Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2010, 01:41 AM

Introducing dog to baby...

i wasnt sure whether to put this here or in the general chat section... so it might need moved, but thought here would be the right one... anyways...

my sister had a baby, lucas, today. jake is used to kids, and loves them. i have 2 nieces and a nephew already, aged 6, 4 and 2. he is great with them all and absolutely dotes on them. but im not sure how he will react to the baby...

my sister will get out of hospital tomorrow, and so lucas will come to the house then... what would be the best way to introduce them? lucas' safety is paramount, and jake can be boisterous and excitable so it worries me on how to do this...

i dont know if this will make any difference, but he is used to dolls... and we have done a little bit of pretending the doll is real, and he calmly sniffs the doll. but lucas will obviously be noisier and move, which could get him excited... any ideas what the best way to go about this is?
GDMB
New Member!
Female 

05-02-2010, 10:17 PM
Hey Lozzibear, how did you go with introducing dog to bub? Only thing i can suggest is remind your dog that it is ok... if he starts getting excited, might pay to maybe put him on his lead and calm him down, let him smell the baby so then he is not scared. If he is ok with dolls, he should be right with a new baby. Hope all goes well for you.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2010, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by GDMB View Post
Hey Lozzibear, how did you go with introducing dog to bub? Only thing i can suggest is remind your dog that it is ok... if he starts getting excited, might pay to maybe put him on his lead and calm him down, let him smell the baby so then he is not scared. If he is ok with dolls, he should be right with a new baby. Hope all goes well for you.
thanks

he hasnt met him yet lol. he was meant to get out of hospital around 12 but a few problems with him cropped up so he was kept in till nearly 8. so we all went up to my sisters house instead. she will be over in the next few days though.

he is good with the dolls, and likes a good sniff but mainly just when i hold it. if anyone else does, he doesnt really pay any attention to it. i think im going to put his lead on, and keep it short enough so he can sniff but cant jump or anything. i think he should be ok, just worried that any noises or movements from lucas will start his excitability.
GDMB
New Member!
Female 

06-02-2010, 12:11 AM
sounds like he will be jealous, but hopefully he will be right... I am going to have same problem in May, i am due for #2 and we just got our dog he is y.o... The dog gets jealous when i play with my daughter, but he is slowely getting over it... Only other thing i can suggest is carry the doll with you when you are around your dog. And maybe try the treat system, tell him to sit, and give him a treat...??? Good luck
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2010, 01:00 AM
Originally Posted by GDMB View Post
sounds like he will be jealous, but hopefully he will be right... I am going to have same problem in May, i am due for #2 and we just got our dog he is y.o... The dog gets jealous when i play with my daughter, but he is slowely getting over it... Only other thing i can suggest is carry the doll with you when you are around your dog. And maybe try the treat system, tell him to sit, and give him a treat...??? Good luck
thanks

i think he will be a bit jealous, but not in a bad way... he is just a big sook and wants in on everything lol. i sometimes cant even cuddle my bf when he is around, coz he wriggles his way inbetween us he never gets jealous in a horrible way, which makes me feel better. i dont worry about him being jealous tbh, more his extreme excitabilty lol. will try with the treats though, and keeping him on a lead.

good luck for baby number 2!
Kitsu
New Member!
Female 

06-02-2010, 01:21 AM
first show the dog something absolutely covered in the baby's scent (a blanket, a onsie but be sure it's something not to be missed in case it gets destroyed) introducing the scent is the first step. When the baby comes, put your dog on a lead and have your sister sit on the couch, let the dog approach the baby but hold back on the lead so he doesn't get to close, let him get close enough to smell the baby. Maybe let his muzzle touch the baby's head or belly, if any aggression is shown, pull him back with a firm NO. give him time to relax and try again.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2010, 10:25 AM
I haven't read the other replies, so sorry if I am repeating anything that has already said.

With him being prone to excitability (as Jess is), I would be inclined to take him on a nice, tiring walk (whether this includes a run, or training, just something to expel his energy) so he is more calm and relaxed before meeting.

I can't remember how I first introduced Jess to our friend's babies, but I would say do not rise the baby (hold it high) enough for him to have to jump. Maybe get your sis to hold her baby whilst on the sofa, so he can walk up to her and have a good sniff. If you fear there might be any agression whatsoever, make sure he is leaded, and I would say with a head collar just for maximum control of his mouth.

Another way, might be before you meet, get a piece of the babies clothing, and introduce it to him without the baby, then when he meets the baby, the smell will be familiar to him, so he shouldn't get as OTT about the new smell as it won't be new anymore.

Does this make sense?
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2010, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by Kitsu View Post
first show the dog something absolutely covered in the baby's scent (a blanket, a onsie but be sure it's something not to be missed in case it gets destroyed) introducing the scent is the first step. When the baby comes, put your dog on a lead and have your sister sit on the couch, let the dog approach the baby but hold back on the lead so he doesn't get to close, let him get close enough to smell the baby. Maybe let his muzzle touch the baby's head or belly, if any aggression is shown, pull him back with a firm NO. give him time to relax and try again.
thanks
oh the scent is a good idea! im going to my sisters tonight so think i will pinch one of her blankets that he can smell and maybe ask her to bring him down on sunday . im sure he wont show any aggression, but will have him on a lead and will keep it short enough so that he can smell lucas but cant jump or anything.

Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
I haven't read the other replies, so sorry if I am repeating anything that has already said.

With him being prone to excitability (as Jess is), I would be inclined to take him on a nice, tiring walk (whether this includes a run, or training, just something to expel his energy) so he is more calm and relaxed before meeting.

I can't remember how I first introduced Jess to our friend's babies, but I would say do not rise the baby (hold it high) enough for him to have to jump. Maybe get your sis to hold her baby whilst on the sofa, so he can walk up to her and have a good sniff. If you fear there might be any agression whatsoever, make sure he is leaded, and I would say with a head collar just for maximum control of his mouth.

Another way, might be before you meet, get a piece of the babies clothing, and introduce it to him without the baby, then when he meets the baby, the smell will be familiar to him, so he shouldn't get as OTT about the new smell as it won't be new anymore.

Does this make sense?
thanks yep, it makes perfect sense

the walk is a good idea, i think i will arrange tonight a time for my sister to come down on sunday so i can take him out before they arrive and i can also tonight get something with his scent on so jake can get used to it. and definitely have him on his lead. i know he wont be aggressive, he can just get too excitable and boisterous so am worried that he will accidently scratch him (he uses his paws a lot) so definitely want him to be on a lead so he can stay enough of a distance away that he cant reach him.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-02-2010, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
thanks
oh the scent is a good idea! im going to my sisters tonight so think i will pinch one of her blankets that he can smell and maybe ask her to bring him down on sunday . im sure he wont show any aggression, but will have him on a lead and will keep it short enough so that he can smell lucas but cant jump or anything.

thanks yep, it makes perfect sense

the walk is a good idea, i think i will arrange tonight a time for my sister to come down on sunday so i can take him out before they arrive and i can also tonight get something with his scent on so jake can get used to it. and definitely have him on his lead. i know he wont be aggressive, he can just get too excitable and boisterous so am worried that he will accidently scratch him (he uses his paws a lot) so definitely want him to be on a lead so he can stay enough of a distance away that he cant reach him.
All good stuf, but just a bit to add in on the blankets bit - if you have a retrieving type (collies and gun dogs) in fact any type of dog, don't give him the scenty blanket to play with afterwards. He could think a baby might be a toy, if it has babies scent on and try to pick the baby out of the pram/cot - I would also add don't leave him on his own with the baby. I have had lovely dogs who I trust completely, but with a baby I could never take the risk. Scent first and careful steps for me every time.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2010, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
i know he wont be aggressive, he can just get too excitable and boisterous so am worried that he will accidently scratch him (he uses his paws a lot)

Would it maybe be worth just walking them together for like 5 mins for him to get used to the baby being next to him then?

I think a lot of dogs know to be gentle with babies. Try stay calm. This should help him be calm
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >