Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2007, 07:34 PM

Serens odd behaviour with Trin

Hiya guys,I really need your help on this one as Im puzzled

Ok,as you all no we have got a SBT pup called Serenity,gorgeous little tyke,but........
her and trin play abit rough at times,no one gets hurt,or so i thought
Trin doesnt make an issue of it but when there chaseing each other around the garden Seren grabs Trins cheeks and neck and holds on
sometimes Trin will be running along and Seren will still be attached
Trin doesnt howl in pain,i didnt even see her do this til today,
the only reason I know shes been doing this is because of the cuts on Trins face and neck
Then today I witnessed it,I just couldnt believe it,there she was litterally hanging off of Trins neck skin,and Trin did absolutly nothing to stop her
This behaviour has to stop,I worry she might try it with my kids
any advice,apart from keeping them seperate at all times
all advice is much appreciated
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2007, 08:32 PM
This behaviour has to stop,I worry she might try it with my kids
She's being a puppy & reacting to your older dog normally, there is no reason why she should do this to your children if you don't let her mouth them

People do seem to think that dogs view humans as dogs, they don't they are aware that humans are not just another type of dog & as long as you do not allow her to mouth you(This link might help)

Your older dog will put her in her place eventually & I personally would not interfere with their play, puppies are allowed loads & loads of licence by adult dogs
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2007, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
She's being a puppy & reacting to your older dog normally, there is no reason why she should do this to your children if you don't let her mouth them

People do seem to think that dogs view humans as dogs, they don't they are aware that humans are not just another type of dog & as long as you do not allow her to mouth you(This link might help)

Your older dog will put her in her place eventually & I personally would not interfere with their play, puppies are allowed loads & loads of licence by adult dogs
i didnt mean it like that,i just ment she mite want to play rough with my kids.
but saying that shes never tried to grab them in anyway,shes very gentle with them.
im more worried that one day trinny will snap and that would not be a pretty sight to witness
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2007, 09:35 PM
When Isochicks dog was a puppy, he always hung off teagans cheeks/mouth, in fact, he still does it.
We always come home and she has bright red cheeks with cuts on!
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2007, 09:27 AM
My nans staffyxlab does this with Vienna. Sometimes she cries cos she is pulling too much. When the girls play too rough or my mum thinks they are making too much noise they either seperate them or use distraction of some treat rewarded training. If they really wont stop then they get a little wash lol (bowl of water on them lol) it normally calms them down and they forget what they were doing.
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-04-2007, 09:33 AM
I think dogs just make huge allowances for puppy and I am sure when your older one has had enough she will let pup know.

Our puppy is really rough will our other dogs but fine with the children i have no worries.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2007, 11:19 AM
Just to add to Hevvur's post....

Max plays very rough with Teagan (and his mum and sister, Lottie and Millie), but has never played like this with any children or grown-ups.

He does seem to know the difference between dogs and humans, e.g. how he can play with them
Gina&Jaz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-04-2007, 12:11 PM
Jaz used to hang of the Golden's ears when she was a puppy, and in fact still does when they're playing ball outside.

She never played rough with anyone but the dogs.