Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-05-2012, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by S6754 View Post
We've been told we can wait and choose at a later date but as they're allowing people to choose from 2 weeks there may not be any left to choose from.

I emailed numerous breeders that were listed on the kc website so we'd have more options but it seems they've either already been born (which we weren't ready for at the time) or they're not planning on breeding this year.

I see adverts on preloved for puppies but according to other forums, respectable breeders do not need to advertise online(?) so my other half point blank refuses to consider them. She's dead set on only getting a puppy from this breeder.

We'll go along to choose when we're told it's time and see what's what. At the end of the day although I will be doing everything dog related (she's disabled), she's the one who has always wanted a labrador and even though it will be a family pet I think she sees it as more of her own.
I`m sorry, and I hope this does not offend, but it seems you are falling into the age old trap, of wanting it now so will go with who has it now.

its a shame to be honest, as you have done all your research and not gone into this lightly, but you are falling at the very first hurdle... not being able to wait till the right breeder with the right pups comes along.

Good luck, with your choice, I hope its the right one for all sake`s involved!
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2012, 09:29 AM
I think the two weeks thing is strange too. When i got sweep we said we wanted a Blenhiem dog, and the litter had two blenhiem dogs and 2 try bitches, so that was sort of that decision made, at 5 weeks the breeder 'chose' Sweep for us s he was to be 'my' dog and i was only 6 at the time, so she gave us the calmer, quieter puppy.

At 2 weeks you have no idea how a puppy is going to turn out. The breeder you have chosen sounds a bit suspect IMO
S6754
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-05-2012, 10:13 AM
I've spoken to my other half but she won't have any of it. I'll send her the link to this thread, perhaps reading your replies will have an impact. In the meantime I'll have another search to see who is breeding at the moment.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2012, 10:17 AM
Zambillions out there

I would suggest contacting the breed clubs first, plenty of those and the Kennel Club have just looked and thereare LOADS of puppies about.
S6754
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-05-2012, 11:01 AM
My other half has given in an accepted that buying from the breeder she wanted isn't the best idea. It's a good job I'm on this forum else I would be going into this blindly.

Money wise we're not in a position right now to buy a puppy which makes searching a bit harder. We're still saving and looking at mid July. I've come across a breeder down in Bristol that I'll email today that is listing puppies ready at 8 weeks from July.

Where would I find a list of breed clubs? I emailed a lot of breeders listed on the kc website but none were breeding this year.
theo&milly
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-05-2012, 11:10 AM
I was chosen for my pup when he was 4 weeks old. I had to go in & play with him etc and then make 2 repeat visits before I was able to hand over the deposit. My dog is just perfect for me. I was even more desperate to have him when I realized that I wasn't necessarily going to get him just because I wanted him. My breeder wanted to make sure that I was right for the pup. After I was chosen I went to visit once a week so that we could bond and I wasn't allowed to have him a single second before 8 weeks old. In fact as he had a moment of going off his food the original pick up date was pushed back til he was nearly 9 weeks and had been fully checked out by the vet. It's worth waiting that bit extra to get the best dog for you.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2012, 01:36 PM
Here, the Kennel Club has a list of Labrador Retriever Breed Clubs.

DO get in touch with the secretary(ies) who will point you in the right direction

http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/se...t.aspx?id=2048
S6754
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-05-2012, 03:04 PM
Thanks, I've contacted the secretary of the local club.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2012, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the update and good luck finding a breeder Labradors are popular dogs and I'm sure there should be plently of great breeders out there who will help you find the right puppy for your family.

Good luck
S6754
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-05-2012, 06:51 PM
The secretary of the club has got back to me and it looks like things will be back on track. I'll update again when I've spoken to her some more.

Thanks everyone for your honest opinions
Page 11 of 14 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 >