View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2009, 11:54 AM
Well, if anyone wants a huskamute there`s 2 young ones at Many Tears and a young labradoodle in Allbreeds. These are the only 2 places I googled. Would people looking for these first crosses take rescues? If not, why not? Just wondering why...
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-06-2009, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Well, if anyone wants a huskamute there`s 2 young ones at Many Tears and a young labradoodle in Allbreeds. These are the only 2 places I googled. Would people looking for these first crosses take rescues? If not, why not? Just wondering why...
I suppose it may be for the same reasons that people choose a pedigree puppy from a breeder instead of going to a specific breed rescue.

I have to say that me personally will never by from a breeder again. I would think that going to Labradoodle Trust would actually be a whole lot better than a puppy as the dogs will have been assessed and the coat type will most like be known, so those who need a low shed for whatever reason can be safe in their choice.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2009, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by JanieM View Post
I suppose it may be for the same reasons that people choose a pedigree puppy from a breeder instead of going to a specific breed rescue.

I have to say that me personally will never by from a breeder again. I would think that going to Labradoodle Trust would actually be a whole lot better than a puppy as the dogs will have been assessed and the coat type will most like be known, so those who need a low shed for whatever reason can be safe in their choice.

I totally agree with you about the rescue thing, its a whole lot safer going to a rescue as you allready know what your getting, and a rescue will be more honest about the dogs then some breeders of the crosses as they want the dog to go to a forever home, not be bounced around or come back to them.

I have to say now that I can only see myself getting rescue dogs in the future, although there is a breeding kennels that I would love to get a bull terrier from it would be nice saving a life, and as I don't want to get involved in showing I don't need a show quality animal, but would only need a good family pet, and there are plently of them in rescue centres all over the country desparetly waiting for a new home or even never getting out of the kennels as no-one wants them
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-06-2009, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by dog-nut View Post
Well, Ernie was less expensive than professional help

Poodle people just can't understand why everyone doesn't love their dogs.

I think its more to do with, they cant understand why anyone would want to abuse their breed .

Originally Posted by rubylover View Post
I'm sure it is up to you Jackbox to determine which one she should accept as well then? Do you not see the arrogance in this kind of statement. "I command that you pick from my dictated list only, I'LL determine what You should think is important . . . you can have it in any colour you like as long as its black"
I would not presume to tell you what type of dog to buy..

And while I am on it..I dont have a problem with xbreeds

But I do have a problem with those who breed such dogs giving false promises about temperament /shedding and health.

You state this as if it is a problem. Personally, I see no problem in conscientious breeders continuing in landrace style mutt breeding or one off crosses into infinity. In a world of my making the last 100 years of closed registries and the influence of conformation breeding would be erased. Any breed that stemmed from the "Toy Spaniel" has been completely ruined. JMHO
Not not a problem, just fact, the doodle of any type will unfortuantly never become a recognized breed , simply because of the facts stated.

You also seem to be under the impression I have a problem with the creation of a breed for a purpose...

But the Labradoodle failed in that ..as in the info posted in an earlier post explained... as for the rest of the doodle creations... I fail to see what they contribute to the canine world... as has been said many times before , there are already many breeds to fit every porpose.

There are some people who have formed organizations with plans to establish the labradoodle as a breed, however. You seem to be unaware of them, so here are the links. You might want to have a look at the labradoodle code of ethics page. I've yet to find an established breed club's code of ethics that can even touch it.

http://www.laa.org.au/ala/Codeofethicsrules.htm

http://www.laa.org.au/

http://www.manorbornasd.co.uk/
Sorry , not unaware of anything, the fact some breeders (few_ adhere to their code of ethics... wont help them in their quest to become a breed.

Again as stated in my earlier post, to become a recognized breed they will have to breed to type for generations.. the breeding programme MUST be controlled... and I cant see how that will ever happen.

Each to their own, pure bred /Xbreed/ mongral..we love them all.
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-06-2009, 08:10 PM
I meet lots of poodles at the dog parks.
Their owners adore them.
They just don't do it for me.
I like retreivers...more easy going and goofy.
Mix a retreiver with a poodle (to lessen shedding) and you've got MY perfect dog.

The only purebred dog that would be somewhat close to my ideal dog would be a Portuguese Water dog (President Obama got one of those for his allergic kids).
But, from what I've read, they're still off a bit from my needs (I have only met one in person, and spoke to a friend with two...and read articles).
I don't think you can get a dog more "goofy" than a standard poodle My friend has a lovely boy who is best friends with my BC I never liked poodles until i met him, and i can honestly say you would be hard pushed to find a dog that has as wonderful a temperament as him. I get as sick as my friend does with people asking if he's a doodle All the labradoodles i have met (and there's a lot here) have had to be kept on lead as they are uncontrollable and the one goldendoodle i know (beautiful girl) has a more golden coat than poodle, but is so very nervous of everything

I have a bitsa (or scruffy mutt if you like) and i have been asked by doodle people if she's a short labradoodle

Dog nut
I'm sorry, but as lovely as your boy is (and i really do think he is ) i can't see ANY golden in there at all
Maybe you should post a bigger close up of him

Jann
XXX
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2009, 08:33 PM
Well, Ernie was less expensive than professional help

Poodle people just can't understand why everyone doesn't love their dogs.
I would have thought that if you purchase a dog that is a mix of two breeds, it is because you 'love' both breeds?
rubylover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-06-2009, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I would have thought that if you purchase a dog that is a mix of two breeds, it is because you 'love' both breeds?
There seems to be a myth out there that temperament of mixbreeds or mutts is TOTALLY unpredictable. I have known mutt breeders all my life and this rumour is a complete exaggeration (a lie, not true). Temperament is less predictable but any breeder worth their salt has an idea of what temperaments will come from their litters.

A mix of two breeds most often is somewhere "between" the two parent breeds. To like the temperament of a Poodle mix does not mean you'll have to like the temperament of the Poodle. It WILL be influenced by the cross.

Landrace breeds were predictably enough bred for thousands of years before the idea of "pure" was introduced using background knowledge of the parents and their temperaments, and continue being bred this way in many, many places.

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I think its more to do with, they cant understand why anyone would want to abuse their breed .
Do you really believe it is abuse to breed pure to mixed? I am sitting here completely drop jawed at this statement of canine eugenecist thinking and pure racism.

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
And while I am on it..I dont have a problem with xbreeds

But I do have a problem with those who breed such dogs giving false promises about temperament /shedding and health.
As do I with both breeders of purebred and mixes, but you seem to single out mixbreed breeders for particular wrath. Why? . . . . perhaps the thinking you portray in the quote above is why.

As a person of mixed heritage who has married and bred to a person of even a different mixed heritage and produced two wonderful rainbow children I have to decide at this point, Jackbox, that you and I are too far apart in any kind of thinking to ever see eye to eye. This will be the end of my replies to you on this topic. This is obviously pointless between you and I.

Originally Posted by JanieM View Post
I pretty much agree with that. I think a lot of people are charging way too much and no doubt that is encouraging the wrong people to breed. I have to say that there are a lot of over priced dogs out there both ped and cross bred.

I do think though that people should be able to choose what sort of dog they have if they're going for a pup. As long as they have researched the breeder and all the obvious criteria are met I think they shouldn't be made to feel like they have done something wrong by choosing a cross breed. If they want to pay silly money that's up to them.
I think you have said things very well here JanieM
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2009, 09:30 PM
A mix of two breeds most often is somewhere "between" the two parent breeds. To like the temperament of a Poodle mix does not mean you'll have to like the temperament of the Poodle. It WILL be influenced by the cross.
I am aware that by crossing two breeds you will get temperament influences from both, but that was not the point I was trying to make. Dog-nut suggested that he wasn't a fan of Poodles. Yet his dog is half Poodle and looks almost exactly like a purebred Poodle. I just thought it was a pretty odd statement to make.

I certainly wouldn't get a purposely bred crossbreed unless I loved the temperaments of BOTH breeds, as apposed to just one.

Do you really believe it is abuse to breed pure to mixed? I am sitting here completely drop jawed at this statement of canine eugenecist thinking and pure racism. .
I know this wasn't directed to me, however I must say that most if not all reputable breeders of Labs/Poodles/Goldens and whatever other breed they use to make 'Doodles' would NOT use their dogs to produce mixes.
rubylover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-06-2009, 10:18 PM
I am aware that by crossing two breeds you will get temperament influences from both, but that was not the point I was trying to make. Dog-nut suggested that he wasn't a fan of Poodles. Yet his dog is half Poodle and looks almost exactly like a purebred Poodle. I just thought it was a pretty odd statement to make.

I certainly wouldn't get a purposely bred crossbreed unless I loved the temperaments of BOTH breeds, as apposed to just one..
That would be your decision to make.

I don't like independent small breeds in general (lhasa, shih tzu etc.), as I really favor biddability, but my very favorite dog ever had on grand-dam that was lhasa. Just because a breed is part or even half of the background does not mean the pups WILL be a lot like that breed.

It was quite easy to pick through the litter and find the pup that had the most biddability for me. (She was not a purchased pup, by the way. The litter was up for adoption by the dam's foster mom who was also fostering the grand-dam, both taken in from a family that couldn't cope. The dam also obviously had some Sheltie in her and we are all clueless as to the sire but my pup was one of the shedding ones in a litter that had both shedding and non in it. ).

I don't like poodles (mostly because of the too smart and what I call generally "high strung" temperament), yet I have liked every small poodle mix I've met. I particularly like the temperaments of Cockapoos (not the coat though) but I would guess that is cuz I find a lot attractive in the Cocker temperament.

I know this wasn't directed to me, however I must say that most if not all reputable breeders of Labs/Poodles/Goldens and whatever other breed they use to make 'Doodles' would NOT use their dogs to produce mixes.
Reputable is a self-defined word so means very little. I do not consider the vast majority of those who show reputable, and to me, in some breeds there is no such thing as a reputable breeder. I could see some breeders hesitating or refusing to mix breeds or outcross as they didn't understand the aim. They would not call it, though, "abuse" to use a pure on a mixed. If they did that would reflect a worship of pure just for the sake of pure - the thought that pure is superior or somehow more deserving - and I would consider them tainted by eugenecist thinking as well. That kind of thinking is disturbing when applied to Collies or Caucasians.
dog-nut
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-06-2009, 02:52 AM
Originally Posted by Skyesmum View Post
:
Dog nut
I'm sorry, but as lovely as your boy is (and i really do think he is ) i can't see ANY golden in there at all
Maybe you should post a bigger close up of him

Jann
XXX
He does look like more a poodle, although he has some golden highlights on his ears and back...also has the tail of a golden.

His personality is different than either a poodle or a golden...I don't even know if I can call it a combination.
In the past four years, I have met many poodles, goldens, and goldendoodles.
Goldendoodles seem to have a personality very much their own.
The only dogs I meet that I wish were mine mostly seem to be other goldendoodles.

Here is a picture showing his tail...and then a picture of his pop and mum.

A fourth picture, of Ernie chasing his goldendoodle friend...Mogley has much gold...he is quite large and quite a clown...the life of the party.

Page 20 of 30 « First < 10 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 > Last »