Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dragonfly
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-05-2012, 07:00 PM
How exciting!
Oh, and thank you for keeping us updated, it is lovely to be part of the excitement surrounding getting a new dog
S6754
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-05-2012, 07:16 AM
We've emailed the breeder to find out exactly what we're choosing at 2 weeks, whether it's just a yes we want one here's the deposit or sex / colour or whether we're supposed to be choosing the actual puppy. Being new to all this I didn't even think about that. This particular breeder says they let them go at 6 weeks of age but we're hoping they'll keep the one we choose until 8 weeks. We know they kept the inlaws puppy until 12 weeks of age when asked so hopefully that won't be a problem even if it means giving them a bit more money.

I know some may see the 6 week age as a sign that the breeder isn't particularly a good one but a number of factors were considered when deciding to put our name on their waiting list, the most important was the inlaws experiences and how wonderful their labrador turned out. Can't really beat some first hand experience from someone you trust I don't think.
S6754
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-05-2012, 07:33 AM
Just heard back from the breeder. The good news is that they have no problem keeping the puppy until 8 weeks of age. The bad news is that we do have to make a decision at 2 weeks. Apparently they have always advertised them from 2 weeks of age.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2012, 07:36 AM
Very Weird, as you cannot take them home until later, why cannot you choose then?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2012, 08:28 AM
Must be difficult to 'choose' a puppy from a litter at such a young age. Dunno what you'd go by.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-05-2012, 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by S6754 View Post
Just heard back from the breeder. The good news is that they have no problem keeping the puppy until 8 weeks of age. The bad news is that we do have to make a decision at 2 weeks. Apparently they have always advertised them from 2 weeks of age.
I`m sorry , but making a decision at 2 weeks is strange to say the least.

How can you make a decision when they are shuffling round the pen, eyes and ears closed and all looking like little blobs of fat.

I can understand sex, and colour to a point, but character I am confused.

Not to mention most breeders would not let anyone in at 2 weeks, mum will still be in her very protective stage and upsetting her at this point is foolhardy and dangerous for you and the pups.

I dont understand why she cant say , OK, come see them, I have 2 boys and 4 girls, you want a girl, then you have a choice of 2, same with the males, come back at 5 weeks and you will be able to see their individual character coming through.

RE- taking deposits its an individual thing, but many breeder don`t do it, but if you are happy then so be it.

6 weeks is far to young for a breeder to send her babies on their way,

P.S....advertising from 2 weeks is not the same as choosing .
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2012, 08:34 AM
Honestly, NO good Lab breeder would contemplate selling their puppies at 6 weeks of age. Equally, I have never heard of a breeder who would allow a first time dog owner (or any owner) to pick their puppy at 2 weeks when they have no idea of the personality of that pup.

Do both parents have all the minimum health tests required for the breed (HD/ED/PRA and most breeders do CNM) and have a current clear eye certificate?

I am afraid I would not use your relatives Labrador as an indicator that they are good breeders. I know some badly bred Labradors from poor breeders who have an excellent temperament. A good dog doesn't = from a good breeder.
S6754
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-05-2012, 08:44 AM
We've been told we can wait and choose at a later date but as they're allowing people to choose from 2 weeks there may not be any left to choose from.

I emailed numerous breeders that were listed on the kc website so we'd have more options but it seems they've either already been born (which we weren't ready for at the time) or they're not planning on breeding this year.

I see adverts on preloved for puppies but according to other forums, respectable breeders do not need to advertise online(?) so my other half point blank refuses to consider them. She's dead set on only getting a puppy from this breeder.

We'll go along to choose when we're told it's time and see what's what. At the end of the day although I will be doing everything dog related (she's disabled), she's the one who has always wanted a labrador and even though it will be a family pet I think she sees it as more of her own.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-05-2012, 08:48 AM
Do a search on you tube, for 2 wk old lab puppies, there are plenty , and ask yourself how you could possible pick your new pup from any of them.

You dont know which is going to be the biggest, smallest, most active, most bolshy , nervous , outgoing, noisey.

For someone in your position o pick the wrong one at such a young age could be disastrous for you, the last thing you need is to pick the one that needs to be out in the field working, or the one with a nervous nature.

TBH, if your breeder wont guide you on which dog is suitable for you, I would be walking away, and find someone who takes more care in placing her pups...... there are plenty out there
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2012, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by S6754 View Post
We've been told we can wait and choose at a later date but as they're allowing people to choose from 2 weeks there may not be any left to choose from.

I emailed numerous breeders that were listed on the kc website so we'd have more options but it seems they've either already been born (which we weren't ready for at the time) or they're not planning on breeding this year.

I see adverts on preloved for puppies but according to other forums, respectable breeders do not need to advertise online(?) so my other half point blank refuses to consider them. She's dead set on only getting a puppy from this breeder.

We'll go along to choose when we're told it's time and see what's what. At the end of the day although I will be doing everything dog related (she's disabled), she's the one who has always wanted a labrador and even though it will be a family pet I think she sees it as more of her own.
Not sure I see the breeders logic there. With my last pup, I paid a deposit to secure one of the bitches when they were born as did the other people on the breeders list. Then I came and picked my pup at 5 weeks, as did the other people.

Some 40,000 or so Labradors are bred every year so I'm sure if you looked in the right place you would have no trouble finding a quality puppy.

Are the sire and the dam of the litter fully health tested? your wife may well be 'dead set' on this litter, but alarm bells are ringing for me. You do not want a puppy that potentially ends up with health problems from poor breeding practices.
Page 10 of 14 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »