Our sister sites
Our sister sites
michele44
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-05-2010, 06:04 PM

Thoughts on Cesar Millan

hi
i just wondered what your thoughts were about the dog whisperer...i think the man is a genius...as well as dishy but thats another thing
michele xxxxxxxxx
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2010, 06:09 PM
Oh...you will open up a massive can of worms with this one...

I suggest doing a 'search' for him on the forum.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2010, 06:16 PM
Are you really sure you want to ask that question?

To sum it up? I think the man needs to stay FAR away from dogs. He doesn't understand how they think; he doesn't understand their body language; he uses abusive techniques like alpha rolls, choke chains, shock collars, and flooding with them. He's BAD NEWS for dogs.

I read his book and have watched his show and have been horrified by them both. Thinking of the things he does to dogs and the amount of people sucked in by thinking some TV personality is knowledgeable and someone to emulate just makes me sick to my stomach.

Some reading:

http://beyondcesarmillan.weebly.com/index.html

http://www.4pawsu.com/cesarfans.htm

http://www.livescience.com/animals/0...-training.html

http://askdryin.com/blog/tag/aggress...vior-training/

There are many more where those came from.
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-05-2010, 06:37 PM
To me, some of his comments/techniques seem to have value - stay calm and relaxed, give the dog exercise being the main ones that spring to mind immediately.

On the other side of the coin though there are many things that I don't like, even though I am not a behavioural expert or know a lot about training dogs.

I don't like the 'kick' that he now uses for example. Ok, I know it is just meant to be a gentle touch, but it is so open to abuse, especially by owners who are angry or frustrated by their dogs behaviour.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2010, 06:39 PM
not going to say anything not going to say anything not going to say anything not going to say anything..................................

yet
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by montysmum View Post
To me, some of his comments/techniques seem to have value - stay calm and relaxed, give the dog exercise being the main ones that spring to mind immediately.
And that's all well and good. I think those are good things to state. BUT...pretty much every trainer says those things. It's where you get into each individual's technique that the real "meat" of their training comes into play. Once you get through the basics and get to what makes Cesar different from another trainer is when I start having major issues with him.

At one point in time I wrote up a pretty long and detailed review of his book, Cesar's Way, which I call The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. It explains a lot about what I think of him.

http://www.dogtransports.com/2009/02...ar-millan.html
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2010, 06:43 PM
The man is crazy! He shouldnt be allowed near any animal..He doesnt understand dogs, he works off getting a reaction out of them so it looks like he has worked magic to his viewers.
HannahCB
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-05-2010, 06:44 PM
Please nooooooo not this thread
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-05-2010, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
And that's all well and good. I think those are good things to state. BUT...pretty much every trainer says those things. It's where you get into each individual's technique that the real "meat" of their training comes into play. Once you get through the basics and get to what makes Cesar different from another trainer is when I start having major issues with him.
I agree. I wonder just how long he spends with each family to get the bit that we see on telly?

I have a mental vision of him repeating his 'techniques for hours on end to increasingly fatigued and stressed dogs, just to get the 1/2hr or so that is aired on the show.
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-05-2010, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by HannahCB View Post
Please nooooooo not this thread
Hehe! I agree...

Cesar is a touchy subject! The exercise and being calm, yes, good advice. The rest, not so good! But I'm sure there are many threads on here you could search for that would make the views of most dogsey folk clear!

I used to like him, so I know where you're coming from. But then I got myself a dog and wouldn't dream of using his techniques on her! And reading things on here only backed that up.

Sarah xoxox
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »