Male 

01-07-2006, 12:39 PM
updated above ^^^
Keybeagle
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-07-2006, 12:20 PM
Hiya,

Some very strange advice on here so I thought I would try and clear up what I understand has been very confusing for you.

The easiest thing for you to do is buy a wireless router with a built in modem. What this means is, you will not need your speed touch modem. The reason why is because you have a modem built into your router. Technically a router and a modem are 2 different things. The modem connects you to the internet and the router creates a network between the pc's you want to access the internet. In your case, 3 pc's.

If you buy a router with a built in modem then this will eliminate the speed touch modem.

The items you need for your network are as follows :

A wireless router with built in modem. (The one ceiron recommended will be perfect).

Then you need a wireless network card for your laptop/pc, and for your other 2 pc's you need a wireless network USB device each.

You only need one filter.

Plug your filter into your main phone socket, forget about any others in your house. Then into the correct part of the filter plug the modem in, and in the other part plug your sky telephone line in. Finally plug your telephone line into your sky telephone line. (the sky phone line will have a spare socket for your telephone line)

Plug your modem into the power supply, hey presto you are well on your way.

Then follow the installation instructions from the router/modem. I would set the router/modem up using your laptop. The easiest way to do this is plug in your laptop to your modem/router using an ethernet cable (which I think is maybe provided with the modem/router). Once plugged in, follow the installation instructions for the router/modem and dont forget, read them carefully and follow properly.

Once completed, install your network card on your laptop. As soon as it is installed it will check for any available wireless networks. As you have just set up your network using the ethernet cable it will find that network and log into it.

After this has happened, install a USB network device on each of the other 2 pc's. Again once installed it will check for a network and log in to the available one you have set up.

Hey presto, all 3 pc's are using the same network and all should be able to connect wireless to the internet. No cables running through the ceiling, nothing.

I hope this helps in some strange way, I know I have gone on abit but I have tried to explain a few things to help you understand abit better.

If there is any other help I can offer please do not hesitate to ask.

Hope you get it sorted.

Finally, you will want to WEP your network. This mean encrypt it with a WEP password. If you are unsure about this and want some help, just ask. It will stop anyone other than people who know the password accessing your network.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2006, 12:34 PM
Hi Roper, yes I think what was confusing me was we have four computers, my daughters, my sons, my laptop which are all wireless and then my computer downstairs is plugged into the socket so isn't wireless. I have a router and then the two upstairs computers have those usb thingys with a green flashing light and my laptop was already wireless enabled when it was bought so I presume it has one of those cards in. It was my sisters computer (she doesn't live at my address) that I was asking for because she has had connection difficulties and keeps losing her connection so I thought it might be an idea for her to go wireless but wasn't sure whether you could have a wireless router with just one computer Anyway I picked a router out for her which also came with a usb thingy but it wasn't ASDL - and that was the bit that I didn't understand - so it has to be an ASDL router if you want to replace the modem as well? My router is a Belkin ASDL router so it looks like she will have to save up and get one of these if she wants her computer upstairs (she has got it downstairs at the minute and it's working fine)

Thanks again for your help.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3