Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2006, 07:11 AM
Originally Posted by pamngeoff
pm me with your address and i will send you a safe xp cd for free its one from the university of brighton who i work for and we get all our progs for free regards Geoff
Hi, thanks, I have only just read this after trying to purchase online. I have just given all of my credit card details etc. and then it said there were no items in my basket and it wouldn't let me go back said "I was not authorised to do so" I have copied the address that was showing as follows; https://oms.one.microsoft.com/anonym...stomerInfo.asp PLEASE soomeone tell me this is genuine and I've not just given someone all my details??? I daren't try again.

Thanks, Kath.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-05-2006, 08:45 AM
Originally Posted by Meganrose
https://oms.one.microsoft.com/anonym...stomerInfo.asp PLEASE soomeone tell me this is genuine and I've not just given someone all my details??? I daren't try again.

Thanks, Kath.
Don't worry Kath that is the Microsoft site just been there myself as long as you get a valid cd key you'll be able to change the vaild one for the ilegale one with no loose of information.

Since it says you got no items in your basket check that nothing has been charged to your card, if you have got a charge you'll have to contact Microsoft.

What you'll have to do is to trace a XP disk so that if ever you had to reformat your harddrive you can reinstall xp onto your system don't matter if the xp disk doesn't come with a COA cause you have got one the one you bought from Microsoft all you need is the disk you could borrow one but use your COA then your sorted.

If you had used them links that i posted it would of cost you less and saved you money
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2006, 10:10 AM
Thanks Ceiron, pamngeoff and leo again. Will eventually get it sorted. At least I hope that I'm learning something from you all (I obviously need to learn MUCH more yet)

Kath XX
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

31-05-2006, 06:41 PM
If you use the link from the Microsoft and pay for the genuine version, what you get is an 'electronic key', along with a mechanism of changing your illegal licence to the one from the electronic key. The advantage of this is that there is no format and re-install process to do. The dis-advantage is that you don't get an XP disk - if you ever need to install XP again.

If you use Leo's link and buy a legal copy of the XP disk, you get the disk and you get a licence key. In order to use the licence key, you will need to install Windows over itself - and enter the new key when prompted. This normally works OK and nothing is lost. However, there are odd occasions when things go wrong and you could conceivable lose whatever was previously installed on the disk.

The link given previously - Magical Jelly Bean Key finder, should allow you to enter the key without doing the re-install.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-05-2006, 09:03 PM
Thought i better post something which maybe important to some people...

My laptop is set to download updates from Microsoft automatically when needed and yesterday-it received one for authenticating the Windows operating system being used.Im alright cause the Windows XP on here is legitemate,but i know some people on DW have other 'varieties!'.

So,if anyone out there is using pirated software-be very careful with what updates you recieve and install from Microsoft!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2006, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by Steve
Thought i better post something which maybe important to some people...

My laptop is set to download updates from Microsoft automatically when needed and yesterday-it received one for authenticating the Windows operating system being used.Im alright cause the Windows XP on here is legitemate,but i know some people on DW have other 'varieties!'.

So,if anyone out there is using pirated software-be very careful with what updates you recieve and install from Microsoft!

Yes I got something funny like that today - does it say on the Norton to permit it or something Steve - I can't remember what it said but all my desk top items went a different colour for a few seconds. Fortunately mine is legal cos we bought them from PC World and I would be surprised if they would sell counterfeit.
sambo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-06-2006, 10:23 AM
Thanks for that steve but unfortunately mine had been set to recieve updates automatically so obviously thats how i got mine

Come on then ceiron are you going to share with us how we get rid of the pop ups then pleaseeeee
I truly feel like killing my brother as when he sold this pc to me he didnt tell me that it was a copied disc and isnt prepared to help out either and although my other brother has offered to give me a new pc it could take a while as none of my family are in the habit of rushings things when it comes to helping out.
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2006, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by royv
If you use the link from the Microsoft and pay for the genuine version, what you get is an 'electronic key', along with a mechanism of changing your illegal licence to the one from the electronic key. The advantage of this is that there is no format and re-install process to do. The dis-advantage is that you don't get an XP disk - if you ever need to install XP again.

If you use Leo's link and buy a legal copy of the XP disk, you get the disk and you get a licence key. In order to use the licence key, you will need to install Windows over itself - and enter the new key when prompted. This normally works OK and nothing is lost. However, there are odd occasions when things go wrong and you could conceivable lose whatever was previously installed on the disk.

The link given previously - Magical Jelly Bean Key finder, should allow you to enter the key without doing the re-install.
Thanks again royv.....very good and clear idiot proof (I hope ) instructions. :smt023
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-06-2006, 06:11 PM
this is a good key finder and changer

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownloa...oad-17673.html

and more
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-06-2006, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by sambo
Come on then ceiron are you going to share with us how we get rid of the pop ups then pleaseeeee
Try System Restore and take your system back to before the pop-ups started and then turn off automatic updates. Next time it asks if you want to install the WGA notification tool, say No!
Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >