View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
GirondeDeb
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-12-2011, 08:51 AM
We live in an area where the ticks transmit piroplasmosis, which can kill a dog in 24hours if untreated, so we take them quite seriously.

For the last 6 years I have use Advantix on the dogs every month, and they've had only two ticks attach themselves in all that time. The huge disadvantage is that Advantix is toxic to cats, so I keep them away from the dogs for a day or two after application.

I will ask the vet about Scalibor collars, and whether they're safer for the cats to be around.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-12-2011, 09:28 AM
I have just looked at a pack of Frontline Plus Spot-on and it is is marked that it deters fleas and ticks. I use it on Pereg every month [1st of the month] except for December and February, and have only once seen a tick on her - not yet attached so she presumably had only just picked it up.

I have no idea if there are more ticks around than usual at this time of year but I do know that there are flies galore and I cannot use any fly spray because of Pereg.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2011, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
I have just looked at a pack of Frontline Plus Spot-on and it is is marked that it deters fleas and ticks. I use it on Pereg every month [1st of the month] except for December and February, and have only once seen a tick on her - not yet attached so she presumably had only just picked it up.

I have no idea if there are more ticks around than usual at this time of year but I do know that there are flies galore and I cannot use any fly spray because of Pereg.
I believe it deters all parasites! Unless it rains the day after its applied and washes off -.-
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

21-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
I believe it deters all parasites! Unless it rains the day after its applied and washes off -.-
Oh yes, I forgot the bit about not bathing a dog or getting it wet for two days after application...
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

21-12-2011, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
Tick number 2!!

Found it on Millies forhead by accident when I was tickling her forhead I notticed the distinctive shape of those nasty we devils! But I got it out because my vet gave me a tick a remover the last time I was their and they really do work best fiver I spent ^^

so glad its out as their horrid things >.>
I did not know theya re a worry this time of year, usually spring and summer.
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-12-2011, 02:29 PM
Bizarrely, none of my dogs have ever had a tick in their lives, that includes my past dogs too. Maybe I'm just lucky.
woofinfinity
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-12-2011, 07:06 AM
One of my dogs occasionally will get a tick after a romp at the river, usually in warm and humid weather, even when they are on Frontline Plus. I pluck them off and spray apple cider vinegar mixed 50/50 with water on the spot the tick was. I've heard of ticks carrying really threatening illnesses and worry of my dogs getting something from it, but there are mosquitoes and parvo at the dog park and other major public places and my backyard is OK but not big enough for a really big running fest so I chance a trip to the river once in awhile.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2