View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2006, 12:33 PM
Hi all, I'm terrified now. I've checked my receipt it doesn't (surprise, surprise) mention anything about windows or microsoft. he did leave me a little pack with various cd's and floppy disks in... but none of what I want. By contrast my earlier version that I still have supplied by Tiny I have the cd's and a manual for getting started on Windows 98 which has a product code on the front of it. It would be really difficult for me to 'shop him in though' as I've said he's a friend of a friend and this friend's husband works with mine. I will just buy the link of Microsoft if everyone thinks it's genuine...I'm just frightened that I may not be able to do whatever I've got to do properly....and obviously p****d off that after paying £800 nearly a year ago to get all this trouble now. I don't have another computer (as I gave my old one away when I got this one) or access to one out here in the sticks...not even a library to go to and so if I mess it up I may not be able to get back online to ask you guys.

Anyway I appreciate all of your help as ask me just about anything about an animal/person/care and I'm there, but, computers and other gadgets

Thanks guys,

Kath XX
sambo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-05-2006, 09:44 PM
I am so glad somebody has brought this subject up as i have the same problem numerous pop ups and i have been told to sod off basically by the tech guys forum as they say its my fault i have not got a genuine microsoft windows disc the reason being is my brother built my computer for me and he ran off some copies not realising there would be a problem.

I have asked my other brother who used to work for intel and he said not to worry but the pop ups are doing my head in so he has kindly offered to give me a new pc he did say he had to purchase a new windows disc for 90 quid as he has websites etc to run and that is his sole income so needed to.

According to my brother windows are getting really fed up with people copying there original discs and are really clamping down.
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

30-05-2006, 09:48 PM
erm u could jsut follow the link in the popup and apy for a geuine copy fo windows, beleive its about 70 quid.

or theres a way of gettign rid of the pop ups **looks innocent**
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2006, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by sambo
I am so glad somebody has brought this subject up as i have the same problem numerous pop ups and i have been told to sod off basically by the tech guys forum as they say its my fault i have not got a genuine microsoft windows disc the reason being is my brother built my computer for me and he ran off some copies not realising there would be a problem.

I have asked my other brother who used to work for intel and he said not to worry but the pop ups are doing my head in so he has kindly offered to give me a new pc he did say he had to purchase a new windows disc for 90 quid as he has websites etc to run and that is his sole income so needed to.

According to my brother windows are getting really fed up with people copying there original discs and are really clamping down.
Trouble is I'm getting realy fed up with dishonest sales people. I may be a complete computer novice and probably an idiot to boot, which is why I paid hansomely for a copmputer engineer to attend my old one and correct the problems and trusted him when he said that my old one was little more than a "shed" that I had bought from Tiny (with all geniune whatevers windows etc) and told me for my £800 he would build me a super duper one and that it would come preloaded with windows and Xp etc etc all I would have to purchase extra was the antivirus as it only had free versions and skybot? on it then. I duly purchased Norton anti virus and norton system works and webroot spysweeper which I did mange to download through an email. and a 'key' that I had to copy from the manufactures. I duly purchased all of these extra's by now well over £1000 out of pocket and I must say all had been running smoothly until just lately. I honestly had absolutely no idea that the preloaded stuff wasn't genuine (or I think it possibly is as he has a some sort of liscense to use it more than once or something but I guess he must have abused this)? I really don't want to fork out another £92 + but I will do I guess... I'm just terrified that I will do something wrong and loose everything including all my Norton stuff etc. Someone has said to copy things and I'm ashamed to say I'm not even sure how to or which things I need to copy and what about the keys I needed for Norton and spysweeper as even if I do manage to copy and reload them won't the keys be invalid now?? Sorry to go on, everyone must think I'm a complete idiot...and I am where computers are concerned... I think it must be an age thing.. I'm always frightened of doing something wrong as I didn't even know how to switch one on until I got my 1st one about 4 years ago and I've never had any training on one.

Anyway I will attempt to do whatever Microsoft are saying to do maybe tomorrow and so if I disappear offline....it's been nice 'knowing' you all.

Take care and thanks for all of your help. XX
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

30-05-2006, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by Meganrose
Trouble is I'm getting realy fed up with dishonest sales people. I may be a complete computer novice and probably an idiot to boot, which is why I paid hansomely for a copmputer engineer to attend my old one and correct the problems and trusted him when he said that my old one was little more than a "shed" that I had bought from Tiny (with all geniune whatevers windows etc) and told me for my £800 he would build me a super duper one and that it would come preloaded with windows and Xp etc etc all I would have to purchase extra was the antivirus as it only had free versions and skybot? on it then. I duly purchased Norton anti virus and norton system works and webroot spysweeper which I did mange to download through an email. and a 'key' that I had to copy from the manufactures. I duly purchased all of these extra's by now well over £1000 out of pocket and I must say all had been running smoothly until just lately. I honestly had absolutely no idea that the preloaded stuff wasn't genuine (or I think it possibly is as he has a some sort of liscense to use it more than once or something but I guess he must have abused this)? I really don't want to fork out another £92 + but I will do I guess... I'm just terrified that I will do something wrong and loose everything including all my Norton stuff etc. Someone has said to copy things and I'm ashamed to say I'm not even sure how to or which things I need to copy and what about the keys I needed for Norton and spysweeper as even if I do manage to copy and reload them won't the keys be invalid now?? Sorry to go on, everyone must think I'm a complete idiot...and I am where computers are concerned... I think it must be an age thing.. I'm always frightened of doing something wrong as I didn't even know how to switch one on until I got my 1st one about 4 years ago and I've never had any training on one.

Anyway I will attempt to do whatever Microsoft are saying to do maybe tomorrow and so if I disappear offline....it's been nice 'knowing' you all.

Take care and thanks for all of your help. XX

if u follow what microsoft say then u shoudl lsoe anything ,all ti will do is giove u a geuine product key do ur copy of windows si then not a pirated one.

so if u do do it then it should be ok.
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2006, 11:37 PM
Aww thanks Ceiron. Do I not need to copy anything then ?
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

30-05-2006, 11:59 PM
if ur following th ballon that pops up that says follow this to find out more etc ...

and takes u to microsofts site then no.

if u buy a new copies of windows compeltely on cd then yes.
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2006, 12:08 AM
Originally Posted by ceiron
if ur following th ballon that pops up that says follow this to find out more etc ...

and takes u to microsofts site then no.

if u buy a new copies of windows compeltely on cd then yes.
Thanks again Ceiron - that's what I intend doing just trying to follow the link but, I have read in another post something about having to wipe everything off and reload it??? I know that I wouldn't be able to do anything like that.

Kath XX
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

31-05-2006, 12:41 AM
as far as i am aware thats how it works ,the uk site is useless for tellign me tbh but it says what i said on the australian one.lol

and as mine is geuine i cant follow the link to find out.lol

so my advice si follow the link and if it others to repalce ur product key then u dont need to back anythign up if it wants a reinstall fo windows then u will.
pamngeoff
Dogsey Senior
Male 

31-05-2006, 12:59 AM
pm me with your address and i will send you a safe xp cd for free its one from the university of brighton who i work for and we get all our progs for free regards Geoff
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >