Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
danegerous
New Member!
Male 

06-04-2006, 04:55 PM

danegerous/advice on feeding a Great Dane

I have a 12mnth old Dane and i have tried her on a number of all in ones. At the moment she is on Omega Origonal and although she is in fine condition she looks more like a greyhound than a Dane. Any advice from experienced Dane owners on the best to feed her would be gratefully recieved, I dont want to feed raw.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2006, 07:04 PM
Not a GD owner but at 12 months I would not worry if she is slim, but you may find changing to a better food like Arden Grange or increasing the amount may help, Are you still feeding 3 times a day? It could be that if you have reduce it to twice a day that she is not eating enough, also she should still be on a junior food not adult.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2006, 07:20 PM
Not a dane owner either, but all I can suggest is cramming in as many feeds per day as you can, leaving 3 hours inbetween each feed of course. Good luck. I have heard that it's a common thing not to be able to keep the weight on these dogs, but yours is only 1yr. old so should be fine, I hope.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2006, 07:38 PM
Please be careful - feeding dry food causes bloat which killed my Dane
My vet said feeding dry food was like "putting a gun to her head" - she was fine on it and looked really good......... I found out too late how lethal it was
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2006, 07:43 PM
agree with vicki, if u feed dry food, its best to soak it in warm water first so that it expands before the dog eats it. Feeding on a stand is also a good idea so the dog doesnt have to reach to the floor to eat, this can also help reduce the chances of bloat.

would recommend feeding arden grange like thordell suggested and depending how many meals ur feeding, up the amount.

ive seen a GD do good on nature diet, altho its a bit pricey, but a holistic wet food
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2006, 08:08 PM
I have a friend with a Dane girly with the very same problem, she put her on this liquid stuff, it's like 2 colours in one bottle sort of thing? I'm sorry I can't remember what it is called, you see it in adverts in dog magazines all the time, anyway it really helped her put some weight on.

My Maddy is the same, she eats for her country but she stays super slim! (wish I was like that!)
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-04-2006, 08:34 PM
Hi danegerous not a Dane owner either but what you own doesn't matter anyway

How many meals a day do you feed? I would feed two and if you want to put weight on try porridge/egg beaten in it/honey for breakfast..no milk though in case your dog is Lactose intolerant
danegerous
New Member!
Male 

06-04-2006, 08:37 PM
Thanks Jenny. What is your advice, will soaking the food first help? She is not a big eater anyway and is content with a 2 pint jug full a day in the evening I feed her off a stand because I am so worried about bloat. There are so many foods available where do you start? All the best John
danegerous
New Member!
Male 

06-04-2006, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the advice particulaly about the adult food, John
danegerous
New Member!
Male 

06-04-2006, 08:45 PM
Im like Maddy I could eat for Wales and still stay around 12 stn. Sorry
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >