View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kalasin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2010, 09:00 AM
I agree with what others have said here, but instead of 'ow' I made a high pitched yelping noise like another puppy would which would immediately stop Kiba biting and he'd start licking me instead as if to say sorry.

Whilst they're teething there are a few things you can do to help relieve the pain. Giving your pup a carrot to chew on, or knot up an old sock, put a little water on it and freeze it overnight. They do like the cold against their gums. Have a good selection of things your pup is 'allowed' to chew and try to distract her with these if she starts chewing undesirable things.

The best thing I found with Kiba and pretty much the /only/ thing he chewed apart from his toys was a big cardboard grape box from the supermarket. He would chew this and rip up bits of cardboard all over the floor all evening. I was forever picking up cardboard but it definitely worked. The only thing Kiba ever had a nibble on was a dining chair and that was only once. The rest of my house is chew free!
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-05-2010, 10:17 AM
I think I'm going to Market a safe wooden chew toy!
They always go for wood! My table and chair set know all about it!
lesleyo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-05-2010, 10:17 AM
my old english sheepdog was VERY mouthy and has a strong jaw. unfortuantely all the ouch's in the world didnt help as he is deaf.

i got a jif lemon squeezy, filled it with water and kept it in my pocket, each time he bit i squirted him. he stopped within a day, now he only has to see the lemon and he stops doing anything!!!
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by lesleyo View Post
my old english sheepdog was VERY mouthy and has a strong jaw. unfortuantely all the ouch's in the world didnt help as he is deaf.

i got a jif lemon squeezy, filled it with water and kept it in my pocket, each time he bit i squirted him. he stopped within a day, now he only has to see the lemon and he stops doing anything!!!
I wouldn't recommend that to any dog with all their senses.
Some dogs like it! Also it can damage the bond between owner and dog.
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2010, 12:57 PM
I think it's just a matter of perserverence. I have a 14 week old pup and he is still play biting all the time. Even when I try and give him a stroke or pat he seems to take that as an indicator to play bite.

A loud 'ouch' stops him for a while, and he is certainly biting more gently than initially.

Now that he is being gentle I am going to try and get him to stop it all together - but think I will wait till after the holiday next week to do that. I will be more refreshed, and hopefully he will be knackered after walking round the Lake District
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2