View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2005, 02:15 PM
Not here, but it was a major deal in Canada as well, more so as adults than children LOL We always had a huge Halloween do to go to and spent months making costumes and keeping them secret from each other so no one knew who we were when we turned up. Have loads of great memories and great pictures of the amazing costumes. Unfortunately, well before digital camera time.

Wish it was the same here, was always a great excuse for acting like a nutter and no one batting an eye...I'm homesick now
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-09-2005, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by Wolfie
I won't be celebrating this year unfortunatly. Now the kids aren't here, there's not much of a point

Where I live is miles away from anyone, and what neighbours are here don't have any young kids. Pity really, this house would be great to do up for Halloween.

At my other house I used to decorate inside and out. I'd spend hours carving out pumpkins too. I'd spend a fortune on sweets for all the kids, and they knew it too, they'd make my house the first port of call When we all got back, we'd have a good game of apple bobbing
i`ll come and celebrate with you wolfie
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2005, 03:27 PM
I buy sweets and stuff for those who come to the door but nothing else
doglover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2005, 06:18 PM
haven't planned anything yet. i wanna go trick or treating tho. i'll ask my m8s wot they're doing that nite.
abbymum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-09-2005, 10:13 PM
I am really looking forward to it, Matthew will be going to a school disco all dressed up but myself and Bronwyn will decorate the house inside and out, Im going to be a witch, Bronwyn is my cat and Abby gets to have horns. I have a fog machine for this year and a bowl where hands move on it as you go to get the treat. Not that I am excited or anything.
Mary
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2005, 11:52 PM
Done in the right way trick or treating can be really fun for everyone...

But on the estate where I grew up it was 9 times out of 10 just an excuse for the kids to go around terrorising people...!...Being obnoxious on people's door steps and throwing eggs and flour at people's houses and making no more effort to dress up other than wearing a black bin bag...It was quite funny one year when they targeted our neighbours house who had teenagers and when these kids came to the door threatening to throw flour the teenagers either had a hose set up ready and used that or threw a bucket of water onto them from the upstairs window (can't remember now)...But it was funny.

But yeah it's great if it's done in the right spirit.
TamT
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-09-2005, 07:25 AM
i am sad to admit. I was one of those horrible brats. We used to go around the neighbourhood egging ppls houses, toilet-papering their cars.

But one funny thing we did.

There was a townhouse complex, a big one with security gatesand an intercom at the gate. There must have been 70 or so units. So we took masking tape (duct tape i think), and taped all the buttons down. So in their houses the bell was ringing, but if they put the intercom phone down, it would carry on ringing again.
So everyone started answering, and they were all talking to eachother, nobody kinew what was going on and it was hilarious ..... aah, spose you had to be there.

I promise I am not a nasty person anymore
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2005, 07:28 AM
We turn off our lights and hide in the lounge while the scary kids in more ways than one go knocking on the doors, we have temporary hearing problems that evening.

surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-09-2005, 05:41 PM
Halloween (or Samhain (pronounced sowen) to people like me) is the start of the Celtic New Year and is hugely important in the Pagan calendar. It is the time when the veil between the physical and the metaphysical is at it's thinnest (hence the ghosty ghouly aspect)

Debs xx
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2005, 06:07 PM
We do a bit of this..

Bake eyeball cakes for the neighbours, have already got the goulish sweeties in for the trick or treaters and decorate the front of the house a little (laminate floor underlay makes great giant spiders webs and ghosts )
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2