Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2004, 07:33 PM

bones and teeth

hi all, i havent yet brushed indies teeth with the doggy toothpaste, but she does have plenty of bones, denta chrews a toys to chew on. so do i still need to bush her teeth?
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-09-2004, 02:23 AM
It is a good idea to get your dog used to having its teeth brushed even if it does not appear to be necessary. A dog that is willing to have its mouth handled is a blessing.
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-09-2004, 07:39 AM
I've never brushed Murph's teeth but I do fiddle in his gob -just so I can retreive anything incase he's choking
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-09-2004, 08:31 AM
Star has a lot of chews and nylabones but I try to make an attempt to brush her teeth at least a few times a week. Usually ends up with Star stealing the toothbrush and chewing the bristles.
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2004, 08:32 AM
Sounds familiar Caz

Tam would steal the toothpaste too
Traci
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2004, 09:58 AM
Mine just lick the toothpaste.

Traci
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2004, 03:17 PM
mine love having their teeth brushed although I have been lazy since I bought some logic.............
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2004, 01:18 AM
I think it is a really good idea to clean their teeth, I have been doing so when Keena still had milk teeth, to get her used to it...lol..I stopped a while when she was teething when her gums were sore but now we clean them again.

I have heard of some dogs getting tartar even before they are 1 and so I want to help the best I can because I think 15 years or so without brushing your teeth would be pritty grim and the same for your dog!...

I think the younger you get them started the better too before there is even a problem. I love how white my pups teeth are and I want to keep them that way. I think it is a shame seeing bad teeth in dogs.

Keena also gets raw bones to chew on a couple times a month and I give her denta rasks and sticks, nylabones etc but most of all I make sure that any treats she gets arn't loaded with the artificail colours and sugar. You know some 'bones' or chews that are supposed to be good for your dogs teeth actually contain alot of sugar and that does not make sense!...So I make sure all chews and treats don't have any sugar to rot the teeth or artificial colours (that can discolour teeth). Also obviously avoid this in their main food too.

Other than that I just make sure I give her a good crunchy treat after each meal, like a JWB crackerjack or something or a Nutro biscuit or whatever.
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2004, 09:39 PM
max loves having his teeth cleaned he thinks he is getting food lol
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2004, 10:49 PM
lol Katy, he sounds cute...so long as you get the time to actually brush before he tries eating it all!...I have to hold Keena's tongue down to keep it still or else we get in a right state and I find it works out better if I tackle her teeth after a good long walk when she is most relaxed, she sometimes just 'zones' out while I am brushing away, then she will wake back up again and realise what I am doing and try eating the brush etc etc breifly before drifting off again. I don't think I would get very far if she was more awake at the time!

Just out of interest though, does anyone manage to get to the insides of the very back teeth on the bottom row? I can never get there but I have read that their tongue cleans that area fine by it's self.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >