Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-01-2012, 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by DeeBuzzby View Post
A very interesting article. Thank you for the link. I wonder if the author refers to decamphored rosemary too? Unfortunately we'll probably never know.
I am not prepared to take the risk.

Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
My dog had been having an evening primrose oil capsule every day from an early age so you can imagine how I felt when he was diagnosed with epilepsy and I read about it being a trigger!

I've posted this before but will do so again as it may be of help to someone:

Nutritional Management of Epilepsy
Ness Bird RVN Sept 2008
Arden Grange, Leander International Pet Foods Ltd

There is a possible connection between grain ingredients and seizures. This is because grains have a high phytate content which impairs mineral absorption. This is relevant as magnesium, zinc and calcium deficiency are linked to seizures. The chief grains to avoid are those with a high gluten content; ie wheat, oats and rye. Gluten stimulates opiod receptors in the brain making them more susceptible to seizures. All of the Arden Grange recipes are free from wheat, oats and rye.

Omega 3 fatty acids can help to maintain the structure and function of the cellular and sub-cellular membranes as well as support normal growth, especially of blood vessels and nerves. A fish body oil (as opposed to cod liver oil which is often too high in vitamin A) supplement may be a beneficial addition to an epileptic dog’s diet (unless fed the Arden Grange Salmon or Sensitive as these contain 3 and 4 x the levels in the other recipes respectively). Evening Primrose (also called borage) oil must not be used however since this contains gamma linoleic acid which is thought to stimulate the production of a hormone-like compound called prostaglandin. Prostaglandin can lower a dog’s epileptic seizure threshold meaning that a fit is more likely. There are many cases of this reported in epileptic humans taking EPO. Alpha linoleic acid, as found in linseed, also known as flax (present in the Arden Grange recipes) is fine however.

The Arden Grange Performance may be suitable for epileptic dogs since it contain a number of nutrients that are beneficial. A higher level of taurine is included and this plays a critical role in the function of the nervous system. Taurine deficiency is widely recognized as a cause of seizures in people, cats and dogs. In additional to its specific benefits to the brain, it also affects blood sugar levels (implicated in seizures) and assists in the body’s proper use of minerals (especially magnesium, zinc and copper). Grape seed extract is also included and this has been recognised as one of the most powerful antioxidants. It contains natural free radical scavengers and boiflavenoid complexes that are rapidly absorbed and distributed throughout the body. It has also been shown to promote healthy cholesterol levels and a healthy cardio-vascular system. Plasma carnitine levels are decreased in many people with epilepsy and therefore L-Carnitine supplementation in dogs may be helpful too. This is also included in the Performance recipe.
Since Pereg's first Grand Mal seizure I have changed her diet to mainly raw, added various vitamin and mineral supplements, and learned all I can about possible triggers - literally going through lists of ingredients with a magnifying glass.

I am lucky [although he is not] in that Pereg's vet is also epileptic and has a great deal of knowledge about canine epilepsy - and he is always prepared to discuss things with me as well as answer any queries I might have.

Am I doing the correct things for her? Who knows. Today is Day 114 but that could change within seconds. She is very happy, very contented, and very loving. She just happens to be epileptic!
DeeBuzzby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-01-2012, 07:35 PM
Having spent the last few days reading up as much as I can about diet and nutrition for epi dogs (whilst the dust in my house gets thicker!), I've now ordered some Orijen dry kibble (which the manufacturers said contains only decamphored rosemary) and some Scullcap and valerian tablets. Apparently this supplement can work in conjunction with his PB medication and helps surpress excessive brain stimulation without causing drowsiness. I'll let you know how we get on.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2012, 07:59 PM
I wish you all the luck in the world and I hope you get results!

Just to say, I tried Skullcap and Valerian when my dog was first dianosed but it didn't help at all. However, this was before I went down the medication route and I haven't revisited these herbs since. Perhaps you will be more successful. Please let us know how you get on.
DeeBuzzby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-02-2012, 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I wish you all the luck in the world and I hope you get results!

Just to say, I tried Skullcap and Valerian when my dog was first dianosed but it didn't help at all. However, this was before I went down the medication route and I haven't revisited these herbs since. Perhaps you will be more successful. Please let us know how you get on.
Thanks for those kind words. I've also just bought some "Bob & Lush" kibble and wet food. Its very expensive but I'm hoping my boy will need less of it! At least its grain free and free of any "nasties", so I'm hoping this might help reduce the frequency of Archies seizures. A long shot perhaps, but at least I'll know he's getting excellent nutrition.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-02-2012, 07:12 AM
Going back to your OP question about side effects of Epiphen/phenobarbital, yes it can cause liver damage in some dogs. Some dogs, not all dogs, because all epi dogs are different and all react differently to not just their prescription medication but to all sorts of outside sources.

Some epi furkids tend to seize during certain phases of the moon. Some tend to seize during extreme solar flares. Some tend to seize during sudden changes in atmospheric pressure. But then again some people are also affected at such times, especially people who suffer from migraine headaches.

Some epi furkids are affected by certain types of food. Some humans are affected by certain types of food. Why? Who knows. Why am I allergic to certain things and my twin sister is not?

Giving an epi dog on Pb certain supplements to help support his/her liver does not hurt and might indeed help. Pereg's last blood tests were well in the normal range in spite of her being on a fairly high dose of Pb for her weight.

There is only one certainty about canine epilepsy and that is the uncertainty of it. You do your best for your epi kid and that is really all you can do. And you have to remember one thing.

You live with epilepsy, not for it.

Today is Day 116 [I think]
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5