View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2010, 03:56 PM
OK, supposing the police didn't find him until he had done something like that chap in Cumbria the other week then, went around shooting 10 innocent people, would you still be arguing his case if the police eventually turned up and did what they did this time around? I'm only glad that other guy ended up shooting himself, so they can't lay any blame on the police.
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Wasn't he a bit of a drug dealer as well as a bouncer? I am sure I heard that on the news.
Not heard anything on the news relating to any drugs other than steroids.

What do you think of the brother (who hadn't spoken to Moat in a few years) now complaining that the police wouldn't let him go down and speak to him!
I don't and haven't spoken to my brothers for a while, but I grew up with them and love them unconditionally, families seperate and go their seperate ways for all sorts of reasons, it doesn't mean that you don't care.

The uncle was the first one who said he was upset he hadn't been allowed to go down, and now Moat's older brother is saying the same. They apparently both contacted police and asked to go and speak to Moat. Unfortunately, for obvious reasons, the police can't allow members of the public (whether relatives or not) to be put into danger. The fact that Raoul Moat was ranting about having no family and had apparently been estranged from his family for years, could also mean that seeing or hearing from members of that family could have acted in tipping him over the edge, whereupon he may have tried to take others lives as well as his own.

As Helena54 pointed out, Moat himself never asked for any of his family members but instead asked for one of his friends to go down.
The police even cocked that up apparently and took the wrong friend there and apparently was also arrested and bailed pending further enquiries.
Whatever the circumstances I still feel he and others involved were failed miserably. Imagine had he been one of your own, would anything have stopped you trying to get to him ? I think not.
We as parents don't have crystal balls, and can only mould, shape and influence them so much, we sadly cannot make guarantee's regarding which paths in life they choose to take.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2010, 04:37 PM
Are you anti police in general Nicci, or just in these circumstances?

I am genuinely interested, as I was shocked (and I mean REALLY shocked) at how many people have started and joined FB pages saying Moat was some kind of hero and legend. Also citing very anti-police sentiments. It worries me that we have 1000s of people like that in the UK
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2010, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
OK, supposing the police didn't find him until he had done something like that chap in Cumbria the other week then, went around shooting 10 innocent people, would you still be arguing his case if the police eventually turned up and did what they did this time around? I'm only glad that other guy ended up shooting himself, so they can't lay any blame on the police.
Couldn't agree more Helen. I trained to join the police in my 20s but was actually talked out of it by a number of friends already in the job, who told me it really wasn't worth it and that there is so much paperwork, red tape and anti police feeling that it makes the job extremely difficult and tedious at times. A PD instructor who absolutely lives for his job told me that he wouldn't have joined in today's climate, as the job has changed so much over the years. The police certainly don't seem to command the respect with today's society that they did when I was growing up.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2010, 04:42 PM
I was shocked (and I mean REALLY shocked) at how many people have started and joined FB pages saying Moat was some kind of hero and legend. Also citing very anti-police sentiments. It worries me that we have 1000s of people like that in the UK
I was to! Disgusting! I didnt want him dead. Because I think Its owed to all involved to see justice brought to him, questions answered and for him to live with what he had done. I dont support the man, and wouldnt. Hes a coward, no hero, no brave person a complete coward that has destroyed familes 'Including his own' wrecked many lives and left people with horrid memories that shall never be forgotten. He should have had real punishment for that, and taking his life Is In now way a punishment imo!
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-07-2010, 04:42 PM
Are you anti police in general Nicci, or just in these circumstances?

I am genuinely interested, as I was shocked (and I mean REALLY shocked) at how many people have started and joined FB pages saying Moat was some kind of hero and legend. Also citing very anti-police sentiments. It worries me that we have 1000s of people like that in the UK
I'm on one of the FB pages commenting but not one of those supporting or condoning his actions. I'm not anti police whatever gave you that idea?
But someone somewhere has made some serious cock ups can you not see that ?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2010, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by Nicci_L View Post
someone somewhere has made some serious cock ups can you not see that ?
well, yes. Mr Moat for starters.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2010, 04:47 PM
Couldn't agree more Helen. I trained to join the police in my 20s but was actually talked out of it by a number of friends already in the job, who told me it really wasn't worth it and that there is so much paperwork, red tape and anti police feeling that it makes the job extremely difficult and tedious at times. A PD instructor who absolutely lives for his job told me that he wouldn't have joined in today's climate, as the job has changed so much over the years. The police certainly don't seem to command the respect with today's society that they did when I was growing up.
One of Dave's best mates is a policeman, just a normal, not traffic, no firearms and you're so right there Kirsty with the lack of respect he gets too! I was brought up when you got a clip around the ear from one for riding your bike on the pavement, so I have the utmost respect for them, same as they do in the States, the criminals seem very respectful of them don't they, I wonder why that isn't the case here, where they spit at them and kick them! I wouldn't be surprised if 10 or 20 years down the line we don't have any, then we'll have something to moan about won't we!!!!
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-07-2010, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
well, yes. Mr Moat for starters.
And what about those that failed miserably to fully assess his state and frame of mind prior to his release, taking into account the threats he had made.

I cannot believe there are those of you out there that defend the failures that have been made regarding this case, it isn't just one person to blame here, there's a whole lot MORE of them.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2010, 04:54 PM
Well, I have to agree with that statement, but then that goes for a LOT of them who are just let back out on the streets, they often, more often than not, reoffend, so why let them out in the first place? Yes, he should have been psychiatrically assessed before his realise, but then if he was, which you don't know that HE wasn't by the resident psychiatrist in his prison yet, then he would have known whether he was mentally ill or not wouldn't he? In which case, if he WAS quickly, and routinely assessed prior to his release, he ticked all the right boxes, they let him go, then how the heck can they now say that he is mentally ill???? I still say that it's the drugs, both the steroid abuse and the other kind!

ETA: with regard to those threats, those could have come from a different means, i.e. another prisoner who they've since arrested and interviewed/one of his mates grassing on him, so they wouldn't have known about that would they!
Page 14 of 23 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 > Last »