Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kazkirk
New Member!
Female 

27-01-2013, 12:11 PM

Osteosarcoma Diagnosis

Hi, Im new here. I wish it was for better reasons that I joined, but anyway. My otherwise healthy 9 yr old cane corso went in for an xray on Friday, and was told its most likely osteosarcoma.

She goes in on Tuesday for X-rays of her chest, and if there is nothing on her chest x-ray, they will do a biopsy of the lump to make sure its actually osteo. She shows minimal discomfort, only barely limped a couple times a week ago, but true to her breed, she is very stoic.

Does anyone have stories to share about this horrid disease, good and bad? I assume on Tuesday we will see that its already in her lungs and maybe her heart (they got a bad shot of her chest on Friday, but she wasnt sedated, so the spots they see on her heart may be artifacts).

Here is my beautiful girl:

This hurts a lot. We put down our American Bulldog late November last year when we discovered at softball sized tumor in his lungs. Life is cruel
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2013, 12:50 PM
Hi there - I have no experience to share but I'm so sorry to hear she may have this and I'm sending lots of positive thoughts for Tuesday. She is an absolutely beautiful girl.
Hugs.
x
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-01-2013, 01:14 PM
Hello Karen and welcome.
So sorry to hear about your lovely girl.
I have no experience of this disease myself , a few members here have had dogs with a similar problem

Hugs xx
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

27-01-2013, 01:33 PM
I am sorry to hear you and your dog will have ot go through this horrible disease , and to answer your question , yes I have been through it myself.

Here are a couple of links to my boys story, it may help you understand the aggressiveness of this type of cancer.

Bandit.....25/01/00 to 27/02/2011

Some of those good Dogsey vibes needed here please!(update @ post 16)

Firstly you need ot wait for the results of the xrays, to see if its spread or not, then you will be given options, amputation or palliative care...(we went for palliative care),

Osteosarcoma , is a very painful and aggressive cancer, it rapid in its development, like you when my boy was fist diagnosed , his limp was minor, but progressed at an alarming rate, till the medication no longer helped.

So people will opt for amputation, but I can only tell you what my own vet said to me, amputation generally only gives them a little bit of time, we decided not to put my boy through that and resign ourselves to enjoying what time we had left with him, as best we could.

My heart felt sympathies go out to you, its not going to be a plesent time for you or your girl, which ever decision you go for.

I hope my story helps you in some way.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2013, 01:47 PM
Sadly, I do have experience of this and I really feel for you. I'm not sure how to provide links to my previous threads on the subject but I am happy to provide any information.

It is a horrible disease that affected my dog's front leg. He went through all the treatment, biopsy, amputation, chemo and came out of it all extremely well with clear lung x-rays which encouraged us to expect he would have several more months of good quality life. Unfortunately it wasn't to be and more primary tumours were found in his pelvis and rear leg so I had no option but to let him go.

If there is anything I can help you with, let me know.
Carole
Supervisor

27-01-2013, 02:15 PM
Sorry to hear of the diagnosis, its such a horrible aggressive cancer I recently lost Star to a bone cancer but hers was in her skull and had spread by the time we noticed something was up.

Hope you manage to have some time with your girl
kazkirk
New Member!
Female 

27-01-2013, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I plan to ask for tramadol when I go in on Tuesday, although I have some left over from my bulldog I can give her in the meantime. Im walking around on the verge of tears at all times.
kazkirk
New Member!
Female 

27-01-2013, 08:25 PM
Question: Diagnosis to death- how long was that for you? Where did your dog have mets too and how extensive were they at that time?
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2013, 08:30 PM
I can't answer your questions Karen but I just wanted to say my thoughts are with you.
No wonder you are on the verge of tears all the time you must be worried to death.
kazkirk
New Member!
Female 

27-01-2013, 09:31 PM
I just buried my bulldog, now this

Here is my buddy who was laid to rest on 11/24.

I just noticed you can see Rexie in the background of that pic. Sigh.

Im currently extra hateful towards cancer.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >