Can the wireless network go down temporarily during thunderstorms and take some time to come back on again?
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2006, 07:57 PM
This is really weird because the only site I can get on is DOGWEB nothing else will come up no matter what other sites in my favourites I try - the BBC boards or anything else - they all say the page cannot be displayed.

Oh well at least I have dogweb - so I'm happy
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

02-07-2006, 08:09 PM
sounds liek a dns error or somethign wrong with orange.
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

02-07-2006, 08:14 PM
although orange says theres no errors.lol

did you have lightning ?

and have you tired trurning everythign off inc modems and leaving for a mintue then turning back on ?
Tom
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-07-2006, 09:10 PM
oooh the storms here have been so bad - none of the street lights are on

T
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2006, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by ceiron
although orange says theres no errors.lol

did you have lightning ?

and have you tired trurning everythign off inc modems and leaving for a mintue then turning back on ?

My internet went off not long after posting I could still get on dogweb (serves me right for bragging ) so I didnt get to see your message. I tried again this morning and it was still off so I had the bright idea of plugging the phone and internet out of the socket and then putting it back in again and the router reset and hey presto it came on again
Keybeagle
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-07-2006, 11:57 AM
wierd!!

Its strange that some websites come up and others done. I suspect the sites you are trying to view that arent loading maybe use Active X or some other type of program which helps the web pages load so you can view them!!!!!

Dont quote me on that though.

I also suspect that it is all working again because you havent posted in a couple of days, however if it isnt here are a few things to try :

If your on Windows XP, go to start, control panel, SECURITY CENTRE. In the security centre on the first page look at the left hand side. Click on get latest security updates from microsoft, install any updates that it says you need after microsoft scan your computer for latest programs. Then come out of microsoft website and back into your security centre and click the link check for latest update from windows update. Again install programs that are relevant.

You may also be infected by spyware/malware. Do you have any protection against these?

Here are a few free programs I use (sorry admins if I cant do this but it will help people who dont have much protection, please delete if not allowed)

Instead of me posting individual program links I will post this link I use. It is for webuser.co.uk and is a great page for getting your pc security upto date and clearing problems from your pc. Link - http://www.webuser.co.uk/forums/show.../page/0#219333

The programs I use from this list are -

AVG Free Edition
Zone Alarm
Ad Aware SE
Spybot Search & Destroy
Spyware Blaster
IE Privacy Keeper

I run each of these programs regulaly to keep my pc as virus free and spyware free as I can.

Like I said admin, please delete if I am not allowed to post links to other websites, but i think this will help alot of people on here

Back to the point of the post - download these programs, try to avoid the free 14 day trial of the programs, just go for the totally free edition. Yes it doesnt have as many feaures but if you are not so knowledgable on pc's they sometimes do too much for security which can make it difficult for novices to access their usual websites.

Run them all and delete any infections.

If you are still having problems after this, I suspect the problem lies deeper within your router/modem settings. Let us know how you get on
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2006, 12:03 PM
Hiya Roper, yes I am back again (can't keep me off Dogweb for long ) I think it was just the router that needed re setting after the storm to be honest because when I pulled the phone and internet filter out of the socket for a few seconds and then put it back again it all came on. Thanks for your help though

I have got the Ad -aware and Spybot and also use Ccleaner, Norton and Ewido anti-malaware which is free for 14 days but its really good and you can still keep the scanner after the 14 days but just not get the updates.
Keybeagle
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-07-2006, 12:25 PM
Im glad you got is sorted. It normally is something as simple as resetting the modem but we cant be too careful.

Happy surfing
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2006, 12:26 PM
Thanks Roper