Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pixydust
New Member!
Female 

29-11-2007, 01:32 AM

is my bitch pregnant?????

my girl was got on the 18th october and again unfortunatelly a week later. she seems to be quite grumpy and has started to carry her soft teddy around and cleaning it and growls at my other girl when she goes near the teddy is this normal or does it mean she not pregnant and just thinks she is. this is not a planned pregnancy
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2007, 01:36 AM
Sorry to sound harsh, but if it wasnt planned, and you knew she was got at, why didn't you take her to the vet to get the Jab ??

Behaviour alone will not tell if she is or isn't. Only a blood test to detect relaxin will tell for definate.

She could be or she could be having a phantom.

I would be taking her to the vet, because if she is, you need to be feeding her enough for her and the pups or she will become ill, using all her resources for the pups.
pixydust
New Member!
Female 

29-11-2007, 01:38 AM
i hav increased the food intake and she is on puppy food just incase never new about getting an injection for her
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2007, 01:39 AM
Originally Posted by pixydust View Post
i hav increased the food intake and she is on puppy food just incase never new about getting an injection for her
who told you to put her on puppy food ?
pixydust
New Member!
Female 

29-11-2007, 01:42 AM
a friend who put her bitch on puppy food when she was pregnant as she was told that she would get more protein and stuff from it than she would from the adult food whilst she was pregnant
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2007, 01:45 AM
Originally Posted by pixydust View Post
a friend who put her bitch on puppy food when she was pregnant as she was told that she would get more protein and stuff from it than she would from the adult food whilst she was pregnant
I don't personally think it helps any, but others will disagree.

Unless you have a blood test, you won't know for sure as even phantoms can display all the signs of a real pregnancy, right down to the labour, that produces no puppies.

At this stage only a scan or bloods will tell for definate.

In the future I would keep your dogs apart when she is in season, especially if you know she's been got at once, and then to allow it a second time !!

How old is your bitch ??
pixydust
New Member!
Female 

29-11-2007, 01:48 AM
the bitch is three years old i did keep them apart after he got her the first time but unfotunatelly when he came back home she sttod for him and i wasnt quick enough to preveent it as i thought her season was finished
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-11-2007, 02:15 AM
The best thing you can do now is take her to your vets ASAP and get her tested.

I'm sorry but I just think that you have been irresponsible in allowing her to go near another male when she is in or has just come off of season.

Why did you not get her spayed if you have no intention of having puppies in the first place and by the sounds of it has very little knowledge of what you are doing or how to keep her or them.

The very first rule of owning a dog is to do your homework concerning the breed.

If she is pregnant have you given any consideration to what you are going to do with the puppies once they are born. i.e.: having to take about two weeks off of work so that you don't leave her unattended. Where are or how are you going to rehome them etc. Are you going to be able to afford the vet bills for the health checks and vaccinations etc.

I'm sorry to sound harsh, but this county has got thousand of dogs in rescues kennels across this county where puppies have been born because of unwanted pregnancies.

I just hope you dog doesn't have any complications if she is pregnant.
pixydust
New Member!
Female 

29-11-2007, 02:20 AM
yes i have given it plenty of thought if she is pregnant there is someone at home 24/7 and i already have homes waiting for the puppies if she is. and vet bills are not a problem i was just a bit concerned about the way she's behaving at the moment i didnt get her spayed as ive not long owned her i seperated her from the boy the minute i new he'd got her the second mating was just unfortunate as he is so quick and she should of been out of her heat
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2007, 02:22 AM
So you've not long owned her, and now on top of having to cope with a new home, dog and environment, you allow her to get pregnant too !! I feel sorry for the dog !!

If the vets bills are not a problem, you can still have her speyed now.
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 > Last »